Thread: Shop plans...

Shop plans...

I am in the beginning stages of drawing out plans for the shop and the house we'll be building soon and I was hoping to see the plans some of you drew up for your shops before you built them. I am thinking about somewhere between 1000-1200 s.f. I am pretty sure that the structure itself will be a log sided or log structure with a metal roof...other than that I have no firm plans.

I want to try and minimize the 'wish I'd thought of that' after the fact...course I know there will be some of that, but I want to keep it a small percentage.

Kelly, being in the Navy I move about every 2-3 years. Each time my shop evolves to meet the space I have. When I started to have a "dedicated" shop about 15 years ago it was part of our one-car garage. I currently have a two-car shop but have had one that was 2 1/2 cars wide. One thing I've found is that going from smaller to larger I quickly filled the extra space. I think this is the reason a lot will respond by saying to build it as big as you can. On the other hand, when I down-sized I put everything on mobile stands and learned how to play Tetris and tuck everything into the space I had. I think the biggest factor is what are you going to build? If you're a turner, or a scroll saw box maker, or a furniture guy - these will all effect what size/shape shop you should have.

Some observations from my many shops:

Lighting - lots of lighting. I always add tons of 4-foot fluorescent fixtures (currently have 12 in my two-car shop). I hook half up to the original lighting circuit coming from the main panel and the other half from a lighting circuit in the sub panel.

Windows - though they take up wall space, I loved the shop that I had that had windows on the garage doors and two walls. Lots of natural light. I'd love to have sky lights (get the natural light without taking up wall space).

Outlets - this is by far the first thing I do. Bring more juice (by way of a sub panel) then add lots of outlets everywhere. I run surface mounted conduit and wire the 120v outlets so every other one is on a different circuit (two circuits total). I run the 240v circuits in their own individual conduits for dedicated machines. If I have 120v loads that I know will run together, I make sure they are on separate circuits (drill press and air cleaner).

Insulation / Heating / Cooling - this is an absolute because I'm out there all year round and I hate sweating / shivering.

Support Beams - make sure the space is 100% free of vertical obstructions. I'm on my second shop that has a support beam/column right in the middle. It is a royal PITA to negotiate around it.

Off the top of my head, that's about it for now...if something else pops up, I'll let you know.

Best of luck with it, let us know how it turns out.

Be well,

Doc

I like all the ideas posted above.

(1) I have added 4 x 4' double fixtures to my 2 car garage. I had the house built with 5 and it was no where near adequate.
    Use Daylight tubes. They cost a little more but make a huge difference.
    Add windows up high, and skylights.

(2) I would have a seperate room for the DC and Air compressor. This would be huge for me. Have the DC vent outside. Insulate walls to cut the noise.

Electrical.

(3) I would wire all, or most of the 220V recepticals with 10 ga. wire. Get a good price on a roll. That way you can upgrade to 30 amp breakers and plugs. Plugs and breakers are easy to change. Wire..

(4) Also put in way more 220V recepticals than you will ever need. It costs a bit more but its finally done.

(5) Air conditioning or heat pump. Big plus.

(6) Dont be afraid of sheathing the walls with 1/2" plywood instead of Drywall. Plywood holds fastners. Paint it for looks if you wish. Plywood prices are really really low right now due to the US economy being tanked.

(7) Lumber racks. I would love an area dedicated to drying wood. Even a little room set up with a dehumid, fans and heat. Your own kiln !!! With a moisture meter which is wired outside the room...

Okay, the kiln is a bit of a dream.. But a good one.

I would agree with everything said so far.

Think about how you are going to run dust collection from the outset. Ducting quickly get in the way.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Some really good ideas so far. I didn't plan my shop. Just built a metal building for multi-use prior to beginning construction of our home. I knew I was going to be doing a lot of the finish work and had to have my tools present. Didn't really have the time or focus to do the planning that should have been done. Seems the house took priority - after all, that was where the lion's share of the money was going!!

After getting the house finished, then I started making a shop out of the metal building. Lots of "wish I had thoughta that" going on!!

In the best of circumstances, one should actually do what you are doing - plan well in advance and plan the shop first.

In TX, skylights would mean HEAT for the better part of the year. Not having lived there, I shouldn't attempt to address that, but something to consider for your location.

If your lot/land permits, spend some time on it and get a feel for the sun travel, wind direction, prevailing weather direction, etc. It can really play into door and window placement and comfort during certain periods of the year. Do the same for your home.

I have a couple of windows opposite my main entry door for cross ventilation. Originally, I had sliders which leaked like a sieve. Replaced those with vinyl awning style windows that I constructed from PVC. They permit me to have my windows open during a rain as long as the wind is right. If you do windows you may want to consider awning style.

Dust collection was an afterthought for me. It should be the very basis of your shop. As Chris said, plan that first.

If you plan to be in this location a while, put in LOTS of light. It is amazing how much one's ability to see in low light diminishes over time. My shop seems perfectly well lit to me - when my 36 year old son walks in he is blinded! What a difference 24 years makes!

I put in baseboard heat and no A/C. In hindsight, I would have installed a heat pump. As stated previously, I didn't even consider a DC system originally, so did not want any heat system that would be effected with dust.

Now that my shop is relatively dust free, the heat pump makes all the sense in the world.

Don and Rick both have some great ideas and I second their electrical suggestions and would install a bunch of 220 plugs. In a well planned shop, I would have some flush mount outlets in the floor where my major tools would be. My TS is centrally located and the 20' cord is strung across my floor. I am used to it now, but it can sure get in the way at times.

And lastly, do not forget that nature abhors a vacuum. Whatever space you have will be consumed by STUFF!! My shop is now 4 yrs old, and I am in the "redo" phase - trying to make it more efficient and recover some of the space I lost due to lack of planning.

