Thread: My first and most sentmental project.

My first and most sentmental project.

As I was cleaning and reoganizing my shop the other day I came across My first tools that I bought 13 yrs ago. A B&D 7 1/4" circular saw and a B&D router. I bought these two tools becase I wanted to build my girlfreind, now wife, a vanity. At that time she was using a rickety brass and glass table that was leaning to the left. So I got out and looked a several pieces of furniture and studied how they were put together. I thought " I think I can do that". So every pay check for the next 3 months I would buy a few pieces of wood and work them. My girl freind would ask "Are you coming over tonight?" I would say no I am going to work on my "project". She new It was something for her but she had no idea what. Finally I finished it and put it in her bed room when she was not at home and went home and waited for her to call. Needless to say she was very happy and that night she made me very happy

This is made out of redoak purchased from the orange borg. I used 3/4"ply and 3/4" solid stock. As stated above to only tools used on this were a circular saw, router, speed squaer, tape measure and chalc line.

GEDC0081.jpg

The top has split because I did now know that there was more to joining wood to gether that just glue. She won't let me fix the top. "it adds character and makes it special"

GEDC0082.jpg

GEDC0083.jpg

As you can see it is still used and abused on a daily basis. That is where my wood working hobby began.

I don't know if this is going to interest any of you or not but I just felt like sharing to day.
    It ain't broke untill I try to fix it!

Great story and an ambitious first project! Funny how things evolve. I remember building my daughter a kitchen play set with a hutch. Right now I'm working on a TV stand for her to take to college....

For the limited tools you had available to you. That's fantastic. Well done!

Isn't it funny that once the project is given over, they won't let you come after the fact, and fix it or redo something. My wife is the same way.

A small corner shelf that I made in a 6th grade wood shop class still stands in my mom's kitchen.

I won every 2x4 cutting with hand saws contest, either by counting strokes or timed. Funny, the stuff you remember.....
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Glen...great story...great project and it sounds like it got the desired results.

Thanks for sharing.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Glen,
    Thanks for sharing.
    Nice project, especially given the tools you had to work with at the time. IMO, the story to go with the project only adds character.
    Dave

Keep em coming Glen. I think it looks nice regardless if the tools you have. That much red oak all from the borg must have been a fortune!
    I guess it paid off though... you got a wife out of the deal
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"