Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise Cancelling Headphones ??

Noise Cancelling Headphones ??

Has anyone tried these for listening to tunes while in the shop? To overcome the dust collector and air cleaner, my ipod has to be way too loud.
    Hearing protection and music all in one or a waste of precious tool $?

I'm on my second pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 2. I mistakenly sold my first pair to my uncle and found NOTHING compares to the quality of sound, extended use comfort, and overall value.

They're PRICEY but for me, 100% worth it!

I aggree, for sound there is much better but I woun't get in to that discussion here that is a headfi.com subject. However you have to remember the boes are optomised to perform well on a airplain which is a similar sound to the dust collector. For price vs performance in a shop envirnment I think it would be hard to beat.
    -=Jason=-

I sometimes worry about the added distraction music might cause which is why I haven't gone this route yet. I read at least one post here where someone injured themselves and felt that the music contributed to the injury.

Rob, I just use a standard pair of in-ear buds (the kind with soft silicone tips) and then put on a regular pair of earmuffs over that. I haven't found that the small wires coming out from under the muffs causes any noticeable decrease in the effectiveness of the muffs. The nice thing about this setup is that when I turn off the noisy machines I can just take off the bulky earmuffs and still listen to my music. Plus it is a lot cheaper than the Bose. I'm sure the Bose sounds better, but this works well for me. The in-ear buds by themselves seem to provide adequate sound isolation when using quieter machines (like the drillpress). I even use the earbuds and muffs setup when I do yard work (mowing, weed eating, blowing leaves, etc.) One word of caution though: Run the wires for the headphones INSIDE your shirt. I run mine down the back of my shirt and put my mp3 player in my back pocket with any extra wire wrapped around it. This keeps the wires from snagging on anything around the shop.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

I won a pair of the Bose QC3 headphones and they are awesome for listing to iPod. I work in my shop and ride the lawnmower and it is amazing how little ambient sound gets in.

If I hadnt won them, I would have likely purchased them if I had tried them - they really are impressive.

Rob, there's some good info here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74430
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Check the spex, though

Something to be mindful of almost all of the electronic noise cancellation headphones, is that there is only about 10dB attenuation at 300 Hertz and below.

A dramatic change on an airplane maybe - but your power tools and vacs and DCs have a large high frequency componant that the headphones will not attenuate appreciably.

Don't be fooled into thinking you are protecting you hearing, because there is less bottom end getting to your eardrums, and it sounds "better".

Real hearing protectors block almost the full sprectrum by 25-30dB,
    a much greater margin of safey.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fraser View Post
    Something to be mindful of almost all of the electronic noise cancellation headphones, is that there is only about 10dB attenuation at 300 Hertz and below.

A dramatic change on an airplane maybe - but your power tools and vacs and DCs have a large high frequency componant that the headphones will not attenuate appreciably.

Don't be fooled into thinking you are protecting you hearing, because there is less bottom end getting to your eardrums, and it sounds "better".

Real hearing protectors block almost the full sprectrum by 25-30dB,
    a much greater margin of safey.

bob
    As someone who not long ago began experiencing constant tinnitus, I agree that hearing protection is not an area for compromise.

If you are worried that the cancelling earphones are inadequate, you might try isolating earplugs. I have used the Emtymotic ER6I-B Isolator Earphones for a few years now. They are not as expensive as Bose, but still cost ~$70-$90. The ER6i model is actually their cheapest isolating earplug, as their most expensive is as much as the Bose headsets. The cheapest price I have found for the ER6i is $72.99 on EBAY. They insert in your ear and almost eliminate outside noise. I have to remove them if I want to listen to what the wife is saying. (Sometimes I leave them in! ) While they might not fit all ears, they come with different sizes of replaceable plugs. I never liked earmuffs anyway because they get hot and wet when I sweat!

I just got a pair of these and they work great. They are a little big, but really cushioned....

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...6&filter=noise

those are good spex

The WorkTune manufacturer page show attenuation over frequency in the specs sheet.

Far more info than the "wear on the airplane" brands, and far better specs.

http://www.aearo.com/pdf/WorkTunes_Digital_SS_1.pdf

Not cute or shiny or foldable, but I will bet they work well.

They do not allow outside audio to reach your ears any higher than 82dB.
    If that is true - that would mean that by Canada's labour laws or the States' (I bet), you could wear them for an eight hour shift and still not have endangered your hearing.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gustafson View Post
    If you are worried that the cancelling earphones are inadequate, you might try isolating earplugs. I have used the Etymotic ER6I-B Isolator Earphones for a few years now.
    I have in-the-ear sound isolating headphones from Shure, who makes them for musicians performing on stage as well. These have memory foam that you squeeze and insert into your ear canal, and they expand to fill the canal, isolating you from sound.

Whether you get the Shures or the Etymotics, though, either one works much better than the noise cancelling headphones.

I'm using these-
    http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/com..._num=M2RX7A001

They are great hearing protection, but they have a volume control to let you hear am/fm radio or conversations, but when the noise starts (even dropping a wrench), they instantly shut down to protect your hearing.

For just listening to tunes, I would also consider a good set of ear buds under a comfortable headset, but you would miss out on being able to hear a conversation or someone calling you, or the phone ringing.

I really want a Bose Quiet Comfort 2 that can pick up my mp3s via Bluetooth (or equivalent).

Even wired in to my mp3 player, I can listen to music at a comfortable level while the tools are suppressed yet still hear the phone. I really don't like the wire, though. I find it distracting.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.