Thread: Wide Belt Sander Time in STL

Wide Belt Sander Time in STL

Looking for soneone in the St. Louis area with a wide belt sander to help me out with taking a bow out of a end grain cutting board. Not sure why but after the second clamp up it started to bow and hope that a sander will fix it. I would scrap it and start over but it's supposed to be a gift for my mothers birthday in little over a week. If anyone able to run this through their sander for me please PM me.

Todd

You might make yourself a simple bridge for your router and with a large diameter bottom cutting bit flatten it yourself.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I'd suggest posting on Craig's list.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Hi Todd. I don't have a wide belt sander but do have a 22/44 jet drum sander. I live near Holiday Shores in IL. How wide is the piece and if you lay a straight edge on the cupped side how deep is the cup? It may not be worth saving if you are going to loose too much. Also you said it all of a sudden started to cup?? Are your sides being cut square? Sometimes the table saw or jointer can be ever so slightly out without realizing it until you start gluing pieces together. So where exactly are you in St. Louis?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Hi Todd. I don't have a wide belt sander but do have a 22/44 jet drum sander. I live near Holiday Shores in IL. How wide is the piece and if you lay a straight edge on the cupped side how deep is the cup? It may not be worth saving if you are going to loose too much. Also you said it all of a sudden started to cup?? Are your sides being cut square? Sometimes the table saw or jointer can be ever so slightly out without realizing it until you start gluing pieces together. So where exactly are you in St. Louis?

The piece is 12" wide by 1-1/4" thick. When I took the board out of the clamps I noticed a slight cupping but didnt measure it. The next day is when I really took notice when it was around 1/32-1/16". I have since smashed it between a couple boards and put some weight on it to see if I could get it to flatten out some. Someone pointed out the error in my procedure and I have removed the homemade press and added a few stickers to top and bottom and now have a load on it again. It did appear to be better than it was but I think I'm going to give it a few days with the weight on it and see what happens. I am pretty sure it will still need some flattening but to what extent I am not sure. I am 50 miles west of St. Louis in Union, MO not sure how far you are from me.

Todd

distance

Union is a couple of hours from me.