Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right-hand table saw fence v. Left-hand bandsaw fence

Right-hand table saw fence v. Left-hand bandsaw fence

I have been curious as to why we use table saws primarily with the fence to the right side of the blade but most bandsaws are set up with the fence to left of the blade. I know I feel more comfortable using the table saw fence since I'm right handed.

Can someone with an industrial engineering background or tool history background shed some light on this for me? I have often wondered why bandsaws are set up as they are. Thx Creekers!
    Kev G

not always, the 2 Northfield's at school are on the right- otherwise I think it has to do with table having more room on the left.

Here's my guess. Since the bandsaw's table is mostly between the blade and the post with very little width on the "outboard" side of the blade, that's the "logical" place to locate the fence. Actually, you have brought up something that I have accepted without question for a really long time. At this point, it would seem "backwards" to have it any other way. I sometimes mount the TS fence on the left side of the blade and it always feels backwards. And I cannot imagine resawing with the BS fence on the right. Maybe it's just what you get used to?
    David DeCristoforo

Interestingly and related to this, it seems that meat cutting band saws are reverse of the wood and metal cutting saws...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've never seen a wood cutting band saw with the column on the right instead of the customary left position; has anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    I've never seen a wood cutting band saw with the column on the right instead of the customary left position; has anyone?
    If you install the blade turned inside out, the teeth would be such that facing the cutting edge, the column would be on the right. 'Course the blade guides would be in the wrong position and I don't know whether they could be turned around or not. Also, at least on mine, the motor and dust collector outlet would be in the way and the switch would be in an an almost inaccessible position.

Guess the short answer to your question, at least for me, is "No, never have."
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

If you look on OWWM, there a (very) few left-handed bandsaws. They are constructed with the wheels, guides, motor, etc. in opposite positions from the more common right-hand saws. I think that the norrmal setup for a bandsaw allows a right-handed operator to more easily apply pressure to keep the workpiece against the fence. Of course, this could also just be what I'm used to...

It has never occured to me as unusual 'cos I almost always have the TS fence to the left of the blade, that is how I learned, and still set it that way after decades.

(I can hear the "oh my gawd watch for kickback" chorus now but it is okay)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fraser View Post
    (I can hear the "oh my gawd watch for kickback" chorus now but it is okay)
    Why? As long as the fence, miter slot and blade are aligned properly, the wood has no clue which side is the fence side.
    I have two tablesaws back to back. the General has the fence to the right, and a JessEm Mast-R-Slide to the left. The Jet has the fence to the left of the blade. It's never been an issue. I just change hands when necessary.

Kev
    . I think the answer is because the first makers of bandsaws did it that way, and after awhile it would have been too hard to get folks to change if the fence was moved to the right. Just a guess though.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

That has always been my point too Mike, but everytime I mention the "left fence"
    people bring up kick back.
    I dunno....

Like Mike said, in and of itself, fence-right or fence-left would have no bearing whatsoever on kickback. Now if you've set up your saw as some recommend with the fence kicked in (or is it out, I can never remember) slightly at the trailing edge, then moving the fence to the other side might have an impact.

My father was a carpenter most all of his working life and was left handed. He ran his saw with the fence to the left and that's how I learned. It was uncomfortable for me to use a right hand fence for quite a while. I set my saw up without any intentional kick-in or kick-out and put the fence on whatever side of the blade is most convenient for the particular cut.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

When I worked in industry, all the bandsaws had the fence to the left of the blade, and the power feeder to the right. (The feeder came up up out of the tabletop when you removed a cast iron insert).

The feeders were used for ripping obviously, either in conventional plane or re-sawing. Pushing a 12 X 12 through a bandsaw all day is beyond the limits of all except for King Kong.

Now, I know the original question was why is the fence on the left, and I believe it has to do with a large percentage of the population being right handed.

If you are right handed, and want to cut circles or curves, you want to use your right hand to control the cut, using your left hand for suppport/pushing. This means the piece that will be moving the most, will be on your right. Hence the column will be on your left so that it doesn't interfere with the swing of the work piece.

I have a left handed friend who hates bandsaws for just the above reason, it's backwards to him.

Once you've placed the column on the left, the fence goes on the left so that you can stand in the open area of the machine when ripping.

(Now whether the above's true I don't know, however it does make some sense).

Regards, Rod.

Also, if the fence were on the opposite side of the column, you would only be able to cut a piece of wood that was as big as the space between the blade and the column. That would be no good!

Also, if the column was on the other side, you would need to make different blades to fit those machines.

Blog Entries
    My BS fence will go either side of the blade. When cutting bevels, I normally put the fence to the right of the blade as that part of the table is down and gravity helps hold the work to the fence. MOst oter operation the fence is left of the blade because that is where the throat of the saw is.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    ...Also, if the column was on the other side, you would need to make different blades to fit those machines.
    Nah, just turn the blade inside out.

I've seen reports/questions/complaints from folks that have gotten new blades that when mounted either have the teeth on the wrong side (like for a left column saw) or pointed up instead of down. All you have to do is turn the blade inside out. Doable, but easier with a narrower, shorter blade.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA