Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished Lathe Tool Cabinet

Finished Lathe Tool Cabinet

Completed my lathe cabinet last weekend.

For two years, it had no doors or drawer faces. I eventually finish all my projects, contrary to what my wife thinks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Di Biasio; 02-16-2003 at 5:20 PM.

Nice looking cabinet, Paul. Got a question about your tool handles...they look like anodized aluminum. Are my eyes playing tricks, or is that what they are...if so, maybe some info on them? Just curious...never seen that before. Thanks--Joe Suelter

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Re: Finished Lathe Tool Cabinet

Originally posted by Paul Di Biasio
    Competed my lathe cabinet last weekend.

For two years, it had no doors or drawer faces. I eventually finish all my projects, contrary to what my wife thinks.
    It was worth the wait. Nice job!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Originally posted by Joe Suelter
    Nice looking cabinet, Paul. Got a question about your tool handles...they look like anodized aluminum. Are my eyes playing tricks, or is that what they are...if so, maybe some info on them? Just curious...never seen that before. Thanks--Joe Suelter
    They are Jerry Glaser lathe tools. M2 Shot filled aluminum handles. I really love the skew The tools are great when turning large bowls.

Hi Paul,

Nice cabinet....and a yummy stash of gouges too!

Jen

Smile Nice

Very impressive. Good work.
    Harvey
    Last edited by Harvey Meyer; 02-16-2003 at 5:46 PM.

Very nice!

Paul -

<b>Very nice work!</b> Only problem is, you end up with nicer shop furniture than house furniture and end up in trouble

Well done,
    Ted

Very nice Paul. I see you keep the same schedule for finishing projects that I do.

I currently have my turning tools hanging on a rack on the wall. It is filled with shavings that have flown up past my shoulder. Every now and then I get ambitious, or the chips get so high the tools are falling out, and I clean it out. I like the drawer storage idea. Some day in the distant future I would like to build some more storage for my shop, and putting a lot of stuff in drawers is high on the list. I never thought about storing turning tools in drawers, but now you have me thinking.

How 'bout them Glaser tools? They're nice, aren't they? I only have one, a 3/4" bowl gouge, but it was a gift from Jerry himself. I love it for beeg bowls.

Bill

Bill,

I find that Jerry's tools hold an edge for a long time so I spend a little extra time getting them sharp.

I have been doing a lot of spindle turning lately. Like the unfinished lathe cabinet, I have a dozen rough turned bowls ready to be finished.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul Di Biasio

I have been doing a lot of spindle turning lately. Like the unfinished lathe cabinet, I have a dozen rough turned bowls ready to be finished.

I'm running out of roughed out blanks even. It has been too stinking cold here to go out and chainsaw wood. And lest anyone think I am wimpy, part of the reason is the wood is frozen to the ground!

How do you find those heavy tools for spindle work Paul? I like my tools to be as light as possible for most stuff. My Glaser bowl gouge weighs in at 4 lbs, and I really appreciate it for hogging off a lot of wood, but when it comes time for finer control, I put it back on the rack.

Bill

Nice cabinet, Paul. I'm in the process of building a solid bench for my midi lathe. I am thinking of putting in drawers, also. Mind if I use yours as an idea generator?

Walt

Really nice job Paul

My personal preference is to have my tools business end up (so I can see the cutting edge shape) and at my left side. Since I'm a lefty, having all the tools to the left works for me, particularly since the headstock is to the left end of the lathe and I don't have to reach over a spinning bowl or spindle. Attached is a picture of my simple setup made from scrap plywood and MDF. Being a thrifty Yankee, almost all of my shop fixtures and shelves are made from cutoffs.

Bill,

I only use the Glaser tools for bowl turning. You are right about the weight.

Paul

Another Picture

My tools were mounted on the wall before I built this cabinet. I like the cart better. It holds more than just the tools.
    Last edited by Paul Di Biasio; 02-16-2003 at 6:00 PM.

Thumbs up Great cabinet!

Paul,

I like it. Such a cabinet to mount my grinders on is on my list, my very long list. You did a great job.

Bob