Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virus/Worm

Julie

If I could make an additional suggestion to Hal's, turn on the very basic Window's Firewall before you connect to the internet, or even better, download a copy of Zone Alarm ahead of time and install it before you connect. There are many bugs out there that can infect an unpatched machine and in some cases it only takes minutes to happen.

To turn on Windows Firewall, open the control panel, network connections, right click on Local Area Connection and select properties, left click the advanced tab, and select the Internet Connection Firewall

I am running Win ME. I am running ZOne Alarm firewall. I dont think windows ME has a firewall, if it does, I can not find it.

So far the old video card is working. I have downloaded the updated FX5200 driver and reloaded DirectX 9.0

Now to put the new video card back into the puter.....

Thanks for your help.
    Keep those lathes spinning
    TheWrightPen.com

Julie, I don't mean to speak out of turn, but what I think Steve is referring to is, when you get to loading XP on the box. You *have* to take precautions against virus, worms and trojans "right out of the box"! On campus, we have the Enterprise Edition of Symantec AV running, but sadly, because of the environment, not all areas have firewalls. Our bandwidth (speed) is phenomenal, with numerous T-3's and such. But, that same speed also "helps" the spread of virus. An unprotected XP install, has an average of 15 seconds (YES! I said *seconds*!) before it gets nailed with stuff like "Welchia" or similar! I even know of instances where, unprotected fresh installs on regular *dial-up* (phone line modem!) have gotten nailed before all the updates could be downloaded and installed! It's not a very safe cyber-space we "live" in anymore! At any rate, let us know if the driver thing clears up the issue, for now. If so, it's something to keep in mind for the XP install, as well.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

If she is using ZoneAlarm as she says (especially if she paid for the "Pro" version), there is no reason to turn on the less capable Microsoft firewall in XP. There is something to be said about a product that not only lock others out and make you "invisible" as well as warn you when applications (or trojans) try to access the Internet behind your back. Of course, all of these products also need to be kept up to date and are not worth much if one doesn't!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keeping upto Date

How often do you all check for updates? I dont subscribe to any computer mags sooooo, I dont really know when new problems arise. How often should I check for new updates?

Now I'm afraid to use XP... BUGS

Thanks again...
    TheWrightPen.com

Most of the virus, firwall and spyware programs have either automatic updating or easy one-click updating when you start them up. XP also has auto-updating. If you are one broadband...it just gets done.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Julie, as Jim mentions, most of those apps have either, automatic or very easy update checking built-in. In addition to that stuff, I would also recommend a "Pop-Up Blocker". Personally, I use Google's toolbar, which has a blocker built-in and have been extremely happy with it.

Please, PLEASE don't let any of this scare you away from XP!!! It is, by far, superior to *any* of the Windows 9x (which includes ME) version operating systems! XP itself isn't really buggy at all. It just happens to be a great BIG target for hackers. Outlook is another big target. I happen to really like BOTH of them, but am constantly aware of them being targets, which in a way, tends to keep me more vigilant and aware of how I use either application. I guarantee that, if Mac or whatever flavor of Linux there is, were the prevalent operating systems for the majority of users, we'd be seeing the exact same thing. Guaranteed!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

boo hiss

I'd have to say its the NEW video card...
    The computer ran fine, had about 10 browser screens open at a time with the old video card and it ran GREAT>>> I am currently downloading the drivers for the FX5200 card and will contact Dell too. This is the card that they sell as an upgrade, hopefully someone there can tell me whats wrong..
    I am at work using the computers there...
    Cant take the computer withdrawl.....
    TheWrightPen.com