Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera Question

Digital Camera Question

For all of those digital photographers out there...I'm looking for the best possible pocket sized camera...any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Very loaded question...after all it's just a tool....and everyone has an opinion about waht tool is best, eh?

I'm a DSLR Canon guy...but my wife has this one in her purse all the time. Excellant pics...and tough as nails.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd850is/
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Tough is good.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Blog Entries
    I have a Canon A520 (4 Mp) that has served me well. It fits nicely in a pocket, has oodles of features or it can be a point and shoot. Its now an older model but a good camera.

Two hints on any camera you buy.

Get one that can use AA batteries as you never know when you will have them die on you. You can get new ones at almost any place in town. Rechargeable ones are great. Dedicated camera batteries tend to go the way of the dinosaur once that camera falls out of production and can only be purchased at deicated camera counters.

Even though the camera accepts large memory cards, think small as cards can and do die and you don't want to lose all the photos from your vacation, the wedding and your birthday all at the same time....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

G9

I am a DLSR newbie and I had the chance to see the G9 in action and it is QUITE a camera. Its on the pricier side but i think its well worth it.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15669
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

No such thing as "best". The review site link that Glenn provided is a good idea. Being a Nikon guy, that's what I use for both my DSLR and my "pocket portable". (S51) The S51 isn't perfect...like many of it's ilk, it has that annoying delay between when you press the button and the picture actually is registered, but the photo (and video) quality is wonderful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am a Fuji guy for "point and shoot" cameras. Fast shutter release, compact, reasonably priced, and very good quality.

I bought the Cannon Power Shot SD 870 IS recently and I am very impressed. Clifford

SMALL compact digital camera

The word is "small" "compact" "shirt pocket"
    The camera is a Canon Power Shot SD1100
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Nikon Coolpix P5100. 12 MP!!!! Small. Rechargeable batteries. Easy to use. Amazing little camera. I got one for my mechanically challenged wife and she finds it very easy to use. And her pics look as good as the pics I get out of my much more expensive D80.
    David DeCristoforo

About the Canon G-9

I have the Canon G-9, so I would second Anthony's suggestion. I actually use it as a main camera, but a couple of professional photographers I know use it as their back up "pocket" camera. It is one of the few pocket cameras that shoot in RAW mode as well, it also has a very good macro setting as well as a sequential shot setting. Keep in mind though it takes a sizable learning curve to really get into the capabilities of it. If you want to see samples of recent photos with the G-9 you could look up the photos in my review of the "Jointmaker Pro" on Bridge City Tools website. (scroll down John's blog until you get to the July 9th entry and follow the links) The photos on my own website were not done with this camera but I'm in the process of upgrading the photos with the G-9.

all the best, Roger

i have always liked the sony compact digital camera's. i also had an olympus, and did not really like that one as much.

i think any name brand point and shoot will do....pay more attention to what size you want and price.

At this point I am definitely leaning towards the G9, of course I'm spending somebody elses money here so I'll have to get approval.

Jason

Resolution is certainly important. But a million pixels give or take isn't going to make a really big difference, unless you're enlarging to poster size.

Get the camera with the best lens you can. If I were buying a pocket digital, I'd get this one. Best lens money can buy, and full manual for when a computer simply cannot get the job done:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...leicadlux3.asp
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.