Thread: Bad Weather Expected Here Saturday, Service Interruptions Expected

Bad Weather Expected Here Saturday, Service Interruptions Expected

From our Local News:

Virginia, North Carolina brace for Tropical Storm Hanna

Rain and wind from Hanna could start as early as Friday night, where some residents shuttered houses and stocked up on food and sandbags and schools canceled events and changed sports schedules.

We are expecting the worst of the storm on Saturday afternoon at about 2pm. Unfortunately this is also a high tide period of time so some flooding in our area is expected, we are located right at sea level here on the East Coast.

The SawMill Creek server will remain online as long as our Internet Provider remains connected. Historically we are almost guaranteed to lose our Internet and Electrical services here in Hampton Roads due to trees falling on power lines.

If we go offline we wil do our best to restore our service ASAP.

We're in the fringes of Hanna right now. She doesn't seem to be much of a storm and hopefully will weaken before she gets to you.

Hunker down and stay safe.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Thanks Belinda,

Hopefully we wil just get some much needed rain here.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Keith. Good to have the heads up. You all take care out there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks, Keith...I'm sure you'll handle what's important first (family, etc.) and then see to SMC as needed.

As to the rain, we need it badly, but I'd prefer not to have 6" all at once since it just runs off!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Be safe Keith!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Kind of a non-event here in Hampton Roads, eh, Keith? At least here in Norfolk we got some high winds and a few branches down, but I didn't even get to start up the generator!

Guess I should count my blessings. We have another one on the way..

Raining "saws and hand planes" here in SE PA right now...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A good bit of flooding here and some trees down but no other damage on the Fran/Floyd level.

James

Here's praying for all of you to be safe through the weather.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm hoping I get to sleep through this and only have a yard full of black walnuts when we wake up...
    WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO RAPIDLY SHIFT EAST AND INCREASE TO 35 TO
    45 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH BETWEEN 9 AND MIDNIGHT TONIGHT. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE MAINLY BETWEEN 10 PM AND 4 AM TO THE EAST OF THE TRACK OF HANNA...WITH GUSTS UP TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE. BASED ON THE CURRENT FORECAST TRACK...THIS WOULD PLACE THE STRONGEST WINDS ACROSS RHODE ISLAND...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I don't know about other places, but here in Hampton Roads -- well, that was anti-climactic. I spent all of Friday battening down the hatches at my wife's grandmother's place (~90 years young and lives on a tidal creek -- gets flooded every time) as well as securing our place.

Biggest problem -- keeping the 1 year old entertained who kept saying "Outside? Outside?" Lost a tree branch, but really, the rain and wind didn't last that long.

Hope it was that easy for the rest of you.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Yards a mess...but no damage around here. Slept right through it.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

It was basically a non-event here on our side of Hampton Roads as well. All of the time and work spent moving all the yard stuff and the construction debris from the Barn rehab project wasn't necessary after all.

I'm not complaining, the fact that we didn't lose power and have to go through weeks of cleanup is a blessing. I hope the other storms out there either go elsewhere or weaken to the level that this one did before visiting Hampton Roads.

Besides having to put everything back outside today all we have to show for the storm here is plenty of leaves on the ground

My new roof on the barn got a good test and passed with flying colors, everything is dry as a bone.