Thread: Riser block question

Question Riser block question

I just received my first bandsaw, a Grizzly G0555. I'm in the process of setting it up, and I'm contemplating a riser block for greater resawing capacity. I'd appreciate any comments on whether the riser block will affect the saw's performance (blade tensioning, tracking, vibration, etc.). I've read in previous threads that most bandsaw users leave the riser block permanently installed, presumably because it's a hassle to uninstall and reinstall.

Any comments on bandsaw performance with and without the riser block (especially the G0555) would be very helpful. I apologize if this question has been answered before, but there are a lot of bandsaw threads!!

Thanks!

I've got the riser block in my G0555x, no issues what so ever. No reason to remove once it is in place, that would just mean having to have blades in both sizes. