Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this tablesaw??

What do you think about this tablesaw??

Blog Entries
    That's $300 or so off of 'new' and there's no shipping. Not a bad deal. A lot of folks love their 1023's. I've never used one but have a Griz jointer and BS through a coincidence; both are very nice.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    There’s a lot of happy 1023Z owners out there. That said, I put the Shopfox adjustable fence on my old Craftsman as an upgrade. It was better than the atrocious Craftsman OEM fence, but not by a lot.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I may be wrong, but by the badging it looks to be an older saw. Grizzly's come a long way in terms of quality the last few years, so I wouldn't pay as much for an older one as I would for one that was 3 or 4 years old.

Call the owner and ask for the Serial number off the saw, Jacob. Then call Grizzly technical and have them idenify the year of the saw as what "John" mentioned about the early saws could be avoided. And I agree if it is the early.. $700 might be a tad too much in this case.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Looks like a decent deal... I'd probably offer $600. That's the Shop Fox original fence, not the Classic Biese clone.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I agree, you do get a mobile base with it, but will likely be disappointed in the fence, lowball him by $1-200.
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Grizzly had some mediocre products in years past

Quote Originally Posted by John Hedges View Post
    I may be wrong, but by the badging it looks to be an older saw. Grizzly's come a long way in terms of quality the last few years, so I wouldn't pay as much for an older one as I would for one that was 3 or 4 years old.
    I'm not sure the 1023 was one of them. I have a 1996-97 G1023 that came with a horrible JetLock knockoff fence. I had a good fence waiting when I bought the saw. The saw itself is fine. The fence on the advertised saw seems to draw mixed reviews, known to be fussy to set up.

HTH

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I'm not sure the 1023 was one of them. I have a 1996-97 G1023 that came with a horrible JetLock knockoff fence. I had a good fence waiting when I bought the saw. The saw itself is fine. The fence on the advertised saw seems to draw mixed reviews, known to be fussy to set up.

HTH

Curt
    I think Curt might be right. I can't speak with any real insights about Grizzly's quality progression, but from what I've witnessed, I'd guess quality improvements come more in terms of newer better models than quality improvements to existing older models (or perhaps some gains come from both directions). If that philosophy is correct, then the 1023 would have had few changes since being introduced, other than different bolt-ons. Maybe Papa Griz coul dshed some light...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

What is a fair deal?

Jacob,

As a comparison, two months ago, I bought a ShopFox version of this saw, three years old with the 50" fence and side table. It came with the mobile base. The seller also gave me the short rails for the fence, and a motore that was in perfect condition. I paid $800.00 I felt I received a fair deal, especially if I can get that motor sold for more than $150.

I agree with the consensus, at that age, I would suggest offering $550. to $600 and see where things go. Unless firm, most sellers will agree to split the difference.

So is the Shop Fox and the Grizzle the same??

for example what about this saw?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Shop-Fox-W1711-E...3286.m20.l1116

12. They are made by the same manufacturer, in the same factory. The only differences are name, paint color, part number, and the means of distribution.

Some people think Shop Fox is better, but that has never been proven, and I don't believe it. I would have been just as happy with Griz as the SF.

Is it a right tilt or a left tilt?

I ask becasue the "bump" on my Shop fox is on the other side?

I have no experience with that saw so I can't speak to it's quality. My accountant suggests paying 40%-60% the replacement cost for used equipment depending on condition, which compensates the buyer for wear and the lack of warranty. Grizzly is known to have very good customer service, so that warranty means something should problems arise.

Given the shipped replacement cost of a new 1023 is just under $1100, fair price would be between $440 and $660 depending on condition and age. Also consider your transportation time and fuel as real costs in the equation. The $700 asking price is just north of realistic iIMO for a machine in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    So is the Shop Fox and the Grizzle the same??

for example what about this saw?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Shop-Fox-W1711-E...3286.m20.l1116
    Both companies are owned by the same man....Shiraz Balolia (aka Papa Grizzly). They appear nearly identical. I've used two 1023's, and now own a new SF 1677...haven't noticed much difference between them yet.