Thread: The Sheffield and Swiss chisel numbering systems

The Sheffield and Swiss chisel numbering systems

Has anyone seen a chart that shows the Swiss and Sheffield numbering systems for chisels? I saw one that shows one system and what the equivalent chisel is in the other system. Unfortunately, I can not find it on the web. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Dick Onians has a book that lays it all out for you. The Woodcraft website has the Pfeil sweep chart, so that gives you the Swiss Made answer. As I recall, the Sheffield system is a little different. #1 is a straight chisel. A #2 is a skew chisel. In the swiss version, a flat skew chisel would be called a #1s, the s for skew. The Sheffielld #3 would look a lot like a Swiss #2, #4 like a #3, etc.

Swiss V tools are #11-17, each # being a different degree angle. Sheffeild system V tools start in the 30s or 40s, can't remember which. I only have a few Sheffield system gouges. Hope that helps. Search this forum, because I know I've seen some better answers around here. But check out the Pfeil site, too. For Sheffield, look at Ashley Iles site, or Henry Taylor's site.

Jamie pretty well described it. I don't think there's any real equivalence between the two systems - heck, there's no equivalence between two manufacturers who use the same system.

I picked the Swiss system for my carving tools. When I buy a gouge marked in the Sheffield system, I measure the width in mm, then hold it up to my existing Swiss gouges and figure out what sweep it matches best. Then I mark that gouge with the nearest Swiss measurement. So if the Sheffield gouge measures 18mm across and is closest to a #5 sweep Swiss gouge, I mark it #5/18. I keep my tools in order first by sweep number (#1's before #2's, etc.) and then by width within sweep - so a #2/5 comes before a #2/10.

Mike

[Oops, I just noticed you said "chisels" and not gouges. Other than #1's (in the Swiss system) and #1's and #2's (in the Sheffield system) I don't know of any other system for flat chisels.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-23-2008 at 11:31 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.