Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100a/125a service to workshop

100a/125a service to workshop

My garage workshop currently has 60a coming via a 6/3 line from the house on a 60a breaker. The subpanel is too small (eight 1/2" slots). I am getting a large cnc router this month and am bumping the power up out there. I only have 1 220v circuit right now and have wired in 3 more (window AC unit and 2 more dedicated 220 circuits for tools), plus 1 220v 30amp for the cnc...will make 5 separate 240v circuits total. I also added 2 more 110/20amp dedicated outlets to run the computer and controller box off of.

Anyways, the 6/3 (grounded at the garage, no ground running back to house) is direct buried as I found out today. Am I right to think that a 125 breaker is the highest you can go to branch off the main service to feed an out building? I am trying to decide between 100 and 125. There's a decent 125 box at the borg with plenty of slots that should work well.

Any definite word on wire size? For 100a I have read/heard that 3awg copper is fine (buried 18" in 1.25" pvc), but some places I read you need bigger...

I'm thinking to get that 125amp subpanel regardless and either get 3/3 or 2/3 copper and size my breaker to match whatever wire I end up getting.

Any recommendations?

You need to look at a couple of things.

First in my area - you would need to have four conductors to isolate the ground back to the panel if any changes are made to the sub-panel. Sounds like you are going to change this.

I was just speaking to an inspector on Tuesday and depending on the distance between the buildings you may need a ground rod at the out building - this is easy.

The panel can be oversized in order to provide more spaces -- the breaker at the main panel must be sized for the lessor of the wire or panel. I like to use conduit and I usually oversize it because I have had trouble when working alone on projects - so more space in the conduit makes it easier for me.

I have run into situations when an inspector will not allow a main breaker in a sub-panel - but I forget why

You need to check into the size requirements in your area -- You need to make sure it is done correctly. I once had to up size a wire size on an outbuilding. This is one area that it just not worth the hassles of getting it wrong. Also, 100-amp is a lot of power -- actually 60 amps is also.

How many things are going to run at one time?

I understand that telling someone to get a pro or consult with the local inspector is not much of an answer...............But...

Hi Eric, the maximum size of branch circuit breaker for your main panel will be determined by the panel manufacturer. You'll have to check your particular panel.

The wire gauge for your feeder to the garage will be determined by the feeder breaker size, and the distance (voltage drop).

I sugest that you seek out the reccomendations of a qualified individual in your area........Regards, Rod.

I have 100A service in my shop fed from the 200A panel in the house. I wish I had more spaces in the panel, but I've never wished for more power. I can run a huge window AC, 2HP dust collector, lights, computer, stereo and any one tool in the shop and there's no noticeable sag when anything starts up. I've probably even had my large compressor kick in during those times. I also weld with a decent size wire-feed welder--I don't run the AC (because I'm running a fan for ventilation) or dust collector (because that would just be crazy unsafe) when doing that. Plus at any time a number of loads in the house including the stove, hot tub, and/or AC could be on.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 07-31-2008 at 9:58 PM.

I'm planning on running a 100 amp breaker from my shop (200 amp service) to my wife's craft barn with a 100 amp sub panel using AWG2 aluminum direct bury wire a distance of 58 ft.

Copper is going to be very expensive.....besides aluminum is what the power companies run from the pole to your house/shop!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langford View Post
    I'm planning on running a 100 amp breaker from my shop (200 amp service) to my wife's craft barn with a 100 amp sub panel using AWG2 aluminum direct bury wire a distance of 58 ft.

Copper is going to be very expensive.....besides aluminum is what the power companies run from the pole to your house/shop!
    I would consider putting this wire in PVC if permitted. Makes it easier to replace / up grade, as hole in the ground is already there.

thanks everyone.. I checked back at the Depot and noticed that GE didn't sell any higher than 125a breakers for this purpose (as in to use in your 200a main to feed a circuit). Doesn't matter though, as I'll probably just go 100a breaker and either some 3awg copper (it will be grounded at the garage as it is right now in the existing setup..no reason to waste money running ground wire back to the house) or maybe some 2-2-2aluminum. I'll check with electrician on that..

