Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiples of tools - who does who doesn't?

Multiples of tools - who does who doesn't?

Hello,
    A recent thread got me wondering about this.

Who else has multiples of essentially the same tool?

I have:
    4- routers
    3 - Rotary tools - 2 Dremels and a RotoZip.
    4 - CMS - one of which is a SCMS.
    2- Table Saws
    Lord only knows - corded & cordless drills/drivers (maybe 8?)
    3 -18 ga brad nailers.
    2 - compressors.
    A bunch of - 10", "generic" saw blades (2x and 40 tooth - Irwin, B&D, etc. - ones I pick up because I tell myself "the price is right".)
    3 - Circular saws
    3 - Reciprocating saws
    2 - Router tables

Each one does at least something or has some feature different, but nothing that really couldn't be overcome by using one of the others.
    (the only exception is the pair of DeWalt 18V drills - both are the same, but the price of the second one was less than the price of a battery and charger).

Odd or not?
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 08-03-2008 at 8:22 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I would think fairly common to anyone who either works at multiple locations, does lots of work, or has been at stuff quite a while.

5 routers
    1 Dremel and 1 Rotozip
    1 CMS, and currently two Radial arm saws
    1 Table saw, and a couple of EZ systems
    No framing or roofing nailer, but 1 of just about every other kind
    3 compressors (1 pancake, 1, 20 gallon and 1, 60 gallon)
    Multiple circular saws (several set up for EZ)
    3 reciprocating saws
    ETC.

Some stuff has been inherited/given to me by friends with deceased relatives. Some stuff bought and used at multiple locations (brothers farm, work, brother in laws, or the parents house). The real downside for me right now is so much of it right now feels like clutter. Not too much time, and I need to clean and reorganize the shop, then get rid of some duplicates and put that money back in the material (hopefully NOT the tool) fund!

I didn't even want to face drills

Rich your list is amazingly close to my own.... I sometimes feel "guilty" that I really have too many redundant tools.

I had at one time 6 routers, 3 router tables, 3 table saws (one was portable) 6 rotary tools 7 or 8 drills, maybe 8 sanders, 5 grinders.....

I thought I was doing a "good thing" and donated several hundred pounds of perfectly good power tools to the local trade school who was always complaining about not having enough money to supply all the students with "common" power tools for class.... guess what? Almost everything I donated to them ended up on craigslist...

Seems the issue was with the instructor, not the funding.... turned out he had the students making projects that he was then selling on his own and the school was buying all the premium materials that went into those projects.

No good deed goes unpunished! LOL

Back on topic, I'd be surprised if many on this board are not in the same situation... "how did I end up with all this stuff?" LOL

I have worked hard to keep my tool duplication at a minimum, but I must confees that I do have 2 bandsaws and 2 routers

The only duplicates I have is a stash of a half-dozen decimal-inch tape measures. I worry that some day Lee Valley will stop selling them. If I had to go back to using fractional inches, my brain would fry.

Don't you all know that he who dies with the most routers wins????
    10 routers and growing
    3 impact drivers
    5 drills
    3 circle saws
    2 Sawzalls
    2 router lifts
    2 jig saws
    3 Arrow staplers
    5 various rotary tools

I am sure there is more duplication buried in there somewhere!
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 08-03-2008 at 10:47 AM.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Still putting shop together

I'm still putting my shop together, so not too many duplicates yet. When building furniture in a one man shop, having duplicate tools is important so as to keep the settings. A spare table saw to keep the dado blade in, several routers to keep the same edge and several drills.

Tony B

LOL...I think some of you guys need help...
    My name is XXXX and I'm a Toolaholic...

I bought a box of screwdrivers at an auction for 3 dollars. Because I wanted the stanley 750 chisel in the box (with other old chisels, not as well-regarded). So, I have about 40 screwdrives of all sizes.

I used to be really bad, but in preparation for the upcoming move, I ebayed a bunch of extra stuff, actually made over 1k from all of the extra junk....errr stuff....ummm tools I sold. So now Im looking for my next purchase I still do have...

3 routers (1 combo base kit, 1 in RT, 1 laminate trimmer)
    2 miter saws (12 inch and 7 1/4 for easy jobsite stuff)
    3 Drill/Drivers
    3 shop vacs (1 corded, 2 cordless)
    2 Rotary tools
    Last edited by Chuck Tringo; 08-03-2008 at 2:25 PM.
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

There are certain tools where multiple can be very convenient...routers, drill/drivers, nailers, etc., depending on how you work. I see no harm in this and in fact, take advantage of it often.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Couldn't do it. Nothing wrong/illegal/immoral about it - who am I to dictate what tools someone can buy? - but each tool I own represents money that wasn't spent on my wife and children.

Duplicating tools is a luxury I can't afford. If I do have spare money for woodworking I'd rather spend it on a project - ie, better wood, better hardware, etc.

Since I'm just a hobbyist, taking a bit of time to re-configure a tool means very little to me.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I try really hard to keep the shop inventory lean, just to have room to turn around in. I sell anything that I haven't used in a year.

Having said that, I use some tools enough to justify duplicates or specialized versions, e.g.

5 routers (one dedicated to a table, one to a jig, a lam trimmer, and a mid sized and large handheld)

6 sanders (drum sander, belt/disc combo, linear sander, finish sander, detail sander, aggressive sander)

3 drills (two cordless, one high speed corded), not counting the drill press

handsaws without number, countless handplanes, legions of scrapers, and on and on....

My experience is just the opposite from the hobbyist above. I'm trying to squeeze in time for woodworking and if two tools will save time, then its a bargain. Life is short, buying time is a good thing!

Only downside is that each tool requires maintenance.

I have lots of multiples

Some tools you just have to have multiples of, IMO. Drill/drivers is the first that comes to mind. I have two drivers and a corded drill. I also have two routers -- one was a gift and then the other is an upgrade because the original didn't have a 1/2" collet. There is no such thing as too many clamps and no such thing as too many tape measures.

Other than those, if I have a duplicate it is in name alone (I have five planes, but they are all different types). I don't have the space to duplicate anything big.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.