Thread: Latest segmented vase

Latest segmented vase

I think I'll call this one the learning vase because I did a lot of that while making it. I got the idea for the chain link design from Alex Wallace's site, www.awallacestudio.com/. The first thing I learned was it's not easy getting all those pieces to fit perfectly together but it was a good lesson in planning. If I ever do this design again I will build a better jig for gluing up the chain segments, there are a lot of joints that could be tighter. I am happy with the shape so at least I'm getting better in that department, or so I hope. Vase is 11.5" x 6", woods used were purpleheart, cherry, and I think maple but not sure, it was wood salvaged from a shipping crate. I did take pics of how I made the chain link segments if anyone is interested. Still need to work on my photography
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Mike - interesting form on your vase! Reminds me of ancient greece! I like your design and can only imagine the effort that must have gone into creating the chain portion! I've never done segmented - don't have the patience for all those little cuts and glue-ups!

Photos need a little adjust as far as color but the focus seems to be pretty good. Play around with your lighting and you should be fine!

Nice work - looking forward to your next turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mike that is a beauty with a interesting shape. I like the form. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like it. Segmenting is very popular and for good reason. Thanks for the post!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

amazing peice
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Mike,

A very nice looking piece. Lots of tricky joints and difficult to get perfect matchup. I have several (a bunch) mismatched and bad glue joints hidden in a box marked "firewood".

Only things wrong with your pictures are that the white balance is off, and you could use a seamless background instead of two pieces. Lots of info on this forum on adjusting the white balance.

Kudos on recycling the shipping crate wood. Sometimes can find some very nice wood.
    Richard in Wimberley

Talking

Thanks for your kind words and comments. I think my biggest problem with the pictures is with the type of lighting I use. I used a Canon Rebel with auto white balance and these were the result. I have found using photoshop the adjust the images gets rid of the redish hue but also washes out the color. I may try playing with different bulbs this weekend if my lathe dosen't get jealous and beg me to come play
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Mike,
    Does your camera have a way for you to tell it what white is supposed to look like? With some cameras (after pushing all the right buttons, etc.) you take a full frame picture of a white card (or whatever), and the camera responds with "Ok, that is white looks like in this absurd lighting". And it's all good after that.

Ordinary compact fluorescent bulbs have a 2700K color temp. Dunno about typical 4 ft. tubes. Neal has some 5200K (approx. daylight) compact fluorescents. One of our local galleries has daylight (approx. 5200K) 4 ft. fluorescent tubes in their ceiling lights, but was told they were a bit pricey.
    Richard in Wimberley