Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which portable table saw should I get for about $500?

Question Which portable table saw should I get for about $500?

I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade from my old el-cheepo table saw. Now my question is which one should I get on my budget of about $500? I am a hobbyist currently working on some kitchen cabinets.

I have mainly been looking at the Bosch 4100-09 and the Ridged TS2410LS, but I am open to other suggestions as well.

I have looked at the Bosch and Ridged floor units at local stores. Here is what I have gleaned from the 'net and my own observations.

Bosch 4100-09

• Retails for $600, but CPO Tools has a $50 rebate right now or I can probably wrangle a Lowe's or Sears 10% discount.
    • Can be purchased lots of places.
    • Apparently there are significant upgrades from the previous 4000-09 model, including a safer guard system, T miter slots, better rip fence, and better dust collection.
    • Lighter than the Ridged. The table is aluminum about 1/10" thick (I measured it in the store).
    • From a stored position, I can setup the saw in a single motion.
    • Several accessories can be purchased including left side and rear outfeed extensions.
    • Only has a 1 year warranty, but there are several places nearby to service it.
    • The unit I saw in the store did not have a smooth table top, which makes me wonder how well my panel jig will slide.

Ridged TS2410LS

• Retails for $450 at Home Depot, which is the only place that carries it.
    • Basically the same as the previous TS2400LS model.
    • Heavy. The table is aluminum about 1/5" thick.
    • Takes some work to setup from its stored position. Lift and lock one side, then go around and lift and lock the other side.
    • Has a 3 year warranty and a "lifetime service agreement", which sounds good, but makes me wonder if maybe they offer this because it needs lots of service.
    • One place nearby for service.

So what do you folks think? Should I get the Ridged, the Bosch, or something else?

Perry

I just got this one a couple weeks ago; seems like a pretty decent saw and the price was right(no shipping charges)

http://www.amazon.com/JET-708315BTC-...0031844&sr=8-1

I would suggest for that price range, getting a contractors style saw with a mobile base instead. Unless you need to be loading this machine on and off your truck to and from jobsites, I believe that the money would be better spent on a unit that is belt driven, has a cast iron table top and doesn't take up much more space. This would especially be more usefull when doing any cabinetry.

I second the opinions to get a contractor or hybrid or cab saw. But assuming you've concluded a portable is really what you need...

If it were my $$, I'd get the Bosch. The Rigid gets good reviews too, but most I've read say "it's a good saw for the money". For the Bosch, the reviews say "it's a good saw. period."

The clincher for me is the riving knife on the Bosch. If you can get it at around $500, you've got a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knudsen View Post
    I would suggest for that price range, getting a contractors style saw with a mobile base instead. Unless you need to be loading this machine on and off your truck to and from jobsites, I believe that the money would be better spent on a unit that is belt driven, has a cast iron table top and doesn't take up much more space. This would especially be more usefull when doing any cabinetry.
    It will pretty much live in my garage, so mobility is not so much an issue as storability. You're right that belt drive would be nice. Do you have any brand/model suggestions for the type of saw you are recommending?

Thanks,
    Perry

I had a similar set of requirements and needs as you and ended up going with a Delta Contractors saw - 36-979. It has two cast iron wings and i went with the T2 fence. I have a small basement and wanted everything to be mobile so i can move them around and use oen tool at a time in the open space.

My local lowes was offering a $100 gift card for this saw when i saw it a week or so ago bringing the price down even further.

Blog Entries

Bosch

The ridgid is a nice saw, but having used both I think the bosch is worth the extra money. As far as I've seen Bosch has made the best portable table saw possible.

Perry, if you're thinking of a contractor style saw, the Ridgid TS3650 is well liked by a lot of people. It's a very solid tool. I don't think you'll find a saw with the same features for the same price. The built-in mobile base is excellent, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knudsen View Post
    +1 on stepping up to a full size cast iron saw if you don't need to lug the saw from site to site. A contractor saw offers alot more surface area (especially in front of the blade), more stability, quieter motor, and usually better long term reliabilty. A hybrid takes up less space because the motor is enclosed inside the cabinet, has better dust collection, and a shorter drive belt to name a few advantages. Any can be placed on a mobile base for portability, some include the mobile base. Check out the offerings from Grizzly, Delta, Jet, Craftsman, Ridgid, Steel City, Shop Fox, Woodtek, DeWalt, GI, and Sunhill.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-29-2008 at 6:48 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Spend a-hundred more and get the RIDGID TS3650. Not as portable, but much better for woodworking.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Lee View Post
    I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade from my old el-cheepo table saw. Now my question is which one should I get on my budget of about $500? I am a hobbyist currently working on some kitchen cabinets.

