Thread: search members by location??

search members by location??

Is there someway to do this?

I'd be nice to meet with fellow members who live close by.... the search function currently doesn't allow this.

Could we simply start a thread/forum called "Where We Live" for the members who don't mind sharing their location? Then people could just search THAT.

I'd love to be able to PM other Las Vegas woodworkers. Based on what I've seen, I think I'm the only person in a 3-mile radius who has a cabinet saw. Woodworking doesn't seem to be very popular here, unfortunately.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

and make it a "sticky"?

That way it's easy to find, no one is required to tell where they're from unless they deisre.

In a very roundabout way, there is a method of locating members by location who have chosen to publish their location. Anyone who has entered a location in their UserCP profile has that location showing up as plain old text (unlike their member name) in their posts. For example, you can do the SMC Googlesearch for "Las Vegas" and you'll end up with every single post that Eric (and anyone else that has entered LV in their location) has ever made. The downside is that you get a horrendous large list of duplicates when all you really wanted was one from each member. Plus you're going to get every post that even mentions LV. Not a very elegant solution, but....
    Use the fence Luke

Googling "Location: Las Vegas" works better. I was quickly able to find the *four* active LV members here. I sure thought there'd be more than four. PMs sent to the other three guys.

Maybe we can go have a beer somewhere after work, at least.

Thanks for the tip, Doug!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    In a very roundabout way, there is a method of locating members by location who have chosen to publish their location. Anyone who has entered a location in their UserCP profile has that location showing up as plain old text (unlike their member name) in their posts. For example, you can do the SMC Googlesearch for "Las Vegas" and you'll end up with every single post that Eric (and anyone else that has entered LV in their location) has ever made. The downside is that you get a horrendous large list of duplicates when all you really wanted was one from each member. Plus you're going to get every post that even mentions LV. Not a very elegant solution, but....
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; 08-23-2008 at 1:41 PM. Reason: Quantity changed because I forgot to search Henderson, NV
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.