Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus/Worm

Ok Julie,

It looks like you can get here and post ok. Have you done the TrendMicro scan I posted above?

Since I can't see your desktop from here, could it be that the pop-up that says Unlown Error, please reboot is actually a malware program? What happens if you don't reboot?

Other things that have helped me in the past:
    1- Delete all Temporary Internet Files [Tools] [Internet Options] [Delete under Temporary Internet files] (I also delete offline content when prompted).
    2- Browse to your Windows Temp file and delete everything that will delete.
    3-Reboot and see what comes back. In REGEDIT drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\Curr entVersion\Run and see if there is something loading that shouldn't?

Then if this doesn't work, delete your cookies or at least remove ones you don't recognize.

Good Luck

Red face

I am work posting at this time. I will print out all your responses and take them home with me. No Hal, I have not been able to run yet, my computer kept resetting, rebooting.

Thanks for All Your Help.
    I'll update you all as to what happens. My new XP software is not here Yet, sooo its on with WIN ME for now
    Keep those lathes spinning
    TheWrightPen.com

Charles ANy ONe

what is msinfo32? how do I run check Repair IE ??

The problem is getting WORSE!!! I have tried each mem stick individualy, still get errors....

Here wormy wormy wormy !!! SPLAT!!!!!
    TheWrightPen.com

Julie,
    Click Start...Run and type MSinfo32 in the box and Click OK. In the box that pops up there should be an option to repair IE. Hope that works in Win ME. Just wondering when the problem first cropped up...was it after installation of the new hardware?

The computer hung a little before I started adding stuff, now it gets worse each day. I started changing stuff because of this system hanging up and freezing. So, I added more memory and a larger video card.

HAL,
    I can not run trend micro because when I try to load it it says it cant find netscape pluggins I have tried several times.
    TheWrightPen.com

Try removing one of your memory modules and see if the problem continues. Freezing up is often the result of a driver or DLL problem OR a memory problem. "Suspect" the original memory first...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Already removed older mem. still causing probs.
    what is DLL?
    The drivers are all updated, I checked them earlier.
    I can not run Trend Micro, it wont work on my computer
    TheWrightPen.com

Cornfused

Ok, so I finally got Trend Micro to run. No virus??? I did delete all cookies and some windows Temp files. I have been running on the net for about 15min.
    I have the new stick of Memory in and am going to swap out the video cards and put the old one back in. When I try to shutdown the system I have to manually close each program. A popup screen comes up and says its not responding...

I'll do a swap and let you in on the status... Maybe I have a bad stick and the video card is incompatable with Win ME even though it says it ok to run with it.
    jsut got a popup error.

Unknown error, ..... how do I find REGEDIT ?? what is that ??
    How do I know what Temp files are ok to Delete?

Thanks Once again
    TheWrightPen.com

video card out.. all memory in 512MG, will keep you up to date.....
    TheWrightPen.com

Julie, you can delete anything with the "*.tmp" (sans quotes) extension.

Try putting you "old" memory back in and remove the "new" stuff. You never know...You may have gotten a defective stick of RAM!

"Regedit" is the Windows Registry editor. You go to "Start/Run" and type in "Regedit" (sans quotes). BUT, you really, REALLY need to be very careful when messing around in there! (Not that you can really mess ME up any worse than the developers did in Richmond to begin with! )
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I think its the video card. WHen I shut it down this am it shutdown fine. How can I tell if it is incompatable or messed up (defective)?
    it is Nvidia FX5200 Chaintech 128MG memory.

I checked the system status and it look ok, no interupt errors, confilcts that show up, however when I shut down the system with the new card in it it makes me shut down each program individually... ?????
    TheWrightPen.com

Julie, I just checked out "Chaintech" and it looks like they have drivers for ME dated 2004/03/05. Those are pretty recent drivers, probably newer than what might have been packed with the card. I'd recomend downloading and using those for the NVidia. And yes, it does otherwise appear to be compatible with Windows Massive Errors (ME). (Sorry, just can't resist! ) Also, you may want to check if you have the latest version of Direct-X. Go to your Windows updates and see if a newer one is available for your installation. Good luck & keep us posted.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

My opinion FWIW is to install your new hard drive and load Win Xp. The newer drivers and improved functionality may well solve all your problems. Make your new drive the master and the old one as slave and you can then transfer all important files over. Your email addresses and list of favourites can be exported to a file on a floppy disk and then imported later. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Chuck Wintle; 05-14-2004 at 9:49 AM.

Charles,
    I will load Win XP as soon as I get it. ITs in the mail on the way to me..
    Hopefully it will be here TODAY!!!

John,
    Thanks for checking out Chaintech, hadn't had a chance yet.

EveryOne Thanks for your HELP!!
    TheWrightPen.com

Hi Julie,

Sounds like you are making progress and that's good.

When things get stable, you may want to add the questionable memory or card one at a time and run for a while and see if you can isolate the culprit.

A lot of what you have done may have fixed any file problems and it may not be memory or video.

Sequencing can also be a bear to figure out. For example back on WIN 98 and a Diamond video card, you had to select base VGA in the install and NOT the diamond drivers until WIN 98 was fully functional, THEN install the Diamond drivers from the CD; otherwise, the system would never boot to an operational system. I've had motherboards that funtioned correctly until you clicked on the "red X" in the upper right hand corner of Xcell and then hang city. That was in the PLUG and PRAY days.

Anyway XP is way stable, I would suggest turning on the "system Restore" as soon as it's loaded and before you connect to the internet. And create a back up if possible. Your first internet connection should be to the Windows Update and let it scan for the "Critical Updates". Download and install all of these before you do anything else and install your virus software. Now you can venture out into the rest of the internet or open any email.

Good Luck,

Hal