I feel I need to go to 100a since I have a 240v table saw, bandsaw, and jointer. A 240v AC/heat unit that pulls quite a bit when in heating mode. The cnc router has a 7.5 hp spindle which requires a 30a breaker as well as 2 side ganged hitachi routers on the gantry, 3 stepper motors running, gecko drive controllers, computer, monitor, dust collection, possible future vacuum hold down setup.. and so on. Considering the nature of CNC, I fully plan on using my other equipment while the cnc is cutting..so I did the math and I felt 60a wasn't enough (not worth the risk for the 60a breaker to trip in the middle of a 6 hour cut because my compressor kicks on...)

Where is a good place to buy awg2?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I got mine at Lowes'......
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Niether my Home Depot or Lowe's carried AWG 2 but I've read here many do across the country. I ordered aluminum SER mail order for about $1.60 per foot (4 conductor as my sub is same building) -- cut to length.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langford View Post

100A is too large a circuit breaker for #2 AL, people use the NEC table ( 310.15(B)(6) ) for residental services and that exception does not apply to your case which means a 90 A circuit breaker is max see table 310.16 2002 NEC.

thanks Rollie, I'm gonna triple check the right gauge wire for sure before buying it for sure... it's easy to change breakers out... not so much to pull wire out of the ground!

Eric,

I have a 60 A 240 V service to my shop. I've always had plenty of juice for simultaneous operation of 3 HP dust collector, 3 HP cabinet saw, lighting, and heat-pump. Having multiple people running big tools simultaneously is the only reason I can think I would need more. I do use 240 V for tools when possible which halves their 120 V requirements.

I recently rewired my shop and wanted numerous circuits/breakers. I got a 100 A panel but used a 60 A breaker for the main, since I couldn't find any 60 A panels with enough slots.

I did learn that the code does put a maximum limit on the number of breaker slots in a panel for a given feed capacity (to prevent the temptation to exceed the feed capacity by too much, I guess), so I had to use a relatively small panel (for a 100 A panel) to avoid exceeding that limit.

--Wayne

I recently wired a sub in my shop from a 100A breaker in the 200A main panel. I used about 35' of 2/2/2/4 Aluminum wire from HD. The wire was about $.90/ft. HD does not carry 2G. copper. The feed is not buried. The panel is a 100A GE Homeline with room for 12 breakers (I have 3 2-pole and 6 single-pole breakers in there). It all passed; the electrician even commented on my tidy wiring! (I did do panel wiring as my first full-time job when I was 16).

Cheers,
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    Eric,

I have a 60 A 240 V service to my shop. I've always had plenty of juice for simultaneous operation of 3 HP dust collector, 3 HP cabinet saw, lighting, and heat-pump. Having multiple people running big tools simultaneously is the only reason I can think I would need more. I do use 240 V for tools when possible which halves their 120 V requirements.

I recently rewired my shop and wanted numerous circuits/breakers. I got a 100 A panel but used a 60 A breaker for the main, since I couldn't find any 60 A panels with enough slots.

I did learn that the code does put a maximum limit on the number of breaker slots in a panel for a given feed capacity (to prevent the temptation to exceed the feed capacity by too much, I guess), so I had to use a relatively small panel (for a 100 A panel) to avoid exceeding that limit.

--Wayne
    There is no limit other then the 42 circuit max in a panel. (This rule was removed in the 2008 NEC*) A 100A main breaker loadcenter is avail w/ 30 spaces & a 40 or 42 space main lug panel could have a main breaker back fed if a code required "retainer clip" is used,this clip is used to hold down the breaker in place.

*The 2008 has only been adopted in limited areas & older panels will not be allowed to jammed w/ more breakers then the manufacturer has allowed, instructions will state the max allowed....