Thread: JDS-Multi-Router / Matchmaker

JDS-Multi-Router / Matchmaker

Hey guys I have been checking out the JDS-Multi-router and the Matchmaker sold at Woodworkers Supply in regards to making mortises and such( but only on the web) are there any of you out there that have these systems? What are your thoughts? I know the JDS is a top tool but it costs a lot more (I have been looking for a used one for a while now) The Matchmaker seems to have a lot to offer for the price. But I haven’t hired much about it in regards to praise from owners … anyone have any insight for me on the Matchmaker or JDS?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Hey, Richard!

We're sitting on the same fence. I've been looking for a M&T solution for quite a while now.

Nancy Laird is the resident Matchmaker expert. She loves it, but not for dovetails. I'm sure she'll reply shortly.

I'm going to need to do quite a few dovetails and quite a few M&T joints (well, hundreds of M&Ts), so I'd like something that does both well. Space is a major consideration for me. I can't have another unitasker in the shop.

At nearly $900, the matchmaker isn't by any stretch "cheap." But the JDS is three times more. And forget trying to find them used. I see them pop up occasionally on irsauctions.com, but they sell so close to MSRP, that we may as well buy new.

I'm tempted to buy a Domino and an Akeda dovetail jig and call it a day.

Anyone have experience cutting dovetails on a Matchmaker?

EDIT -- This review might help. I found it useful: http://www.leighjigs.com/data/FMTFWW.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Hey guys I have been checking out the JDS-Multi-router and the Matchmaker sold at Woodworkers Supply in regards to making mortises and such( but only on the web) are there any of you out there that have these systems? What are your thoughts? I know the JDS is a top tool but it costs a lot more (I have been looking for a used one for a while now) The Matchmaker seems to have a lot to offer for the price. But I haven’t hired much about it in regards to praise from owners … anyone have any insight for me on the Matchmaker or JDS?
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; 09-11-2008 at 5:22 PM.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Look at www.eaglelakewoodworking.com for a very precise, accurate, repeatable method of making mortises for very little money. I've been using a variation of his technique for awhile now, and it is super.

If you have (or can make) a tenoning jig and a router table, you're set. The only thing you might need to add would be a table top with a slot for the tenoning jig to slide in. FAR cheaper than the commercial solutions, and just as accurate.

Bob, thanks for the lead. I have seen the Eagle Lake Power Lift Jig for doing mortises. But I already have a great router set up (a Jointech Smartlift Digital Router Lift with a Jointech fence) so that avenue is kind of out but it does look like it does a great job of doing mortises..
    Thanks, Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I've been using the Matchmaker from Woodworkers Supply for a few years now, got it used for $200. I just use it for floating tenons on all my face frames etc, that makes a nice stong and quick joint. It's a nice machine but I think you could mount a router horizontal and make a sliding table that would work good with the same results. Steve

Steve...PM sent on Matchmaker
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Any more Matchmaker's or Multi-Router users out there?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Look at Wood Works TV series on DIY net (in reruns). David Marks uses it extensively, and is also a dealer for it.

One of the local custom woodworkers in Austin, swears by his. I have a slot mortiser, but he argues that it is better when he does chairs and all the funny angles.

Charlie, I know that the Multi-Router has a tilting table which’s gives it an advantage over units with just flat tables but at a premium price, and Laguna is selling their platinum mortise for about $1000.00 plus shipping right now. I have a chance to buy ether a Matchmaker or Multi-Router both used right now, but I am having a hard time deciding being I could get a Laguna or even a Domino for ½ the price of the used Multi-Router and the Matchmaker for about ¼ of the price. I wonder if there are any tilting tables you can buy to use on the Laguna or Matchmaker that would give you the same benefits.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Sorry, but I am not familiar with all those products. My slot mortiser is part of my combination machine, and does everything I want.

