Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unisaw vs Grizz??

Unisaw vs Grizz??

I am continuing to look for a saw and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the:

Delta Unisaw:
    http://www.absolutehome.com/web/cata...A:Jelly%20Fish

VS.

Grizzly
    http://grizzly.com/products/10-Table...Rails/G1023SLX

I can get the Unisaw for $1110 shipped through Microsoft cash back.

To me the delta is the way to go, but I have heard thay have sacrificed quality in recent years??

I have been quite pleased with my Grizzly 1023SL.

I just tinker around the shop in my free time, but it cuts everything and its solid as a rock.

If it were me it would be no contest. I would get the Uni for $1100. The fence alone makes it the better bet in my book.

Either saw will serve you for many years. Grizzly has an excellent reputation for quality machinery at a value price. Delta has an excellent reputation that has tarnished lately for cost cutting in the lower price tools they sell. I have a 2 year old Unisaw that is excellent. Is it the same quality as a Unisaw made 30 years ago? I dont know, and kind of doubt it is, but it should last my lifetime and the next guy, his lifetime. I would be happy with either saw, and would never look back.
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 08-28-2008 at 8:18 PM.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I've used a couple of Grizzly 1023's and now own a nearly identical Shop Fox. All have been great, but I honestly do prefer the real Biesemeyer fence on the Delta. At that price, I'd probably get the Delta, even though both saws are plenty capable. Is the same Cashback deal available on Ebay for a Griz 1023 or Shop Fox? If so, there could still be a couple hundred dollar difference or more....which would sway things more for the Griz.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-28-2008 at 8:21 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I bought a Grizzly 1023SL last week with the cashback and got the saw for about $ 820.00. It's a great saw. I wanted a Unisaw, but read enough on here to realize that the Grizzly was going to do exactly what I wanted and perform close enough to the Unisaw. Some reviews even preferred the Shop Fox fence over the Beis. If I could have had either one for the same price I would have picked the Delta. But for hundreds of dollars difference I am thrilled with the Grizzly saw.

Grizzly service has been great too! I bought a Grizzly jointer a few weeks ago - my first purchase from them. That sold me on their quality and service/delivery, etc.. The 1023SL has been a real joy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hedges View Post
    If it were me it would be no contest. I would get the Uni for $1100. The fence alone makes it the better bet in my book.
    I agree with John. The Unifence is one heck of a great fence system. My advice would be to go with the Delta.

I guess I'd go with the Delta, but how do you figure $1,110?

I bought a Grizzly 1023SL a couple months and have been very happy with it. Very accurate and cuts like a dream. I would definitely make another Grizzly purchase.

Blog Entries
    I've had a G1023SL for about 5 years now and have no regrets - it continues to perform just as I hoped it would. However, I'm equally sure that I'd be just as happy with the Unisaw and in fact would really prefer the Unifence as opposed to the Bis - personal choice. My friend bought a Uni a year or so ago and he is perfectly happy too. In other words - can't go wrong with either.

I believe the Unisaw is still made here, good quality and should have good resell, too bad Delta is putting thier name on some low quality tools. It took them years to build up a good name, how long will it take to ruin it? Steve

Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    I am continuing to look for a saw and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the:

Delta Unisaw:
    http://www.absolutehome.com/web/cata...A:Jelly%20Fish

VS.

Grizzly
    http://grizzly.com/products/10-Table...Rails/G1023SLX

I can get the Unisaw for $1110 shipped through Microsoft cash back.

To me the delta is the way to go, but I have heard thay have sacrificed quality in recent years??
    Somewhere in the back of my mind, "Absoulute Home" is also the same as Hechinger and I recall people having alot of customer service issues with them. Buying something like a table saw, you want to go with a vendor that will stand behind you. The link you have shows that saw at 1900 bucks, not sure where you figure that 800 dollar difference is going to be made up, I thought the MS cashback deal was around 15% rignt now.

Between the two saws, I would go with the Delta as the better of the two, but with Griz if you want good customer service. I am not impressed with the B&D/Delta service, they took a top notch CS organization and eliminated it completely. Gizzly makes a good saw for the money and they do stand behind their products.

If you are looking to get the biggest bang for your buck, look for a used saw. They do pop up and you have to be patient. You also have to be a bit handy and not afraid to work on the tool if it isnt 100% when you get it. Its easier to trade up from used, you can ususally sell them for what you paid or even a bit more. Try that with a new uni or griz.

You could wait until the new Uni starts shipping and try that out - it looks good. Wait a year (or maybe more) and try out the $3K cabinet Sawstop. Depends on what you are going for. Purely price on a new saw now - The Griz 1023 my be the best overall way to go. It is a great saw. SC also has some competitively priced super nice saws and their CS/company president is also super super good. Just ask Sarge and Sniper after the last few weeks!

If you search for the saw through the live.com website, the price is @ $1300, which is before the discount.

As you probably know, I'll be getting by Unisaw delivered next week. I'll let you know how everything goes.

btw, both the UniFence and Beisemeyer versions are available at that price.

As to your question, I agree with John and Jerry, the fence makes it worth it to me (not to mention $300 cheaper)...

If you are looking to get the biggest bang for your buck, look for a used saw.
    You won't find anyone who follows this philosopy more than me. I won't buy new unless the tool I need is too newly released or too rare to be found used.

That being said, if a Unisaw is among the saws you are considering, I think you'd be hard pressed to pass this up. You could wait months, depending on where you live, to find a used cabinet saw under 1k, and that doesn't count any delivery expenses you might have to incur.