Thread: Grizzly Tent Sale

Grizzly Tent Sale

Two things have just happened pretty much at the same time...

1. My tool fund just topped out at enough for a Grizzly 19 inch bandsaw

2. The Grizzly tent sale flyer just came in the mail for Sept. 13.

Has anyone been to one of the tent sales, and if so, is it worth waiting for? I'd be looking for one of a couple things to happen, either getting the the 19 inch saw at a sale price (10% off or more?), or getting a markdown on a 21 inch saw that's scratched, dented, floor model etc. so it would be competitive with the 19 inch price. Would it be worth the wait?

Hi Dave, I went to the tent sale in Springfield this year and I had a good time. I was hoping to find the 513x2 on sale and it wasn't. The machines that were on sale were not discounted very much, more like 5%. Very few machines were on sale. So I bought my saw at regular price.

The tent sale can be good. I saw several bandsaws but the common saws went fast. There were some deals on larger saws that had things broken or missing that were not vital to the saw like blade welders or something. Remember that tent sale machines are sold AS IS, no warranty and except for discontinued showroom demo models, they are broken.

The more off the beaten path/ more broken, the better prices. I picked up a G9953 16" jointer for $100 (they had another one in worse shape they offered me for free to go along with the one I bought, I had to decline). I have put about $500 more into it and I have me a $4000 list price jointer. I am pleased. I will go back next spring.

Consider the Tent Sale a great social experience. You may or may not get a bargain, but you'll have a nice time and be able to fondle everything up close and personal. Even if you have to pay normal price for what you really want, it can be a great experience based on many folks' comments over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I went to a tent sale in Springfield Mo. last year. It was hotter than..//ll,, . I got a 24 inch planer for $1500.00 that only had a few scratches on it. Works fine... I couldn t be happier. Get there early but stay to the end to get the best deal. Jim

Everyone has to go at least one time just for the experience. It all starts the NIGHT BEFORE. During set up the staff is putting stuff over the fence and giving it away. The experienced "tenters" are using binocklers to scout out the locations of the items they intend to buy. The line begins to form at 4:00 AM. At 8:00 AM it is 500 strong. By 8:15 AM all 500 are inside. By 8:25 AM all of the best items have been "purchased". There is a tear off invoice on each piece of equipment. 10:00 AM the pick up trucks and u-haul trailers start loading up. Not all "purchased" items have been PAID FOR and many are left behind. Hang around. At noon the prices start to drop. Missing parts are generally noted and may be purchased at the parts counter. Everything must go and will.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    See my other projects at www.peterspirito.com