Thread: Newbie and a question

Newbie and a question

Hi, this is my first post here but I have searched a lot for the past days about routers. I'd like to begin wood working and eventually become kind of good at it.

About the router. I would like to use it mainly for edges and cutting right now but might be interested in some jigs at some point(dovetail for example) and dados/rabbet. I will principally use MDF at the beginning.

Since I have a limited budget and consider buying used to be able get a better router, I came up with 3 options and would like to have your input.

Triton 2 1/4 HP: I read many good reviews about it. Dust collection seems to be a strong plus. Few accessories with the kit. I'd buy it new.

Dewalt DW621: Strongly recommended by Pat Warner, great dust collection but only a plunger. Would probably need one of his offset base. It is used and it the doesn't have accessories if memory serves me correctly.

Makita RF1101KIT: Two bases, edge kit. Seems kind of poor for dust collection. No switch on the handle.

The least expensive would be the dewalt(used), then the makita(used) and last the triton(new).

I want to buy a good router though and plan to buy a big one(3 1/2 HP) for a table setup in the future though it could be far from now waiting for a second child to come.

Thanks to all for this great forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fortin View Post
    Hi, this is my first post here but I have searched a lot for the past days about routers. I'd like to begin wood working and eventually become kind of good at it.

About the router. I would like to use it mainly for edges and cutting right now but might be interested in some jigs at some point(dovetail for example) and dados/rabbet. I will principally use MDF at the beginning.

Since I have a limited budget and consider buying used to be able get a better router, I came up with 3 options and would like to have your input.

Triton 2 1/4 HP: I read many good reviews about it. Dust collection seems to be a strong plus. Few accessories with the kit. I'd buy it new.

Dewalt DW621: Strongly recommended by Pat Warner, great dust collection but only a plunger. Would probably need one of his offset base. It is used and it the doesn't have accessories if memory serves me correctly.

Makita RF1101KIT: Two bases, edge kit. Seems kind of poor for dust collection. No switch on the handle.

The least expensive would be the dewalt(used), then the makita(used) and last the triton(new).

I want to buy a good router though and plan to buy a big one(3 1/2 HP) for a table setup in the future though it could be far from now waiting for a second child to come.

Thanks to all for this great forum.

I cannot comment on the specifics of your different routers, as I use Porter-Cable routers, but I would recommend that regardless of which brand you choose, go with a combination kit. My primary router is a PC890 with two bases. This allows me to leave one base permanently attached to my router table insert (the fixed base), and the plunge base for hand held uses.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I have had a Triton 2 1/4 for 6 - 8 months. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Nice little machine.

+1 on the Triton... Another happy user. Don't underestimate the value of good dust collection, especially if you are working with MDF. Dust from MDF is nasty.

I used a DW621 for years as my "only" router. Great unit, even without the Pat Warner accessories. The depth adjustment is great (best of any I have used), so no concern that it is plunge only.

I had a 3+ hp unit in my router table, but it was too heavy for routine hand use. Sold it when I had to get rid of the router table.

I wore the 621 out, so bought a Festool router, but had the DeWalt rebuilt and now use the two interchangeably.

I've been using the Bosch 1617EVS for many years. I have the kit with both a fixed and plunge base plus another 1617EVS with a fixed base. The 1617
    EVSPK can usually be found at a good price from various vendors. I got mine through Amazon. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Bosch.

For my router table, I have a Hitachi M12V 15A machine. It seems to be a popular choice for table mounting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Eric, welcome to SMC!

My serious recommendation for a "first router" situation is one of the 12-13 amp variable speed router "kits" that include multiple bases. A plunge-only router is certainly a fine machine, but it's a lot more top heavy and cumbersome to use for things like routing dovetails and edge work. A fixed base or D-handle is the better choice, IMHO, for that kind of work simply for balance. I happen to own and enjoy the DW618 kit and it's my go-to router for certain tasks, even though I own a couple of Festool routers that are simply wonderful to use. Makita (which you mention), Bosch, PC all make great kits of the type I mention.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Eric, welcome to SMC!

My serious recommendation for a "first router" situation is one of the 12-13 amp variable speed router "kits" that include multiple bases. A plunge-only router is certainly a fine machine, but it's a lot more top heavy and cumbersome to use for things like routing dovetails and edge work. A fixed base or D-handle is the better choice, IMHO, for that kind of work simply for balance. I happen to own and enjoy the DW618 kit and it's my go-to router for certain tasks, even though I own a couple of Festool routers that are simply wonderful to use. Makita (which you mention), Bosch, PC all make great kits of the type I mention.
    So I should go for the makita since it's the only one with 2 bases that I can get for the moment. The only drawback for me is that I'd have to remove one hand from the handle to turn it on/off.