Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noise Cancelling Headphones ??

I have two pair of the WorkTunes headsets and have owned them for several years. I find that they do a great job of attenuating the machine noise in the shop, and I like to listen to the radio at a low level when I'm working. Doing so with these on lets me hear the music while the machines are operating and it's great that they are protecting my hearing at the same time. They're also great for use while mowing the lawn. Mine are the older versions, so they don't have the ability to plug an MP3 or other external music source into them. The new digital version is supposed to have this capability, so maybe I'll be upgrading soon. About the best price that I've seen on them seems to be at Lowes (wish they carried them when I bought mine).

Charley

I have a pair of noise cancelling headphones that were something like $150. I think they're called "Noisebusters". When I turn them on, the noise from my dc and compressor disappears, as well as noise from the ts and pretty much all other tools, which is both good and bad. Good that it saves my ears, but bad that I have actually walked away from the saw and left it on, only to turn off the dc, take the headphones off, and be like "Holy cow... I left that saw on!" They have a jack to plug an mp3 player into, and the music could be played at a reasonable level, but I ran into significant trouble with the cord between the mp3 player and headphones getting in the way creating a dangerous situation. A good headphone in every other regard though.

Now if they would just build a respirator into it, I'd have it made...

I use a pair of AO headphones, $50-60 as I recall.
    You can jack in an MP3 player, but the jack doesn't fit an iphone.
    Works great. I have to check the shop vac occasionally to see if it's still running.
    I found the dangling wire annoying too, so I taped the mp3 player to the the top of the headphones.

I have a pair of Ultimate Ears Ear buds and I use them everyday for my commute to and from work on the train.

I would not be without them. It is so nice to not have to hear the "noise" that is in the subway and on the streets of NYC.

www.ultimateears.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stolicky View Post
    I just got a pair of these and they work great. They are a little big, but really cushioned....

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...6&filter=noise
    I have the non-digital version of these for the shop and I love them. It is a bit hard to fine tune a radio station, but the digital version should take care of this.

I travel alot for work and I use the Shure ear-buds that are not noise cancelling but actual noise blockers. For some reason I have issues with the noise cancelling head sets. I think it is something about the frequencies generated to offset the noise gives me a really strange feeling. I find I would rather block out the noise than cancel the noise.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Narozniak View Post
    I have a pair of Ultimate Ears Ear buds and I use them everyday for my commute to and from work on the train.

I would not be without them. It is so nice to not have to hear the "noise" that is in the subway and on the streets of NYC.

www.ultimateears.com
    Those look pretty cool. Which model do you have?