Thread: Concreate Floor

Concreate Floor

I built my shop over an old shed slab. It was not finished well at all. Is there something that I could paint over the concreate to...

A. Lighten up the color?
    B. Fill in the very rough parts, and make it smooth and easier to sweep?

They make stuff to patch patios and garage floors (I think). I would think garage floor paint (epoxy based stuff that you sprinkle grit on top of while wet for traction) would work and be available in a light color.

Talk to a concrete contractor that knows his stuff. There is a material available for leveling between 1/6" and 1/2". Ask for a recommendation from the local concrete supplier.

Normal conrete isn't what you want.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

As a start you might want to take a look at http://www.sikacorp.com/. They specialize in concrete repair products.

Brad

Look here. This may help.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...464144,00.html

I think this (or a similar brand) is what they are talking about in the above article. - QuikreteŽ Vinyl Concrete Patch
    Last edited by David Freed; 09-05-2008 at 4:45 PM.

I used the Rustoleum garage epoxy product and it worked really well. I'm very pleased with it. It looks great, is easy to clean, grips well due to the color chips in the paint, and is very durable. I would use this stuff on any garage floor or basement floor. It's also simple to apply.

My garage floor was brand new, so that makes it easier, but they give you a cleaning product in the kit that preps the concrete prior to application.

7. I used the Rustoleum Professional Epoxy product. I picked up (2) kits for $99 at Lowes 6 or so weeks ago while they were on sale. It was easy to use and looks great. My wife even gives it a two thumbs up!

The cleaning was the hard part. Just a lot of scrubbing and washing. Nothing a little elbow grease and a pressure washer didn't fix

Hi Kent. Stop by Lowes and look at their concrete patch cement. It mixes and applies just like regular cement. I would use that to fill the dings in the floor before doing the epoxy paint. We have Sherwin Williams Tile Clad-2 epoxy on the floor of our garages and the shop. It has been a winner for us.
    Best Regards, Ken

There is a material that can be applied to conrete floors that can fill voids, low spots and will level the floor. I will find out what it is and get back to you ... I don't think it is a DIY process. It is very strong and can be applied in a relative thin lift!
    Leo

I think Quikrete Resurfacer is what you want.
    http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...Resurfacer.asp

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Talk to a concrete contractor that knows his stuff. There is a material available for leveling between 1/6" and 1/2". Ask for a recommendation from the local concrete supplier.

Normal conrete isn't what you want.

I'm a supt for a GC that has done a lot of concrete work as well. There are lots of different products out there for leveling/patching concrete floors. I have personally used ARDEX K-13 on the job and in my own home. It is a self-leveling product and it works pretty good if you follow the instructions. IIRC I paid about $35/bag. Should cover about 25-30SF @ 1/4" thick. I think you can use it from 1/16" up to 1.5".

I also have a very rough and not-at-all-level concrete floor in my shop and have wrestled with either using the K13 on it or just building up a wood floor on top of the concrete.

+1 for the Rustoleum epoxy flooring. I did mine about 4 years ago and it's holding up very well, although the areas where I park the cars are worn through. I went with the gray and it lightened things up really nicely. I was at Menard's a couple of months ago and noticed that they now offer a lot more color choices, including even lighter shades. It's also easy to sweep and mop, although it gets very slippery when wet.