Sounds like you are heading into an exciting time. Enjoy it and good luck!!

Thanks for the good ideas so far! As far as the basic ideas of plugs, windows and lights....tons of each are already in the planning...just not on paper yet. I plan on a 200 amp box and a separate meter for the shop.

The piece of land is part of a 15 acre ranch...we're going to build on the 2 acres facing HWY 34 so I will have hwy frontage for the shop. Part of it will be a showroom for all the goodies I make. I started out with a 1000 sf drawing last nite and found it to be a very good size [got 320 sf right now]. I will be orienting the house and shop to compliment the site which is 100% wooded right now. There's a dry creek that runs when it rains [ephemeral?] and the area will be the focal point for the back of the house [living area, master and pool/bar room].

I don't plan on AC for this shop for two reasons....

[1] I like to work with the doors wide open. I plan on having two rollups and a set of french doors on one wall and several old french doors mounted sideways as 'above the belt' windows. The bottom will be 4-5' off the floor. They will be hinged to open as well for ventilation. I am considering a huge attic fan up top to remove the heat and vaulted ceilings throughout.

[2] I've worked outside for the last 12 years and will be for the foreseeable future at the wildlife center [unless we're in class teaching]. Working out there is very pleasant compared to the norm for me cause it's wooded and has nice breezes. The AC in my current shop never gets turned on...maybe partly cause it's too small.

The DC will more than likely be run in the crawlspace with a cyclone in an outside closet [with the compressor].

I already have another 20x30 out on the property to use for a staging area for the raw timber. I will be working almost exclusively with aromatic cedar and building mostly furniture like beds, tables, entertainment centers, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of tube lights, but am willing to use them if I can find good ones that don't flicker all the time [remember the first scene or two in Joe VS the Volcano]....I hate that. I run mostly CFL's out in my shop right now but I do have two tubers.

I would love to see drawings of you guys shops if any of you have them. I am a pretty good draftsman and am ready to lay this one out soon to get the copies off to some builders to see if it's going to be feasible for me to have it built or better if I GC it myself. In the meantime keep the ideas comin' I can never hear enough of them for this project...might just be my last house and shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of tube lights, but am willing to use them if I can find good ones that don't flicker all the time [remember the first scene or two in Joe VS the Volcano]....I hate that. I run mostly CFL's out in my shop right now but I do have two tubers.
    Kelly, I can't remember where I heard this at but penny for penny, lumen for lumen CFL's are much better than tubes. The problem is that the fixtures plus the price of the bulbs add up quickly. If you're in it for the long haul, they'll definitely pay for themselves.

For twin fluorescents, I get the ones with the electronic ballast, about $25 each at the Borg. No flicker and better start-up when cold. I use daylight bulbs (as Rick pointed out) - more expensive but more "natural" light.

Be well,

Doc

I wish I could give you a drawing for my shop, but I have yet to make it. When we moved into our house, I basically set up the tools in the sizable shed as best as I could, just to get moved in. It was so much more space than I was used to, I thought I couldn't go wrong. In hindsight, I should have stored the tools in the garage and done a lot of planning first. Currently, I am closing in my walls and completely reorganizing. Trust me -- wielding 4 by 8 sheets around a tablesaw is a little tricky.

One thing to consider, if you haven't already, is what you are going to do about a floor. I would not recommend a concrete floor, which is the norm for sheds in my area. If I had realized, I would have installed a floor over the concrete before I moved everything in.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

It will definitely be pier and beam. There will be no concrete on the property other than the cement around the posts.

You can see my shop layout on my web. As for some other issues you are concerned about…

I have had very good luck with full spectrum CFL’s, I have a mix of 42w and 105w bulbs in four separate circuits – nothing but cfl’s.

If you are thinking 1k to 2k square feet, I would lean heavily towards the high end if you want to get any sort of efficient production, that doesn’t include any “showroom” area. Part of the equation that’s easy to forget is “free space”. You need space to actually make stuff.

Even at 5’ above the floor, your wide “above the belt” windows will eat into your useable wall space for storage cabinets and such.

If you have vaulted ceilings than you might be able to get away with 8’ sidewalls. Wherever it is you are working with lumber, a 10’ ceiling is pretty handy.

PMB

Smile Another idea for your new shop

I am building a new shop and have included most of the great ideas from the other guys. I also added floor outlets, this keeps the area above and around the table saw and other tools free of cords.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

After pricing metal buildings against wood construction, the plans have changed drastically. I can get a slab poured and a metal building up and finished out for less than $30k....wood construction ran over $46k even with my free labor involved.

So the choice is clear. The building will have 12' sidewalls to accomodate a lift in one bay for working on vehicles and a 900 sq.ft. shop...plenty big for me. Since I have another 20x30 building for rough lumber processing, the final milling & assembly areas won't have to be as big as I originally thought. This brings me a total of 1500 sq.ft. dedicated to shop space.

I have yet to determine the exact plan for the floor...I am hopping to have enough money to raise the floor in the shop area 7" to accomodate a DC system underneath, but only time will tell on that one.

Sounds like a sound plan, Kelly. I do hope you can raise the floor as you say as it will make for a very comfortable work environment...given it's likely you'll be spending a LOT of time in there! Makes for a nicer showroom, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kelly, When you lay out your shop, DO NOT forget one of the most important yet least considered area in your shop.....the spray room. The best, strongest and most intricate piece you build is just so-so if your finish is dull or has dust particals or,,,well you get the picture. Remember the first thing anyone will do when they look at a piece of your work is to rub their hand across it to feel the "softness" of it. A dedicated finish area with a controled, filtered, venting system will help greatly in this.
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.