Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations on a random Obit sander

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    I actually was surprised no one brought up Makita until now. I have their belt sand and it is good. I had Porter Cable belt sanders and I like the Makita better.

Can you get hook and loop with Makita?

sb
    Every ROS on this page is H&L.
    http://www.cpomakita.com/sanders_and...orbit_sanders/

I third the dynabride, for air powered its superior, and if you have the compressor its often better than an electric powered ROS. Just a better overall tool, well US made, air powered tools usually last longer anyways.

The Oct issue of Popular Woodworking compares 10 random orbit sanders and picks the Rigid R2600 as their choice.

Lot's to choose from.....

Ihave a Dewalt 6", a PC333, and a Makita sheet sander. Of these, I use the 333 the most. I have it hooked up to my Fein vac and dust is no problem. The 333 has held up very well but it does vibrate some. I'm thinking of just giving the 333 to my son-in-law and getting the 390. IMHO, there is something to be said for how long a power tool lasts, but ease of use and results are more important to me. I had some corded power drills that I bought from Penny's when they had a hardware dept.. I bought those on the recommendation of Consumers Reports. The didn't have variable speeds, clutches, etc., but they just kept on keeping on. Finally, I just gave them to my kids and those drills are still going. Now I just try to get the best that I can afford. If I can't afford a particular tool, I just without. I actually don't mind doing some things by hand-
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by jim oakes View Post
    Lance, Does it stop as soon as you let off the trigger like PC claims? That would be a great feature.
    Jim... Im sorry, I wasnt paying attention. I just checked and it takes exactly 2 seconds to stop.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I tried a Dynabrade at IWF and it was awesome. I wish I had the air (and room) for stuff like that - so much lighter and more comfortable than electric. I currently have the Ridgid one and it was very cheap and it's ok (it's not the most comfortable, but it's decent value for money).

After my Bosch failed the second time after very limited use I bought a Festool and it's fantastic. The first failure for the Bosch required the replacement of the variable speed switch. I have no idea why it failed a second time because I demanded my money back. I must say that after several emails back and forth with Bosch CS reps over several weeks they did give me a complete refund. They wanted to repair it and send it back. I demanded the refund because I lost confidence in the sander and had already bought the Festool to replace it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I have/had both the PC and the Ridgid 5".
    Gave the PC away to my brother -probably hates me even more now!
    Ridgid is quieter, smoother(less vibration), better DC, longer cord and I like the lighted symbol of the sander on the plug -helps on the powerbar to know which plug is for what tool.

If you want a sander thats really fast and makes huge amounts of dust try a Milwaukee 6125 ( Around $160 and it doubles as a angle grinder). Thats what I use 85% of the time, it really does good on big flat surfaces, nothing you'ld want to use for rounding off corners. I mount the handle on top for good contol. You need a good dust mask and a air filter. Steve

Get big air

I worked with metal before wood and am surprized at how many wood workers only have pancake compressors. Any cheap DA will sand like a belt sander in rotation only mode and still do some fine sanding in orbital mode. I would rather have a cheap pneumatic than any electric. I have the IR palm and have used the dyna at my buddies paint shop. It is lighter and quieter but the IR does the job pretty good. You will need at least a 60gal to keep up with a sander well, but well worth the money.

Shop around

I just ordered a PC 390 at Ace Tool, online, for $129. Watch what you pay. I've seen these going for over $209 at other online sites. SWMBO gave me the go-ahead so I didn't waste any time.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by John Holder View Post
    I worked with metal before wood and am surprized at how many wood workers only have pancake compressors. Any cheap DA will sand like a belt sander in rotation only mode and still do some fine sanding in orbital mode. I would rather have a cheap pneumatic than any electric. I have the IR palm and have used the dyna at my buddies paint shop. It is lighter and quieter but the IR does the job pretty good. You will need at least a 60gal to keep up with a sander well, but well worth the money.
    John If you tried the one I mentioned above you might change your mind, it's as fast as any air DA and you don't need a big compressor to run it. Steve

I have the DeWalt D26453K 5" 8 hole hook and loop ROS. It's a great sander! Really works hard, variable speed is great and the dust collection is great.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=9434