Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, I'm being attacked by wood!!

Help, I'm being attacked by wood!!

I had been doing a little research on wood turning before I got my lathe, and wondered where I would ever get the wood to do wood turning. When the LOML gave me the lathe, the first question I asked was where will I get some wood. We live in the heart of the desert, and there are very few indiginous trees here. Well, apparently that was one of the stupidest questions I ever asked.

So now, my question is where do I store all this #@%&$% wood? I had a recent box elder burl score http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89426 , my in laws bestowed a gift of some maple braches they cut last week, and Monday, dear old dad called to ask for help cutting down his apricot tree. Guess where the wood went? If you guessed landfill, you guessed wrong! I told my wife if anyone offers wood, the answer is no, unless it has fabulous burl or figure. She looked at me an said I absolutely agree...., unless it's black walnut. We need black walnut. Well, no worry there, they are not indiginous, and there are very few around.

At breakfast this morning, I was reading the paper, and in the want ads under home and garden, (don't ask me how I saw it, I only read the tools section), there was an ad that read" Large black walnut tree, free for the taking". The phone number is local. It's a sickness I tell you. I need professional help!

No, I don't have pics of the maple and apricot yet. The only thing I do in my spare time is oil and refuel the chain saw. I can't even find time to turn all of the Christmas gifts on the list because I'm too busty getting wood.

So, I guess my question is does any any have some creative ideas for storing all this wood? Preferably somthing that won't be a fire hazard. SWMBO loves the wood, but doesn't want it cluttering the yard. I have a shed on a foundation with a crawl space underneath. It is damp and moldy, and I thought about storing a few items there, hoping to induce some spaulting. The species I have the most of are: poplar (want to spault) russian olive, apricot (want to spault some), Black walnut, ash, and box elder (want to spault some). Any storage suggestions are welcome.

Hi my name is Brian, and I'm a woodaholic!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian....about that wood storage building you are about to build......

Congrats on the wood!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

There are worse afflictions, of course...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A new pole barn? Congrats on having such a problem! Looking forward to the photos of your black walnut score!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

The only solution I've found is to spend evenings and weekends roughing out bowls etc. and wrapping them in newspaper.

Only problem with that solution, is that there's still a several years worth of wood left over at the end of the evening or weekend.

A friend of mine told me that he and his wife agreed that he couldn't take in any more wood in unless he turned several pieces or threw out/gave away a couple of pieces of wood.

Smile

[quote=Jim Underwood;919187]... there's still a several years worth of wood left over at the end of the evening or weekend.

Jim, my only comment is "Pick up the pace Bubba!"
    God is great and life is good!

For lack of anything better, you could store it off the ground (on old pallets), in the shade, covered with a heavy tarp (in a fashion that permits air flow around the wood). But a heated and air conditioned building on a concrete foundation would be better.
    Richard in Wimberley

my name is scott and I am in step 1

hi brian.. welcome to the meeting,
    wood scores are always more than you can work up in a timely manner so how to store it.
    I have several huge piles of wood that at one time was wonderful and sure sure I am going to get to it.
    now . step one
    yes I have a problem
    I A. like to bring home more than one peice
    B. if I can lift it .. its mine.
    C. eyes bigger than your lathe.
    soo
    to store it. I have taken the steps of using the chainsaw to make planks of it . two parrell sides no pith ( easier to lift and stack ) then I seal the ends and sides with good sealant anchor seal is 5 times better then some of them.then I sticker the blocks in the barn (cement floor,drafty walls and no sunlight!) blocks are normally 4 or 5 inches thick. they split abit but do mostly ok. and I can see what each one looks like on the end. ps write what type of wood and the date on everything
    this way you end up with mostly good useable wood and almost orderly
    second step if you like a peice . turn it green or cut it round on the bandsaw into a bowl blank then end seal totally and paper bag it and stick it under that shed of yours. 3 yrs from now you will be digging those blocks out .and they will be dry I have a spare bathroom i use for a drying room with wire racks for finish demensioned green turned bowls to dry on . and can store 20 blocks/ blanks on the 3x2 floor and 30 bowls in the racks . wont tell you how the spare bedroom looks but to say . damn I got alot of sanding to do ./ would also work for rough turned stuff
    good luck .. stick with the program we all never get passed step # oh need some wood? I got some to spare....

Brian

You are right it can be a problem. My two suggestions:

1) Scott is on the right track slabbed out blanks stack nicer than logs. I think they keep better too in that the pith is gone.
    2) Recently I have teamed up with a couple guys that collect alot of firewood. So I help take down a tree, I slab out the blanks I want right on site. They haul off anything I don't want for thier fireplaces. It keeps me from hauling home a whole tree just for the 6 to 10 blanks I will use.

This said it sounds like the wife supports the addiction so whats the problem.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Brian I went down to Sears and bought me a 10 X 13 metal storage building. I put some of those plastic shelves in it from Wal-Mart to hold and store the wood. I have shelves along the outside walls and a set down the center which gives lots of storage. I was like you and couldn't figure out what to do plus the wife didn't want piles of wood everywhere so she suggested this option and it won't break the bank.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

A devious suggestion.

Brian:
    You could build one of those arched pipe, film covered greenhouses. You should be able to get an 8' X 24' for less than $500. complete.

Next you fill the greenhouse with the green wood in what ever form you choose. You tell your wife it is a greenhouse for greenwood, but IF she wishes to use it for growing plants or some other such nonsense she is welcome -- AFTER you empty the greenhouse of the greenwood. This process will require that you spend considerable time and money making stuff in your shop with the wood that used to be green. In order to pick up the pace of completion, which you could do IF she would be so kind as take over the lawn mowing responsibilities. If she goes for this you have it made! You can now add to her list the oil change on the car, home repairs, shopping days, etc. . I will say that some wives are masters of this technique and you may find yourself in shark infested waters. Tread carefully!

I am not serious! The greenhouse is one possibility, and they are cheaper than most options.

Of course Brian.....Tamara's latest desire....a PM3520B would relieve you of the problem quicker because you could cut and turn bigger blanks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Brian PM me and I will give you my address to send it to PA !!!! Any woodturners PM brian he will send us wood!!! Thanks Brian !

I rented a 10 X 15 unit at A Storage Inn 2 yrs ago to store logs and all my flat boards. Cost is about $800/yr, but it was that or nothing, because I have zero room for storage here at home.