I have mainly been looking at the Bosch 4100-09 and the Ridged TS2410LS, but I am open to other suggestions as well.

I have looked at the Bosch and Ridged floor units at local stores. Here is what I have gleaned from the 'net and my own observations.

Bosch 4100-09

• Retails for $600, but CPO Tools has a $50 rebate right now or I can probably wrangle a Lowe's or Sears 10% discount.
    • Can be purchased lots of places.
    • Apparently there are significant upgrades from the previous 4000-09 model, including a safer guard system, T miter slots, better rip fence, and better dust collection.
    • Lighter than the Ridged. The table is aluminum about 1/10" thick (I measured it in the store).
    • From a stored position, I can setup the saw in a single motion.
    • Several accessories can be purchased including left side and rear outfeed extensions.
    • Only has a 1 year warranty, but there are several places nearby to service it.
    • The unit I saw in the store did not have a smooth table top, which makes me wonder how well my panel jig will slide.

Ridged TS2410LS

• Retails for $450 at Home Depot, which is the only place that carries it.
    • Basically the same as the previous TS2400LS model.
    • Heavy. The table is aluminum about 1/5" thick.
    • Takes some work to setup from its stored position. Lift and lock one side, then go around and lift and lock the other side.
    • Has a 3 year warranty and a "lifetime service agreement", which sounds good, but makes me wonder if maybe they offer this because it needs lots of service.
    • One place nearby for service.

So what do you folks think? Should I get the Ridged, the Bosch, or something else?

Perry

Several months ago, I purchased the Bosch 4000-09 with the trick roll-around stand. Works great for a portable saw. Can't expect it to work like a Uni or PM. Not too heavy, can be loaded in truck by one person. Goes up stairs easily. Folds up and down in one simple motion. Cuts everything well enough for what has been needed.

The only things I really don't like about this saw have been taken care of with the newer model (4100-09). I was unaware of a newer model when I purchased but it might explain the VERY good price I paid. I looked at as many of the other models as I could find and could always find something I just would not like with others. I liked the Rigid but did not like the stand as well and did not want to be locked to Home Depot for repairs/parts.

What ever you buy, use it and stop comparing it to other brands. Then you will be happy with your choice.

Dar

If you have the patience, that same $500 will have much more buying power in the used and/or reconditioned market. I was in the same boat as you several months ago. I came so close to pulling the trigger on the Ridgid contractor saw, that I changed my mind just as I was about to load one on a cart.

My patience paid off because I ended up finding a reconditioned Delta 36-715 hybrid saw for only $599 complete with a mobile base. For only $50 more than the Ridgid, I now have a hybrid saw with better dust collection, a better fence, slightly more HP, the ability to wire for 240v...all in all a better table saw IMHO.

I have to believe that with a little patience, you could probably take your $500 a lot farther by watching CL, etc.

Get a TS3650

I sure like my TS3650. Got it set up just about a year ago, and it's holding all the alignments very well. Awfully smooth, too. With their new pulley and ribbed belt, there was no need to get a link belt. The stock blade was OK, but I've upgraded that now also. Very stable saw, and the Hercules base, while a bit of a bugger to set up, sure allows me to move the saw around with ease.

I'm taking my half of the garage for tool shop, and expanding into her half when I work. So, when I'm done, everything has to be moved back into my half so that we can park her car. Got everything on mobile bases, and the TS3650 rolls with the best of them. Got the Ridgid on sale for $250 at the time, so I'm a very happy camper.

Lon

There are 2 Powermatic PM66 on Sarasota CL (tools, Aug 28) for $600 each. One is 220 3 phase and the other 220 1 phase. Not mine and I do not know the seller. I already have one of those. It is a good cabinet saw.
    Les

I agree with others who have suggested throwing a bit more $$ at it and trolling CL for a decent used cabinet saw.

Les: If I were in Sarasota I believe one of this PM 66's would be mine, that is a sweet price.