I have looked at the Domino (because of the buzz, not because of desire), and it looks like a very convenient machine, more flexible that a biscuit cutter, less flexible than my slot mortiser.

I have laughed at the cost of the JDS Multirouter (David Marks is a nice guy, but even more of a tool junkie than I am), but have a lot of respect for the local woodworker who has one so I don't laugh any more. I haven't even seen it in operation in person.

In forum discussions, I have seen the question about moving the work (which I do), vs. moving the mortiser (which may be better if you are doing things like large entry doors).

Richard,
    I currently have a multi router and a domino before I bought the multi router I had a matchmaker so maybe I can give you some pros and cons of each. I only use the multi router for floating tenons so I've never used any of the templates.
    The domino is a fairly well thought out tool that is very convenient to use and probably does 90% of my tenoning. what it won't do is long deep mortises like table leg to rail joints, there are some work arounds but it is easier to use the multi router for these, it is also easier to use the multi router to do angled joints again the domino will do them it is just easier for me to do them on the multi router.
    The multi router is easy to set up and has great repeatability, it really shines when cutting joinery for chair parts with all the compound angles and such. it is a pretty bullet proof machine the only part I've replaced is the gas cylinder and router bearings, I couldn't do the work I do with out it.
    The matchmaker is OK and well worth what it cost although it is not nearly as slick or as robust as the multi router it does what it is supposed to. The stops are not as nice as the multi routers and it doesn't do angles although I used to make angled fixtures to hold the pieces being cut not hard to do but takes a little time.
    If I were in the market for a mortiser right now and was willing to spend the money that a multi router costs I would probably look at a dedicated slot mortiser like Invicta sells for about the same cost.
    If I were looking to spend the money a matcmaker costs I would either choose a domino or look hard at Laguna's entry level slot mortiser I think it is much more machine than a matchmaker and probably about the same cost if you figure in the router you would need.
    I think you need to look at what type of work you want to do with the tool and go from there. If your doing things like mirror frames, coffee tables, face frames and benches the domino would work great. If you make things that take larger mortises and a lot of wierd angles then the multi router/matchmaker might be the way to go.
    With all that said My multi router just sits there and I use the domino for almost all my joinery now.
    Tom

Tom, thanks for the insight on the different machines, it great to hear from someone that has utilized a wide array of mortising applications with the different machines I asked about, along with others that are on the market. If I was looking at a new Multi-Router I would probably not buy it do to the cost, but being it Is used I am seriously considering it pending on the final cost. Basically I am looking at something to have the capabilities of making chairs (haven’t tried it yet but it’s on the list) I do have a back ground in cabinet making (worked at a custom cabinet shop for a few years) so if I can get the Multi-Router for a reasonable price that is the direction I am leaning to .. I guess it come downs to price.. if not I am going to get the Matchmaker and make do …also I might by both and just sell one being I can get the Matchmaker for a less than new price and if it does a fairly good job for my needs just use it . I like the idea of not having to spend all the budget on just one tool…
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

matchmaker vote

I've used a Matchmaker for about five years. I make boxes professionally, and used it to make mortise and tenons on tiny parts (3/16 x .5 inch tenons - made my own templates) , through and half blond dovetails (I made my own templates), and slots for dovetailed mitred splines, among other things. I hate using a router portably, largely i guess because i do smaller work, but also because it puts you so close to the noise and chips. I made a tilting table attachment that works best with a vacuum clamp. It hard to clamp down on a table at 45 degrees, so the best approach is suck it from the bottom (please don't quote me on that!). I've recently completed a sort of CNC joinery machine and will likely soon be selling my Matchmaker. I'd keep it if I had a bigger shop, because for some things it's still faster than the CNC, but as I"m getting more fluent with it that should cease to be true. For me the extra x travel of a matchmaker made it a better choice then the Multirouter, though its linear bearings aren't nearly as good. See my work at www.alladd.com. , and drop me a line if you or anyone wants to talk about buying my Matchmaker.