Thread: skews and scrapers

skews and scrapers

I'm still somewhat new to this spinning thing. What size skews and scrapers do you folks find most useful? Thanks!

Jim

Skew chisel -- the biggest one I can get. Mine's 1 1/4" wide.

Scrapers: I have a 1" scraper with a bowl profile on it, and I am planning to get a 1/2" square scraper, and a 3/4" scraper that I will profile into something, once I figure out what that will be.

Jim...I have 3 skews.....a 3/4" straight skew is my "go to" too. I also have a 5/8" and a 1 5/8"(IIRC) Lacer radiused skews I've just started using a few weeks ago.

On scrapers I have a couple but my favorite is a Sorby EXHD..it's thick....lots of mass......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hill View Post
    I'm still somewhat new to this spinning thing. What size skews and scrapers do you folks find most useful? Thanks!
    Hi Jim,

I am afraid I can't help with my own personal experience with the skew. I have just barely started trying to learn how to really use it properly. I have to admit that I re-grounds the 1/2" on that came in my kit into a 1/2" flat nosed scraper. So i have to pick up some new ones. However with my recent research into it I have gathered a great deal of feedback and from that I have seen that most use a 1/2" skew either straight or radiused and then either a 1" or a 1 1/4" skew again either radiused or straight. From what I have been told the 1" vs 1 1/4" is mostly about the heaviness of the tool and it's ability to absorb vibration etc... Given that the larger one might be better but it is hard to tell as again this is all second hand information for me at the moment.

On the scrapers I can help directly. I have a 1/2" round nosed and really like it for typical finish-work scraping needs. I also have a 1.5" round nosed that I really love for roughing down stock when it still has bark on it and for the inside bottoms of larger bowls etc... When things are squared off, my bought wood versus found wood, I much prefer the 1 roughing gouge for rounding it down. I also have a 1" side-scraper for doing small bowls and goblets etc... It is not as heavily but still absorbs the vibration quite well. So I have had need for 3 scrapers from .5 to 1 to 1.5 inches.

YMMV.

Joshua

I rarely to almost never use a skew, so I'll let others comment.

For scrapers, "heavy" and "thick" is good, even when they are small. Because of the way you cut with scrapers (yes, they cut, not "scrape" if you are using them and preparing them correctly), you don't want something that is going to vibrate and bounce around. Many times, folks also tend to extend them more than an inch or so beyond the rest, so thicker and heavier benefits there, too.

I like to have a 3/4" straight, 1" round nose and a heavy bowl scraper nearby, although I actually don't scrape bowls very much at all...I get a finish cut from my Ellsworth gouge that is as good better than I can get from a scraper in my experience, even at the bottom of a deeper bowl.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim - I don't do a lot of spindle work so have stuck with the skews that came with my Harbor Freight HSS set - a 1/2" and 1".

Scrapers really depend on what you want to use them for. I have a 1/2" round, 1/2" spear point, 1" square and my favorite is a Benjamin's Best 1 1/2" heavy duty scraper. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html Great scraper for not a lot of money!

Jim is right - when it comes to scrapers - weight does make a difference!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Jim I am a skew man like Ken. I have a 1/2", 3/4" and 1 5/8" skews. I have two scrapers. One is 1" and the other is 1 1/2". Both are massive and thick. Heft is good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for your replies. Sure gives me something to think about!!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    \ my favorite is a Benjamin's Best 1 1/2" heavy duty scraper. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html Great scraper for not a lot of money!

Jim is right - when it comes to scrapers - weight does make a difference!
    Steve, is this a 3/8" thick scraper?

Thanks,
    Jim
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Steve, is this a 3/8" thick scraper?
    That is the same one that I have. I can go out into the garage and measure it if you would like to know.

Joshua

I use my Sorby 1/2"straight and 1-1/4" skew with a curved profile for turning polyester resin pens. I also use the larger skew as a scraper sometimes. I have made some scrapers that utilize 1/2" and larger lathe tool bits in a 1/2" thick x 1-1/2" bar for mass to turn end grain bowls. The extra weight helps dampen vibrations a lot. The tool steels are cobalt enhanced and hold a good edge.