Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Oak vs. Red Oak?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    This man, who has a degree in some kind of wood/tree/forestry field said that there was no way to tell the difference between red and white oak by eye. He said that it could only be definitively identified under a microscope.
    Sounds like he is book smart, but no common sense. Either that or what Ben said.

I recently had some oak floors done in my home. I wanted the new floor to match the existing. I had 3 estimates. The floors are finished with an amber varnish.
    Each estimator came in and immediately said red oak and not one of them had a microscope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    Next thing he'll be telling you that a microscope is required to tell the difference between a cougar and a puma.
    Wait a minute. I thought a cougar was a…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Dont confuse matters, that is obviously a mountain lion.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Spear View Post
    Jim Becker's "cold drink" test is right on the money. The channels of red oak are open all the way. Roy Underhill used to demonstrate it on his tv show. Take a stick of the wood about a foot long. Stick one end in a glass of water and blow. A red oak stick will allow air through and cause bubbles in the water. White oak will not. The pointy-rounded leaf method will also work if you still have the leaves to look at.
    Will this work if the wood hasn't been dried yet, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Wait a minute. I thought a cougar was a…

Guys, guys, guys, here's how to spot a cougar............

* She dresses quite suggestively, often younger than her age -- she wants desperately not to look middle-aged.

* Her clothes will generally be tight or low-cut -- anything to make a guy notice her. From afar she might look like a young hottie, which gets guys to approach. Get close, see the wrinkles and makeup, and her true age becomes apparent -- but by that time she's already being flirtatious and has lured you into her lair.

* She'll often be a smoker (cigarettes are a sexy prop, and "got a light?" is a good approach) who dies her hair (blonde is most popular) and dolls herself up (seems to be sponsored by Revlon).

* They often hang out in groups, acting as wingwomen for each other. On the other hand, given their considerable experience and resulting confidence, they will not wait for their friends to hit the bars. Logistically, it's easier for an easily picked-up woman to fly solo.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Yea, but it might not taste as good... LOL

Seriously, the reason that this test works is that red oak's structure is just like a soda straw. That's one of the reasons you don't want to use Red Oak for outside projects. White Oak's structure doesn't have this feature.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Somebody should try it and let us know.

I've got both types growing on my property. If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll try it. I've always told them apart by the leaves and the bark, plus the tint of the wood. Perhaps I've been fooling myself all these years.

James

Usually you can tell them apart using one or multiple of the methods suggested. Still, sometimes it's hard to tell (I know from buying green oak from a local sawmill, I swear sometimes it seems like there are hybrids).

Another test that the US forest service devised is to test with a solution of sodium nitrite which causes a color reaction on the end grain.

For more see:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1985/mille85a.pdf

Trying to blow air through a piece of oak (or sucking water through) is the easiest, sure fire way to tell red from white, without the leaves or acorns present. As was stated earlier, red oak allows water or air through it while white oak does not. This is because white oak has tyloses(sp?) in the pores. This is why white oak is used for whiskey barrels. Red oak would allow the whiskey to pour out.

Try this...

Try this. Build a small boat with both kinds of oak. A year later the rotten parts will be red oak and the solid parts will be white oak.

QSWO - Obvious discriminator

I agree with all I have read about the leaves, bark, smell, and permeability of Red Oak. I disagree about the pink tint of Red Oak - I have bought white oak with a pink tint - it is rare, but it happens. I know when I have been cutting red oak - it smells different. But, as woodworkers, are we not missing the obvious? That is, we pay lots of money for QSWO because the flecks are huge compared to QSRO and they do not absorb dyes and stains as well as the other wood and thus stand out, especially on mission and arts and crafts furniture.

When I go to Northland Forest Products or some other mill and having bought many thousands of BF of white oak, I have been taught by the managers what to look for so I can spot the good boards. (With special appreciation to Warren Bickley in Manassas.) They point out that on a rough board you can spot the flecks and rays on QSWO - they just stand out. The flecks are also much longer and bigger. I agree - some are outstanding to look at just rough cut. To verify it is white oak on plain sawn boards, just look at the QS edges - the rays and flecks will be there. Another thing I notice - white oak is almost always brown (contradiction) and when you make a floor out of white oak - it is more beautiful, IMHO, then red.

Bottom line. Silly to say you can only tell for sure under microscope.