Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Converting programs for Engraving Manual Method and Adobe Photoshop

Great thread guys,
    One thing I noticed with some old scanned photos is that they have a patterned effect from the texture of the photographic paper, like a honeycomb ,so just to add to the process I use a slight Gaussian blur of about 2-5 pixels until the pattern has mostly disappeared. Do this before the Filter - Sharpen process.
    They tend to come out really good but now I just have to set up my laser to engrave them properly.
    Also you can play around with the Graphic Pen filter (Filter - Sketch - Graphic Pen) to blend a lot of the small edges to straight lines. Play with the sliders on the right hand side to get the effect you want. It just adds another dimension to the photo when engraved.
    :-)
    Last edited by Richard McMahon; 09-03-2008 at 8:27 PM.

It says in the Photograv manual that the converted file is a binary file and these types of files don't like to be manipulated or you lose the subject clarity
    Ah, thanks. In theory rotating an image SHOULDN'T make any difference at all...you're just lining up (say) an 800x600 grid of square dots and turning them into a 600x800 grid, but with all the dots in the same place. I suppose different programs do tricky stuff on the way round.

JPG files, you have to save the rotated file, so you're adding another layer of lossy JPG compression, but for a 1-bit BMP it shouldn't make a difference.

Rodne/Frank,

Love your work...Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Null View Post
    Normal maps? I seek enlightenment, O guru. <--not sarcasm- I'm not good at 3D
    Normal maps are used in 3d applications to fake depth.
    Here are 2 images. The top one is a section of tread, the bottom is a normal map. A normal map is applied in addition to the image and it gives a great illusion of depth. A "bump map" can be used as well, where the image is grey scale, but normals are the best.

Consider yourself enlightened o-lasah-hoppa....

Thank you.
    I shall choose to believe that "lasah-hoppa" is a seeker of knowledge.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-12-2008 at 8:44 PM.

Smile

[quote=Brian Robison;916156]
    However, as a side note, I shorten the steps myself by not leaving Corel Draw. I've tested Rodney's method both ways and can't see the advantage to going into PhotoPaint. I know the steps by heart and have for probably a year or more. Takes only a minute or two.
    I change a lot of Vector art into a bitmap before lasering.
    These are the modified steps.
    (1) Choose the image and convert to grayscale 300dpi.
    (2) Under Bitmap, resample to the proper size.
    (3) Under Effects / Adjust/ Brightness, Contrast, Intensity bump up Brightness 25, Contrast 25, Intensity 0 (these setting will stay after you do them the first time)
    (4) Under Bitmaps / Sharpen / Unsharp Mask / percentage 500. Radius 2.
    quote]

Another step I use is:
    (5) Under Bitmaps / Mode / Black & White use a dithered pattern and preview to adjust intensity as needed.

I also sometimes adjust (3) Brightness and Contrast settings to suit photo.

Using these steps I get nearly identical results as Photgrav 2.1, as Brian stated, without leaving CorelDraw.

Thanks to all involved!

Neal
    Lasertech Alaska

I have been working on trying to get photographs to lase for a few days now and have not gotten anything good at all (seems like I am on a roll).

My images even when using the "gold method" and variations of the "gold method" yield quite indistiguishable lased parts. As far as being able to maek some of the high quality lased photographs seen around on different sites, it feels like they are out of reach.

it is almost like taking a high level class but having missed the first semester.

My images look good on wood, OK on aluminum but on acrylic it looks like (insert bad word here). I am using 1/4" plexiglass.

Thanks,
    David
    PLS 3.60, CorelDraw X4, Full Adobe Maser Suite (oh yeah), 3ds Max, 6 Dell 690 Work Stations (and a host of other hardware).

I used practically the same settings for plexiglass (acrylic) that I use on glass photographs size as needed, re-sample the 8 bit photo to 150 dpi, and convert to binary using what ever. I etch in reverse at 300 dpi 40-60% speed 100% power.. remember, your image must be a negative image because glass and plexi get their contrast from what ever is behind
    Below is a rough etch in extruded acrylic.. Normally you would remove the background by making it pure black before converting to binary. Once you invert it to a negative image, the back ground becomes white, and the laser ignores it.. If the photo engraves in wood ok, then it should also work in glass if the dpi is low enough (you don't etch photos in glass with 600 dpi..) ths one was done with the cherry setting in photograv (the old one)

Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Is it possible your plexi is extruded instead of cast? It makes a difference.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

And the newbie asks...
    How do I know the differerence?

David
    PLS 3.60, CorelDraw X4, Full Adobe Maser Suite (oh yeah), 3ds Max, 6 Dell 690 Work Stations (and a host of other hardware).

From my understanding:
    1) If it's not clear, it's most likely cast.
    2) Cast is stronger than extruded.
    3) Extruded may have very fine extrusion lines if looked at through lupe.
    4) Lasering extruded stinks more than cast.
    5) Extruded is cheaper.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    From my understanding:
    1) If it's not clear, it's most likely cast.
    2) Cast is stronger than extruded.
    3) Extruded may have very fine extrusion lines if looked at through lupe.
    4) Lasering extruded stinks more than cast.
    5) Extruded is cheaper.
    5A) If it came from the window department at a Borg, it's extruded.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

When you laser the clear cast, it will "frost up" and look like etched glass. When you laser extruded, it won't. If you bought it from a hardware store, it's more than likely extruded and the wrong product for doing that.

However, you can take a can of spray paint, paint the backside and laser through the paint, and you'll end up with a nice product. Just use a fast drying paint like Krylon, Krylon Fusion, or Krylon H20 (some Rustoleum paints take hours to dry).

Hehe....Lee beat me to the borg comment
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Dang, It looks like I have extruded then...

I'll try painting the back of it then lasing through it.

I tried black marble with the gold method and it works great, just had to make sure my image was at the same DPI setting I was lasing at (yeah I know, Iknow... obvious) and had to reduce the power settings.

Thanks for all your help.

David

You'll know straight away generally if you have extruded or cast. Cast leaves a beautiful white engraving, perfect for the laser engraver, extruded is virtually clear and appears to melt the surface. The picture that Bill posted, had it been done on cast it would have looked fantastic. Of course as already mentioned, the smell. Cast acrylic has an almost sweet smell to it (gets too much if that is all you are working with) and extruded..... that just stinks the place up, it's horrid. They use extruded over here in the UK to make registration plates on vehicles, it's much more robust and doesn't splinter the way that cast does.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender