Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand sculpting to 3D scanner to CNC ?

Blog Entries

Chair

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    guy i looked at the chair with interest, were you stopping and changing bits with the shopbot or were you using the drill, the scan looks great!!

jim
    Jim, I assume you are referring to the back splat for the flower chair. I only have one head on my Shopbot, a 5 HP Colombo. Alas, I had to change bits 3 times and re-zero the Z each time.

I am going to carve the back splat again using the ATC on our new CAMaster. (Insert loud manly grunting noises here, followed by excessive gloating and drooling)

My guess is that the CAMaster is going to cut about 5 hours off of my machine time.

With your machine you could mill the same piece as well. Most jobs only take 3 bits on average when carving anyway so your machine is a great choice for anyone that wants the ability to run multiple bits without have to shut the machine down to change bits and re-Z. The CAMaster also has this great little feature that when the power goes out, you can just g28 the machine and start over from the last line of code give or take a few lines without having to reset everything. I love that feature more than my ATC.

Kudos again to Bill Glenn!

my 480v is on the line to the hospital directly from the sceg power plant. it is rare we have a power outage!! i saw how you took a fourth axis file and machine it in 3 axis. my presumption is it created the concave/convex need to be a seat back. did it carve on the oppisite as well?

jim

Blog Entries

Chair Splat

my 480v is on the line to the hospital directly from the sceg power plant. it is rare we have a power outage!! i saw how you took a fourth axis file and machine it in 3 axis. my presumption is it created the concave/convex need to be a seat back. did it carve on the oppisite as well?

jim
    Both sides of the splat were carved, and yes it was curved (concave/convex depending on the perspective). I created the initial 3D file as a flat object, created a UVN mesh file and flowed it along the inside surface of the chair back to create the customer's desired arc. From there, Visual Mill front and back and voila! Chair backs!

The customer was kind enough to send me photos of the finished chair. I did not do the finish. We made one chair to match 5 others.

It is hard to see in these photos, but the curvature matched the rails.

Join CAMheads, we need web traffic!!!!!! Plus CAMaster makes the best machines! IMHO!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Guy Mathews; 02-12-2009 at 9:47 AM. Reason: Puncuation.

guy, david and i are sitting here and david is amazed, we are glad you are as good as you are!!!

jim

Blog Entries

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Hines View Post
    Well just sign up The pics of Guys work are well worth it ! And it's free too!

Angus, thanks for the compliment on my work.

Blog Entries

One other thing about the chair.

guy i looked at the chair with interest, were you stopping and changing bits with the shopbot or were you using the drill, the scan looks great!!

jim
    Jim,

One other thing about the flower chair. I did not scan the back splat with a laser.
    I drew the back splat and sculpted it in using CAD software and in virtual carving software. I did not have the chair as a reference. Just photos and measurements from the desiger.

Guy

Blog Entries

New video

The more I thought about, the more I felt my latest video link actually belongs here as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtd-xFukZQ4

Enjoy. I f you like it or want to criitque, please post comments or rate the Video at Youtube.

Thanks.

Hand sculpting to 3D scanner to CNC ?

this question has been answered for me! there will be a lot more on this later but this scan and file was done by guy at new wave woodworking for a project i am working on. the file work is superb as i have the original piece which was only a few inches tall and the file is 70 inches tall

jim

here is where this is going, we are making a life size chess set, this is a test model using guy matthews scanner and file work, machined in aspire

jim

Blog Entries

A Knights tale!

Jim,

Just wanted to tease you a bit with your next piece. I am taking extra time with the Knight because I know that you are a horse owner. The knight, the king and the queen should be available for download by Monday.

Guy

Blog Entries

More on Laser scanning.

This is job that came my way this morning from a customer in Jersey. The photo inset shows the object as the customer sent it to me. The object was scanned and an RBF surface was applied. At this point, the scan can be trimmed and incorporated into another turning or some other application.

For this customer's purpose, I will use virtual carving tools in the computer to change the details of the 3D design to make it similar, but different. The changes will be enough so as not to infringe on another artist work by making knockoffs, (yes, I can counterfeit furniture if I wanted to!) ...but subtle enough so that the customer gets something similar to the the object they sent us.

For any of you that might need a cabriole leg scanned or something to that nature, our basic scanning services are relatively inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mathews View Post
    This is job that came my way this morning from a customer in Jersey. The photo inset shows the object as the customer sent it to me. The object was scanned and an RBF surface was applied. At this point, the scan can be trimmed and incorporated into another turning or some other application.

For this customer's purpose, I will use virtual carving tools in the computer to change the details of the 3D design to make it similar, but different. The changes will be enough so as not to infringe on another artist work by making knockoffs, (yes, I can counterfeit furniture if I wanted to!) ...but subtle enough so that the customer gets something similar to the the object they sent us.

For any of you that might need a cabriole leg scanned or something to that nature, our basic scanning services are relatively inexpensive.
    You do realize that if you start with someone else's copywright, no mater how much you change it you still have infringed on the copywright.
    Last edited by James Jaragosky; 04-17-2009 at 7:13 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Blog Entries

Copyright, design and utility patents

Yes, I am well aware of copyright, and design patents. Our company works with over 50 designers that use other design elements from one another all the time. I have produced on CNC some of the most beautiful carved chairs that you have ever seen for a production run of ten, only to have the file sit dormant on a CD for 3 years because the design belongs to one of my customers. Meanwhile, some ahole in China can get a hold of one the chairs and mass produce them for pennies on the dollar because our lovely government is more interested in diplomatic relations with emerging third world nations then it is the livelyhood of the American Woodworker and American worker in general. As long as Wall Street is taken care of, everything will be fine in their eyes.

