Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Opinions needed

Drill Press Opinions needed

I am looking at two Delta Drill Presses and would like some community opinions to help me decide. One is the 17-950L which has the larger table that tilts front to back as well as side to side. The quill stroke is 3 7/8 inches. The other is the 17-965 which has a smaller table that only tilts side to side. However, it has a 4 7/8 quill stroke. The 17-965 is a re-conditioned press at about $40 less than the new 17-950L. Which machine would you go for?
    Thanks,
    David

You will really appreciate the longer quill stroke. You are going to want to make an auxiliary table for woodworking anyway - the size of the factory table is not really an issue. Tilting is nice, but this is rarely used feature. And probably mostly for 90° tilt fixtures to drill into board ends. Plus it looks like the 17-965 has a 3/4 HP motor. Of the two, this would definitely be my choice.

Ditto Jeff.... I would prefer the re-conditioned with the longer quill travel.

Sarge..

Why noty get a new Steel City Drill Press. It is very nice and 6" quill stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Why noty get a new Steel City Drill Press. It is very nice and 6" quill stroke.
    Plus it has a split head. "very important" IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rose View Post
    Another vote for the Steel City. I just finished putting mine together less than 24 hours ago. I can tell you that it's a very nice machine.

As the others mentioned, a 6 inch quill travel is far greater than anything else you're going to find in this price range. You'd have to spend $1000 or more for this much. The split head design gives you the flexibility to compensate for any play that develops over time. Without this feature, after time, you simply have an old drill press with slop that you can't do much about. The quill lock is a nice feature as well.

The fit and finish of the drill is of good solid workmanship. The only minor complaints I have with the press are:

The table tilts only left and right, not front to back. This isn't really an issue for me. As long as one axis tilts, I'm good to go. I'll gladly trade this for the extra quill stroke.

While the table is a very generous 14" x 14" square, I found the finish of the table to be a little rough. I'm used to cast iron tables to be ground to a much smoother surface than this. (This is my first drill press, so maybe someone will explain why this be normal for a drill press).

Third is the fact that the depth gauge marker seems to be off by about 1/16" or so to the point that I wouldn't trust the accuracy. Not a huge deal. If I'm ever so inclined, I may try to reposition it correctly. Until then, if I need that level of accuracy with the depth stop, the configuration of the stop allows for using a dial caliper.

I have a dial indicator on a UPS truck as we speak, so I can't comment on runout yet, but I've heard it's minimal, and the drilling I've done so far concurs.

All in all, these are minor issues in comparision to the positive features of the press: 3/4 HP, 6-inch quill travel, quill lock, 16 speeds (215 to 2720 RPM), 5-year warranty.

I have the 17-965 and have been happy with it and the 4 7/8" quill travel. I have a Woodpecker Drill Table mounted on it to give a much larger working surface, fence, and hold-down tracks. The quill lock on the 17-965 is great and allows you to hold the quill down with bit in position and lock/unlock with your tumb with hand still on the quill handles. Much handier than previous Delta models I had.

I very seldom change my table for angle drilling, but rather use shims and holdd-downs if the angle is not too great. That works tilts in any direction and avoids moving the table.

A long quill travel should be high on your list. It reduces the amount of time that you have to raise / lower the table for drill depths and different length of drill bits.

Last, a good drill press is sure handy. I had been away from the shop for 2 weeks, and today it was one of the first things that I had to use to prepare some wood for turning.

Blog Entries
    Greater quill travel is nice. I was after the 6" travel on the SCTW when a great deal on a 17-950 came along. Once you have a table that tilts forward and side to side you'll never go back. I will say that the 17-950 seems to be at the top of one tier for Delta. My dad's 17-955 is a different animal; much heavier and more refined. I would assume the 17-965 falls into this catagory and you can work around no forward tilt.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Howard View Post
    Another vote for the Steel City. I just finished putting mine together less than 24 hours ago. I can tell you that it's a very nice machine.

As the others mentioned, a 6 inch quill travel is far greater than anything else you're going to find in this price range. You'd have to spend $1000 or more for this much. The split head design gives you the flexibility to compensate for any play that develops over time. Without this feature, after time, you simply have an old drill press with slop that you can't do much about. The quill lock is a nice feature as well.

The fit and finish of the drill is of good solid workmanship. The only minor complaints I have with the press are:

The table tilts only left and right, not front to back. This isn't really an issue for me. As long as one axis tilts, I'm good to go. I'll gladly trade this for the extra quill stroke.

While the table is a very generous 14" x 14" square, I found the finish of the table to be a little rough. I'm used to cast iron tables to be ground to a much smoother surface than this. (This is my first drill press, so maybe someone will explain why this be normal for a drill press).

Third is the fact that the depth gauge marker seems to be off by about 1/16" or so to the point that I wouldn't trust the accuracy. Not a huge deal. If I'm ever so inclined, I may try to reposition it correctly. Until then, if I need that level of accuracy with the depth stop, the configuration of the stop allows for using a dial caliper.

I have a dial indicator on a UPS truck as we speak, so I can't comment on runout yet, but I've heard it's minimal, and the drilling I've done so far concurs.

All in all, these are minor issues in comparision to the positive features of the press: 3/4 HP, 6-inch quill travel, quill lock, 16 speeds (215 to 2720 RPM), 5-year warranty.
    I too just got my SteelCity Drill press last weekend and got to use it this weekend for a project. I have been very impressed with it. You may want to consider looking at this Drill while you are at it.

I have the 17 950L and am very pleased with it. keep in mind though that this is the first one i've owned and have no real basis of comparison.
    ....My Anger Management Class Really Ticks Me Off!!!

Dave, can you tell me what a split head is and how it helps? Thanks...joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Dave, can you tell me what a split head is and how it helps? Thanks...joe
    Well, it gives one the ability to take slop out of the quill.

On all the new DP I have checked including a PM2800 I was going to purchase, there was excessive sideways play with the quill fully extended.

Without a slit head there’s not much you can do short of put in some brass setscrews in the casting to tighten up the quill.

To add to what Dave said Joe... if you look at any industrial drill press with longer quill travel you will find a split head. Several companies have offered longer quill travel as that is a selling point. But... without a split head to accomodate for taking out slop from having it down the road you won't be a happy camper when it happens.

So... not a new innovation but the addition shows someone knows how to design a tool with long quill travel for the home shop that will still be working many years down the road when you would otherwise be cursing them for not adding something that has already been proven for years in industry to be the solution to making it work.

Sarge..

Well, it gives one the ability to take slop out of the quill.

On all the new DP I have checked including a PM2800 I was going to purchase, there was excessive sideways play with the quill fully extended.

Without a slit head there’s not much you can do short of put in some brass setscrews in the casting to tighten up the quill.
    Yes, that's how my 1950s Rockwell with a 6" stroke is built. thanks

I have a fairly new Delta, not much quality there anymore, just a name that used to be good. Steve