Thread: HF Air Brad Nailer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HF Air Brad Nailer

I have a Bostich compressor and brad nailer kit that I like a lot and use a bunch. Recently, I decided that a second brad nailer would be handy, keeping two different length 18 ga brads at the ready, instead of having to change brads. However, when I priced the brad nailer at my local hardware store, it was in the $85 range.

Well, I'll admit to being an HF lurker, occasionally picking up something useful. However, I've been forever shy of motorized tools and have avoided all the air tools. A 3/8 close quarter drill was the first motorized purchase, and it works well.

After seeing the prices on the Bostich brad nailer, I decided to try an HF brad nailer. (Item 46309, on sale for $17.99). How can you go wrong for $18 bucks? This morning, I loaded it with 1.75" brads and went to work on framing two pass-thru doors in my office.

First impression: Not bad. The fit and finish is nearly as good as the Bostich, although the locking mechanism for the brad magazine is sort of a cheap design...not quite as positive a lock as the Bostich. Seems to do just as good a job as my Bostich. It came in a blow-molded case, and even came complete with spare O-ring. spare Drive pin, Step pin, and Piston head, machine oil, and 2 hex wrenches. Accepts 5/8" - 2" 18-ga brads. So, I can now keep a second gun with shorter or longer brads and not have to be fumbling with loading and unloading when I need a different brad length.

Anyone else use this nailer? Or, any of the other HF air tools?

Note: I'm not in any way affiliated with HF.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lon LeBlanc; 09-21-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Hello,
    Anyone else use this nailer? Or, any of the other HF air tools?
    I've used similar - a Coleman that was probably made in the same factory in China.
    There isn't a lot of mystery to an 18ga. brad nailer.
    Of the three I have, the Coleman a Tradesman nailer/stapler and a very old Craftsman, all of them work about the same.
    The only differece I've noticed are the better ones use a little less pressure and leave a lttle less of a mark.

I did have a bad experience with a HF 28* framing nailer (pure junk - LOL! I gave it to my fat brother in law ).

Does the 28 ga you bought shoot staples too or just brads?
    ( I usually keep the Coleman loaded with staples)
    If it does, I wouldn't mind having another 18 ga staple gun. - especially if it handled 1 1/2" staples. Both mine top out at 1 1/4".
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

Does the 28 ga you bought shoot staples too or just brads?

Rich,

It's the 18 ga nailer, not a 28. Yes, the reason I got it was to shoot longer brads than my Bostich, with tops out at 1.25". This one shoots up to 2", and all the way down to 5/8". I've got it loaded with 1.75" brads right now. This one does not shoot staples, but there is a very similar model that shoots both brads and staples. It think the sale price was $19.95, but I already have a staple air gun, and don't shoot that many at this point. So, the single purpose gun seemed to meet my immediate needs better.

Lon
    Last edited by Lon LeBlanc; 09-21-2008 at 12:56 PM.

I've got the same gun. Since this is my first and only nailer I have nothing to compare it to but it does everything I expect it to do. I'm very happy with it. On occasion it will not fire but it's rare enough that it is not an issue for me.

I have their cheap impact hammer which is not so good and the sander which won't work with my anemic 4 gal compressor.

Burt

I also have the 2 in 1 brad nailer/staple gun.

We used it when doing the remodel of our house. It worked well. We only used it in soft woods, mostly trim/molding. I saw 1 review that said it had a hard time with some hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Alcantara View Post
    On occasion it will not fire but it's rare enough that it is not an issue for me.

Burt
    Burt,

I also found that if I didn't depress the safety switch fully, that it would not fire....but then, that's what I would expect it to do. I quickly figured out that I had to hold the gun firmly to the work surface and make sure the safety switch was fully depressed.

Lon

Quote Originally Posted by Lon LeBlanc View Post
    ...How can you go wrong for $18 bucks?
    You can go wrong if it turns out to be unsafe because of a manufacturing defect. IMO Nailers are dangerous enough without HF in the mix. I'm very careful about what I buy there. Never anything powered, and never anything too big or heavy to shlep back under one arm should it turn out to be defective.
    - Tom

HF stapler

I bought a stapler a few years ago -- figured it was somthing that I would not use very much. I was right ... I only used it once ... because the next time that I pulled it out of the box it wouldn't work. My nephew is a mechanic, and he and I together could not figure out why it was not working! I threw it in the trash can.

I have this brad nailer and have used it quite a bit. No issues. Just make sure you depress the tip all the way down. I also purchased the stapler/nailer version. I haven't been as impressed with this one.

I did purchase one their 'better' roofing nailers and have used it for two sheds so far with no issues.

When I wanted a framing nailer, I drew the line and said there was no way I would trust HF quality with something that big. So, I went out and bought a PC.

I have 2 18 gauge and 2 16 gauge H.F. brad nailers, a stapler and a 23 gauge pinner. All bought on sale, most several years ago. All work just fine, but then again I don't use them every day in a production setting. I got the 23 gauge pinner specificifically to put glass stops in place in some cases I was building. It worked great. I will admit that I AM considering their 21* framing nailer if I can get it on sale. Again, it would be for occasional use.

Dave C