Thread: A wire gloat .......... say what...

A wire gloat .......... say what...

Well I am getting ready to install my sub-panel in my little shop. I have been wanting to do this for a year but when I think about giving up and arm and a leg for some number 6 copper wire I get to thinking that with only one arm and one leg I really don't need to have a shop anyway.

At work the other day I was talking to the facilities manager about how I could get some wire with the company discount. We talked about it and all I had to do was let him order it and I could go pick it up and pay cash.

Then he said how much do you need, I responded with 3 number 6 wires 110 ft. and one number 10 at 110 ft. His ask if it was going to be in conduit and I replied yes...... he said come on.

We went out to the scrap yard area and there was some pallets with number 6 wire. We had pulled it from the parking lot lights because the end connector had gone bad and it was to short to fix.

So I came home with 4 number 6 wires 150 ft long and 1 number 10 wire 150 ft. long.

Cost $0

So now I can get the sub-panel installed and keep my arm and leg.

P9135586.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 09-14-2008 at 9:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    It's good to see good things happening to good people....

Congratulations......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Congrats Bill! That should do the job.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Now that's a gloat!!! Congrats Bill. So when are you starting? Yell if you need a hand. I'm sure I could spare a day out of the weekend. I'm in the middle of a room remodel with drywall compound right now, but would love a way away from it, if you know what I mean!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim, if it was me in the middle of drywall compound I'd take a week's unpaid vacation to help Bill. Did I mention I hate taping and mudding?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Congrats Bill! That should do the job.
    It better, I am getting really tired of the mess I have now and it will be nice to run more then one thing at a time, like the saw and the vac.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Now that's a gloat!!! Congrats Bill. So when are you starting? Yell if you need a hand. I'm sure I could spare a day out of the weekend. I'm in the middle of a room remodel with drywall compound right now, but would love a way away from it, if you know what I mean!! Jim.

We there is no way I would want to pull you away from a really fun job like that.
    I have the conduit underground and all I have to do is pull the wire and that should not be to hard. Then just wet my fingers and see whats hot and whats not.

Drywall is evil!! Drywall finishing is torture. Every project I do seems to bog down at that stage. Maybe I shouldn't be so cheap and hire it out.
    Last edited by Ben Franz; 09-14-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Remove stupid comments.

My drywall guy for the addition wasn't a drinker on the job...but he did like to sing at the top of his lungs while hanging 12' sheets one-handed on a ladder. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My drywall guy for the addition wasn't a drinker on the job...but he did like to sing at the top of his lungs while hanging 12' sheets one-handed on a ladder. LOL
    Maybe he got his high some other way???

Bill, be sure to get you a tub of that slick stuff electricians use on the wire to pull it through the conduit easier. Hopefully any bends will be gentle ones, cause that wire won't bend very sharp! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Open mouth, insert foot up to ankle!! Didn't mean to insult 3 difficult trades - meant to insult my own skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Maybe he got his high some other way???

Bill, be sure to get you a tub of that slick stuff electricians use on the wire to pull it through the conduit easier. Hopefully any bends will be gentle ones, cause that wire won't bend very sharp! Jim.

Oh, did I not mention it has a Teflon coating .........

Slick...er.... I mean cool! Jim.

Done

I now have a completely wired sub-panel and all 5 circuits in the shop are connected.

Wow, it is great, I can run the shop vac, the table saw and the router and its vac all at the same time with the lights and exhaust fan on.

It's the little things in life that make me happy.

WOW! That cable must have just about installed itself!! I take it you already had the conduit laid?? At least the trench dug?? Either that or you really really wanted power to the shop!!!
    Congrats which ever item or combination there of got you up and running! Jim.