Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3520b waiting at the truck terminal

3520b waiting at the truck terminal

Hi everyone,
    I need some help. I got a 3520b before the price bump and its waiting for me at the truck terminal in St. Louis. I'm out of town on business til thursday and they say I gotta pick it up by Friday. I don't think they'll send it back but I need to pick it up and I need to be prepared. I've got a Buick Enclave SUV with plenty of room in the back, though not enough for a pallet (37" wide liftgate). I don't have access to much physical help lifting the thing. Can anyone tell me how much the heaviest piece weighs. I'm thinking I'll just get some bodies from the temp help place but I'm not sure how many bodies are needed to lift the heaviest piece. I got the cabinet saw in myself with a two wheeler so I'm reasonable physical, just need to know how many extras I need. Neighbors are no help, they don't like my noise anyway.

Pics will be on the way 'cuz at this point it hasn't really happened, right
    thanks
    Pat

I think the bed is about 200 lbs, the bed and motor/headstock are the two thing I would have trouble with, the rest is manageable. The motor stock is probably about 130 lbs but awarkward and fragile. One other person should do it. Or just buy a 500 lbs lift tabe like this from HF fast and you can probably do it yourself since the bed is off the ground anyhow on the palet you only need to slide it.

You can look at my thread a couple days ago and see what the packageing looks like and how itis packed if you haven't already.
    Last edited by jason lambert; 09-09-2008 at 12:45 PM.
    -=Jason=-

Pat,

The heaviest part is the headstock/bed combination. I'd bet it's well at or near 400 lbs. You can take the tailstock and the head stock off the bed. This would probably get the bed down to near 200 lbs. The head stock because of it's shape, size and weight would be interesting to carry but do able. Be advised, that box on that huge pallet is full to the gills. I think it's doable and it wouldn't take maybe yourself and one other person with some strength. The leg assemblies are separate....probably around 100 lbs. each.

I moved mine on the pallet the length of my shop by myself by just pushing and shoving it. It didn't take 30 seconds that way. I assembled mine by myself. I used my Little Giant ladder as an a-frame and attached a come-along. I raised one end of the bed with the headstock on...bolted on one leg assembly. Then slid the headstock to that end and raised the other and bolted on the other leg assembly.

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very creative Ken. I got everything assembled on my own excepting lifting the headstock. For that I needed two people and with my impacient fathor that just grabbed the thing and tipped it when I wasn't looking still scratched it.

Pat also bring towels and blankets this is full of oil and I would wrap the headstok / tailstock so it doesn't bang anything or poke a hole in one of your seats depending on how you pack it.
    -=Jason=-

If you have a Home Depot near you go rent one of their trucks. They rent them by the hour and they are pretty cheap. I have used them several times on stuff that I did not want to mess my own truck up with. It is not very hard to do $500+ dollars worth of damage to a vehicle. Just one slip and you can have a pretty bad mess. Don't ask me how I know.

Good Luck and congratulations,

Alan

BORG truck

Alan,
    good idea, I was leaning that way and now that I know I can break this down to pieces I can handle with maybe one exception, that is the way to go.
    thanks everyone, you are the reason this forum is so cool.
    cheers
    Pat

Pat, if you have to get the thing downstairs to your basement and are looking for help, google Show Me the Move. I think they'd charge you $100 (per hr?) for two guys to move it for you. If you meet them at the terminal, they may even load it on their truck and take it to your house - but you'd have to inquire.

I've used them in the past and was happy with them.

Another option for assembly without help is an engine hoist. I picked up a two ton hoist on sale at an auto parts store. It'll also come in handy for those big bowl blanks down the road.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Thinking about what Ken did you may be able to pick up the end of the bed without the head stock put it on blankets on the edge of the truck/trunk then slide the headstock up to the top as a counter weight pick up the bottom and push it in. If you have some old broom sticks, pvc (someting round) you could alwas put a couple under the bed to help roll it in.

Just thinking out loud.
    -=Jason=-

gonna rent the truck

I'll rent the truck from the borg. My shop is in my unfinished walkout basement (divorce isn't all bad). I can drive around back because I don't care about the grass and its a corner lot so at that point I just need to get it about 10 feet to the patio, at most. I think I can get it the rest of the way with one of the carts mentioned earlier. If the heaviest piece is 200lbs, I'm pretty sure I'll be okay.

I'm thinking Creeker day at my house friday, steaks on me and I'm golden!
    Of course, the fine print reads no steak til mustard is in basement!

Pat

Instead of renting a truck and hauling it yourself, is paying the trucking company to deliver to your house feasible? Seems like I paid about $85 for residential liftgate service to get it delivered. When they put it at the curb I was able to use a hand truck with some help to move each piece at a time.
    God is great and life is good!

You might want to check with a local towing company with a flat bed. Some will pick up and deliver thing like that.
    Scott

We've got a company here called "Rent A Wreck". I rented a pickup truck with a lift gate on it and used that to unload my machine.
    Fairly cheap as I remember, since I only rented it for 1/2 a day.

You'll be fine w/ the Home Depot truck. I lost so much sleep before picking mine up at the freight yard. I just took apart the cardboard crate on the truck and carried the various components into the garage. Get a friend to help with the heavy stuff and you'll be fine. It turned out to be a lot easier than expected. Even if you are moving it to a basement. Good luck and have fun!

How many 3520b's did they sell?

Tool Nut and Osolnik must have sold a million of these mustard monsters just before the price increase. Just set mine up yesterday with a friend and a lift dolly. Very slick.
    -bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    Tool Nut and Osolnik must have sold a million of these mustard monsters just before the price increase. Just set mine up yesterday with a friend and a lift dolly. Very slick.
    -bernie
    Still running some specials boys if anyone is interested....