In additon, I have drawn and programmed over 50 variations of a 4 inch high tapered window leg for sofas, chairs and ottomans because Designer A says that it has to be 2.0625 inches at the top and 1.375 inches at the bottom or the design will not flow properly. Meanwhile, Designer B has been using the same exact leg with one slight difference, 2.125 at the top and 1.25 at the bottom. Laugh if you want to, but I see this kinda cr*p everyday!

BTW, aren't you the guy that was making a Harley coaster or something like that for your man cave? If I remember correctly, it was the Number 1 with Harley Davidson at the bottom. It looked an awful a lot like the dark horse logo. Talk about copyright infringement! Yikes! The Harley Law Team will descend from the hills on magic carpets if they even think that the Harley name is being used by someone for anything else but their precious motorcycle company!

And lets not forget "The Last Supper" that everyone with Aspire and a CNC machine seems to be carving lately. Is the Davinci Foundation collecting any residuals on that one?

One last thing, your statement suggest that if you copyright a square, and I scan it, then modify the scanned file to be a circle that I have infringed on your copyright...

Are you a lawyer or a woodworker?

For more info on copyrights and patents you can go to
    www.uspto.gov

This site is among one of my favorites.
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Chinese are doing it on a massive scale

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mathews View Post
    Yes, I am well aware of copyright, and design patents. Our company works with over 50 designers that use other design elements from one another all the time. I have produced on CNC some of the most beautiful carved chairs that you have ever seen for a production run of ten, only to have the file sit dormant on a CD for 3 years because the design belongs to one of my customers. Meanwhile, some ahole in China can get a hold of one the chairs and mass produce them for pennies on the dollar because our lovely government is more interested in diplomatic relations with emerging third world nations then it is the livelyhood of the American Woodworker and American worker in general. As long as Wall Street is taken care of, everything will be fine in their eyes.

In additon, I have drawn and programmed over 50 variations of a 4 inch high tapered window leg for sofas, chairs and ottomans because Designer A says that it has to be 2.0625 inches at the top and 1.375 inches at the bottom or the design will not flow properly. Meanwhile, Designer B has been using the same exact leg with one slight difference, 2.125 at the top and 1.25 at the bottom. Laugh if you want to, but I see this kinda cr*p everyday!

BTW, aren't you the guy that was making a Harley coaster or something like that for your man cave? If I remember correctly, it was the Number 1 with Harley Davidson at the bottom. It looked an awful a lot like the dark horse logo. Talk about copyright infringement! Yikes! The Harley Law Team will descend from the hills on magic carpets if they even think that the Harley name is being used by someone for anything else but their precious motorcycle company!

And lets not forget "The Last Supper" that everyone with Aspire and a CNC machine seems to be carving lately. Is the Davinci Foundation collecting any residuals on that one?

One last thing, your statement suggest that if you copyright a square, and I scan it, then modify the scanned file to be a circle that I have infringed on your copyright...

Are you a lawyer or a woodworker?

For more info on copyrights and patents you can go to
    www.uspto.gov

This site is among one of my favorites.

You are correct; I made a HD costar. Although I only made one, and did not sell it, I still am in violation of the copyright. (I have recycled this particular project weeks ago).
    As far as the last supper please see the following link.
    This image is in the public domain because its copyright has expired.
    This applies to the United States, Canada, the European Union and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 70 years.
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Leonardo_da_Vinci_(1452-1519)_-_The_Last_Supper_(1495-1498).jpg

AS far as the square or circle is concerned please see the public domain link.
    Anyway no matter what I have done in the past or may do in future it will not change the validity of my previous post.And as you so aptly point out I am not a lawyer so this is just my opinion.

Copy and alter away; as you have pointed out the Chinese are doing it on a massive scale, so why shouldn’t we be able to do it as well.

I do try not to use any copyrighted material in any of my work; but I too am not perfect.

My statement was meant as information only; and was not meant as an accusation or condemnation.
    Please except my apology if I have offended you in any way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Blog Entries

My apologies as well...

James, my apologies as well. You need not worry about offending me. You can not offend the offensive, in most cases you will just provoke a response!

Anywho, I know of public domain as well. I search constantly PD works and music. The Da vinci BS was just posted as a far right example of how screwed up a lawyer could make things if given an opportunity. Since we are woodworkers, we need to worry about the lawyers.

Seriously, we can get sued if someone came into our shop, jumped up on one of our CNC machines and proceeded to peck-drill their eyes out because we don't have sign up that specifically states "Warning, a CNC machine can peck-drill your eyes out if you are an idiot and use it for that purpose." Man, I love America!

Anyway, same here on the apology spectrum James. Did not mean to offend, just making a point.

Watch out for the copyright police, lord knows there is someone out there who just can't wait for one of us to make a mistake so they can launch their lawsuit to stardom!

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.