Thread: Which Type of Finishing System??

Which Type of Finishing System??

I would like to purchase my own spray system, I am leaning towards an airless pump, but what about a turbine? I would like to stay under 400$ and it wouldn't be an everyday tool? Also, what brands are good, and which do I need to stay away from?

I am use to spraying M.L. Campbell Pre-Cat lacquer (MagnaMax) at work, but what about a different type of finish like Conversion Varnish, etc... What do you all get the best results with, while not sacrificing durability??

The airless pump sprayers are geered towards heavy latex paint. You won't get precision control for WW with one. Their is a system called air assisted airless which is fantastic for WW, but they start at around $1500. You want HVLP, likely a Turbine system. At the $400 price point you will get a 2 stage, or 3 stage system. The 3 stage can spray a little thicker material. Turbine systems for up to 4 stage as far as I know.

I don't use a Turbine system so I'm not an expert. If you have a large compressor another alternative is a conversion HVLP gun which is driven by a compressor. I paid $375 for an upper end conversion gun.

I use a Divilbiss FL3 (Finish Line 3) gun and it works great for me. You can purchase it in many tip kit combinations from many suppliers. It's not an airless or turbine gun, but if you have a compressor that will sustain it, it's a good gun.
    Last edited by mark page; 08-16-2008 at 12:29 AM.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Jacob,

I have been using an HVLP turbine system from TP tools since 1986 and have had flawless performance from it. They have systems from $449.
    Check them out here:http://www.tptools.com/dg/60_HVLP-Tu...y-Systems.html
    I truly believe HVLP turbine systems are the way to go on woodworking finishes.
    I also have an airless system which is used for latex and painting houses.

Good luck,

Craig

I've used both. The turbine systems (you need at least a 3 stage turbine) work well and may be easier for a novice to work with using thin wood finishes. One thing to be careful of is no matter how good (powerfull) the turbine is, the gun still makes or breaks the system.

The compressor powered systems work just as well for me and that's what I continue to use.

There's three keys to using a compressor driven system effectively.

1. A good gun.... I can't stress this enough. I use a SATA gun and have used DeVilbiss and Binks guns.. all three make good HVLP guns at the upper end of their lines. A "economy" HVLP gun will give you grief every time.

2. A compressor with enough capacity. While HVLP guns don't use much pressure they consume a copious volume of air (CFM) Many small shop compressors will not supply the 50-60 CFM of air these guns need even at the low 20-30psi required.

3. A good oil/water separator... that should be obvious I'd think.

My compressor is in a cabinet behind the shop so the noise is negligible. I have water/oil separators at each valve just before each quick connect on the wall.

Price is really a wash.... by the time you correctly set up your existing compressor assuming you have one with enough capacity and buy a proper gun you could buy a decent turbine unit.

I hated the noise and it was just another piece of equipment that I had to store and maintain.

Again before you buy check the quality of the supplied gun and tips/nozzles...

What are your thoughts on a pressure pot that is what we use at work, I don't like the bulky guns that come with a turbine system, but my price probably does restrict my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    What are your thoughts on a pressure pot that is what we use at work, I don't like the bulky guns that come with a turbine system, but my price probably does restrict my choices.
    By "pot" you mean the tank? Not at all for an HVLP system. they can deliver the reserve for an air gun but not a constant load of high flow air. The "tank" reservoirs that can keep up will be about as tall as you.

If you are serious just get a turbine. Those turbines they sell for inflating those inflatable bouncy children's play centers are pretty powerful and move a hell of a lot of air.

By "Pressure Pot" I mean a system like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jacob, I have a 2 gt pot version of the Wagner HPLV conversion gun that I use for larger projects and when I need the "accessibility" that a gun without an attached cup provides. The only downside is, of course, a little more finish waste during cleaning. I only spray water borne products (largely Target Coatings USL) or shellac and have been pleased with the Wagner guns, especially for the money. They are forgiving on the compressor end, although the larger the tank, the less it will run. I started with a 20 gallon unit, but my shop has a 60 gallong IR compressor in the closet at this point with a dedicated drop for finishes with it's own regulator and extra filtration over the central water/moisture filter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am concerned that with the turbine system that is fed by the Cup, I won't be able to spray with the gun upside down like I can with the pressure pot or an airless pump, is this true.

Most of you seem to think that the turbine system is better for woodworking than an airless pump, but I know both a painter and another cabinet shop that use a standard pump and I have ro say they get a flawless finish out of it

I know Most of you are wondering why I even asked if I already made up my mind, but I just don't like the idea of refilling a cup all the time, for example today I spraued almost 3 gallons of lacquer, that'd be at least 12 refills!

Jacob, it sounds quite true that a turbine system might not be the best for your needs or desires. You can get what you desire using a remote pot version of an HPLV conversion gun; either with a smaller 2 qt setup like the one I mentioned or a larger pressure pot if you think you'll be doing enough volume to make that worth the work of cleaning, etc. You have options.

Personally, a turbine system brought no interest for me, either, especially since I have a great compressor already in the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

12. You can actually use a pressure pot setup with the turbine guns, allowing you to spray upside down.

I set out to buy a big compressor and good hvlp gun, but gave the turbines a try and have never looked back - portable, small, awesome finish, wide/fast spray, no oil/water separator, no pipes and regulators...

I have since become a Fuji dealer - so, I guess I've become a total convert to turbines...for me they just make perfect sense.

Jacob, I use a Binks system with a pot. The reason for the pot is that I can put a gallon can directly in the pot and remove it and cap it after I am done. I wholeheartedly agree with Steve, THE GUN THE GUN THE GUN and enough air volume to run it.
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.