Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brad or Finish Nailer

I run a cabinet shop and we use the 18ga more than anything. In the shop, the nail only has to hold the joint until the glue dries. When putting up trim, we use the 16ga because there is no glue involved. As Jim stated, the 18ga sometimes follows the grain in the wood, especially with harder woods like oak, hickory, and sometimes maple. We use a 23ga pinner to nail up raised panel doors, again because it only has to hold the joint until the glue dries. We mostly use the 1 1/4" nails in the 18ga, 1 3/4" (sometimes 2") in the 16ga and 1/2" in the 23ga. We also use a 1/4" narrow crown stapler for the backs of the cabinets and normally use 1/2" staples in it.

I have a Harbor Freight 18 Gauge Brad Nailer that works perfectly and I feel for the home shop was a good buy. I also have a Harbor Freight Stapler 1/2" and it also works like a champ. My finish Nailer was purchased from Grizzly and is a 16 Gauge gun and it also works like a champ. None of these units are real expensive but with a little care they work just fine. My brother has the Harbor Freight Framing gun and we did his basement framing with it with no problems. I would recommend them for the home shop in a heartbeat. I am also with Craig T. Smith in that for $20.00 you can throw it away and buy another if it breaks. However, if you oil it like they say before you use it you won't have any problems.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Reasons View Post
    Aaron,
    PM me with you snail mail address and I'll send you a free combination 18 ga brad nailer and stapler. Was getting ready to give it to one of the charitable resale shops but your more than welcome to it. I believe it is a workforce brand. It will get you started anyway.
    Very nice offer!

For my home garage shop work I don't have room for an air compressor. I recently purchased the Ryobi 18 gauge brad nailer and love it! It runs on battery power, and has a compressor built into it -they call it "airstrike". I got mine at the borg on sale - so shop around. Great solution for what I do at home!

Interesting.....

Let us know in six or 12 months how that Ryobi is working out.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon