Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How's everyones tomaters' doing this year???

How's everyones tomaters' doing this year???

I was galvating around talking with a few neighbors today, and all of them are complaining their tomatos aren't doing very good. Just getting "little green" ones on them and not turning. Jeez, I'm having a bumper crop this year from my plants. I didn't get them planted until very late in the year due to an extreme wet spring, but all my plants are appx 8 ft tall, even the cherry tomatos are close to 8 ft tall. I can only see one neighbors plants from my deck, and his look to be only 3 ft tall and I never see him plucking any, haven't talked to him yet, but every time I go check on my plants, they gaze at me like a zoo animal. I may have to offer them some but I don't want to appear like I'm bragging on mine. Us people in this area take our 'maters seriously.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

I planted mine early and thought I wouldn't get anything, but once the weather warmed up, they produced quite well. They're about finished now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I am the same color as my tomatos when I read your post - GREEN!
    Three plants, only one small tomato, about 2 inches in diameter that has turned red.
    Maybe this week they will grow, maybe.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Started getting ripe tomatoes mid May. They've petered out some now, but still get enough for daily tomato sandwiches. Just been letting the cardinals peck at the cherry tomatoes, then they leave the big ones along

The small, orange salad tomatoes are doing very well as are the Romas. But the larger tomatoes have not been too happy with a lot of "unusual" uneven growth and some splitting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs down

Likewise here in Cincinnati...we have picked two red tennis ball size tomatos to date.

The plants are large, with lots of green fruit, but oh so slow to ripen!

Mike

The way it sounds, I must just be lucky. I've planted Mr Stripey's and Big Boys for the large tomatos. They're good sized and some getting to be as big as a medium-large grapefruit. The cherry tomatos we can't keep up with, too many to eat, and have one plant that bears yellow pear shaped cherry tomatos that is doing exceptionally well. I'm getting a medium sized mixing bowl full of cherry ones a day and end up giving most of them away.
    Come to think of it, I haven't pampered my plants this year like I usually do. Miracle growed just twice and plenty of water. Usually I fertilize a lot more, but guess I'm getting lazy.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

We only got in about a 1/3 of our garden, due to the constant mud.

Just now picking a few of them.

Big Beef and Early Girls are doing quite well. Central Virginia is good for 'maters. However, this year's parsley ain't much. Glad I like 'mater sandwiches better than parsley....(:>

My Early Girls and Celebrity are doing really well. Better Boy is a little slow, but in the past week I have picked some nice tomatoes

Several friends are complaining about poor tomato crops except for one, he planted his in pots and kept them on his deck.
    The apple crop in my area is very bad. I have 4 trees and two never had flowers on them this year and the other two have very small sizes with very few in quantity.
    David B

We planted 6 cherry tomato plants from the nursery and our neighbor across the fence planted a whole slough of big boys. We cannot keep up with the cherry tomatoes -- we harvested 225 the other day and there are plenty of greens one yet to ripen. Our neighbor -- nothing. All the plants came from the same nursery, too.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    My Early Girls and Celebrity are doing really well. Better Boy is a little slow, but in the past week I have picked some nice tomatoes
    Ditto on this. Better boy has been disappointing this season for me, but my early girls and (I think) celebrity are doing good. I'd have to look at the tag as this is my first year for tomaters.

My chiles are close to being dead and buried however. We had quite a wet May and really most of the summer, so I think they were wondering where the sun was and decided to give up.

Bell peppers are doing well, and early on the lettuce and endive was excellent. Might be time to yank the chile peppers and try for some late season lettuce. Had good luck with that last year.

i've had a very good tomato year so far but not as good as last year due to May being kind of cool around here.

Terrible year. Rained to mid June.