Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denver CO business trip looking like ALL business

Denver CO business trip looking like ALL business

Looks like now that two week power session in Denver is going to be all power and little pleasure. I had a wild hair up my **** and called Corporate on the east coast with what I thought was a brilliant idea. Save your air fair and I will drive to Denver on my dime. First question was how many miles is it. My reply--maybe 850 or so. Their reply--Holy ****, now why would you want to drive??? My reply was a little bit of scenery, do my best thinking while on the road, clear my brain, don't want to be without transportation....etc. (No where did I mention I want to take a business trip and turn it into a vacation on the company). I then received the "verbal" non-written unofficial agenda for my trip. If I seriously plan, coordinate, schedule, brainstorm, and fly under the radar, I MIGHT have enough time free to call home twice to check on things. Of course this will require cutting in and sacrificing some of my 6 hrs a night of quality sleeping time....But I did get the great benefits speech of how nice of a 15 passenger van we will have to chauffeur us to and from the hotel & to and from meals, meet us at the airport, etc. Thanks to all for the recommendations of places to see & go, but looks like if I don't get a window seat and fly over it or get bussed by it, I'm going to miss it.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-20-2008 at 8:46 AM. Reason: Removed illusion to profanity. Prohibited by TOS
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

That really bites, Mark. 'Really is too long without any down time, and honestly, that will make the whole exercise less effective. IMHO, of course. Hopefully, your hotel will have a western view of the mountains at least...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Major bummer.

It it was me, I'd take some vacation time and book a few nights in Manitou Springs. Can you change your return flight to a later date?

Careful. If you spend time in Colorado, don't be surprised if you want to move here.

OK, some more questions. Will be staying at the LaQuinta at 6801 Tower Rd. Anything around there within walking distance to check out??????

Quote Originally Posted by mark page View Post
    Will be staying at the LaQuinta at 6801 Tower Rd. Anything around there within walking distance to check out??????
    You're pretty much just outside the airport and not close to anything. I stay at one of the Marriott properties next door when I have to leave Denver for home on an early flight.
    --

Nuts, sucks to be me I guess. I do have one Sunday free if you can call it that. I received the "formal" agenda today. Even then, the agenda does not allow time to check a rental back in the following Monday morn. Even got the list of "not applicable" charges that I can make on the company credit card, about as long as the dead sea scrolls, lol. I find that funny, cause I can charge most of those to the CC here locally without a hitch. Hope they have a good bar handy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark page View Post
    OK, some more questions. Will be staying at the LaQuinta at 6801 Tower Rd. Anything around there within walking distance to check out??????
    As I recall, that's pretty much an industrial area. Another bummer.

This concept of flying people across the country to spend every waking minute holed up in a windowless conference room is becoming more and more common. And it's downright cruel!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    As I recall, that's pretty much an industrial area.
    It's in the middle of a very, very, VERY large field! No industry in evidence that I remember, although if you turn the opposite way on Tower you'll get to a very nice landfill. These hotels are just off the airport expressway...about 1500' or so south of it. Tower Road is just below the E470 airport interchange.
    --

OK, I looked it up. Sheesh, that's a lot further East than I thought. You're right, Jim. That's out by the airport and there's pretty much nothing out there.

I have to pull up the ole map and take a look-see. The Dist. Ctr. is located on East 49th ave and now I know where the hotel is. I am being as optimistic as I can. Who else can state that they fly to Denver for two weeks and get to tour the industrial sections of the city. "Space, the final frontier, My mission is to boldly go where no man has gone before...." (at least in his right mind).

Its been 12 years since I've been to Denver, but from what I remember, if its near the airport, its near NOTHING! When I was there we stayed by the old airport and I remember it being a very long drive.

Well...there is always the hotel shuttle to the airport for some people gazing and...fast food... ....it's only about a five minute ride.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Well...there is always the hotel shuttle to the airport for some people gazing and...fast food... ....it's only about a five minute ride.
    There's an idea! Since it's in a big, white tent you can pretend it's Cirque du Soleil.

Mark

Jim is right, that hotel is out near the airport with little else arounod it. There is a few restraunts there but nothing and I mean nothing else. I hope you can find some spare time while you are in our area to see some of the sights because they are great. I have lived in this area for 8 years and I don't think you could get me out of here without a fight. Best wished and I hope you like our area.

Mark

I don't konw exactly when you are going to visit this area but if you are here on 9/2/08 I will invite you to attend our turning club meeting. If you are interested send me a PM and I will let you know the particulars.