Thread: Single Coat OK?

Single Coat OK?

First let me say that I am a new member to Sawmill Creek, as will be evident by my ratings and to those of you who are long-time veterans of these forums. I am delighted to have discovered such a wonderful resource - beats the heck out of most any book, DVD or article as a learning aide, as it offers real world interactivity and experience.

Now for my dilemma/question . . .

I just completed application of a single coat of General Finishes Oil/Urethane Topcoat to my African Mahogany Greene & Greene inspired side table. The Topcoat was thinned with Naptha to provide faster drying/curing, and applied drenchingly with a brush, left to sit on the surface of the wood about five minutes (or less, mostly less), then wiped off with a cloth and left to dry 24 hours. Next, this single, dry coat was smoothed and burnished with 0000 steel wool pad.

I had originally intended to apply several coats of the GF Topcoat finish, but was so very pleased with only a single application and a coat of wax that I stopped at that point. This would also help to avoid any plasticy build-up which might result from further coats, which I want to avoid like the plague - I am trying to get a natural hand-rubbed/oil/wax look.

I am very please with my finish - it has an traditional look to it, it could be well on its way (with time) to achieving a look like that of a well-patinated bench pew in an old church . . . (see attachments)

My concern is whether a single coat is sufficient to prevent any undue or adverse effects on the project resulting from environmental factors resulting from such limited protection. In other words, is it OK to leave the project with just a single coat of this Oil/Urethane finish?

I also want to add that the top of the table will be given several coats of the same finish, as it will be handled more directly and require more protection.

Your advice/comments/suggestions is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see no reason to revisit that finish...it looks great. Those areas of such a table don't get a whole lot of handling. And you didn't say what, if anything, you put on the project prior to the GF material you mention for that one coat.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Let me suggest that what you have at present is a finish that will have little in the way of protection or durability. The slightest scratch or abrasion will penetrate the finish allowing water vapor to begin to reduce the adhesion on the rest of the finish. The GF finish you used is intended to be wiped on and not wiped off. It's quite thin and by wiping it off as you did you have left even less finish on the wood. I don't know what the directions say about the number of coats but I would wipe on at least one more coat. Two coats should not make the finish look "plasticy".
    Howie.........

I agree with Jim - I think that the finish looks great, and as a side table, it's not going to be subject to much wear and tear. What are you using for the tabletop?
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Thanks for the response, all. It appears that the verdict is not unanimous, though . . . but at this point, I am biased toward the 2 of 3 "leave it as is" suggestions, partly because it's the easy way out, but also because I agree that the finish is applied to parts of the project that will not get much handling, and because the piece will be in a relatively climate-controlled environment (indoors). I am not discouting Howard's observations, but feel that a little "aging" might not be such a bad thing. Plus, since this piece is for personal use, the worst thing that can happen is that I might have to re-finish it . . . . any of the possible outcomes will serve as great experience and a chance to experiment.

Another reason why I had some reason to believe that this single coat might suffice in the first place comes from watching all those David Marks projects on TV. He is a skilled craftsman with many years of experience, and he seems to be content with simply an oil finish. As we all know, Tung oil is his finish of choice 99% of the time. I figured, if it was good enough for David, then it should be good enough for me.

There was NO other finish, stain or sealer applied to the project prior to the GF Oil/Urethane. In essence then, this first coat is the sealer.

I plan to finish the top with the same GF Oil/Urethane blend. However, I will apply several layers (3 to 6) for added protection and durability, using full strength coats without wiping off for the final layer(s).

Thanks again to all for the advice.

P.S. Howie, I'm not discounting your advice. It is good to know that one more coat will not result in a plasticy finish, and, depending on how the second (or even subsequent coats) appears when I finish the top, I may just go ahead and put another coat on it after all. Thanks!
    Last edited by Sal Giambruno; 09-12-2008 at 5:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    That looks great, it just won't take much to change that is all.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler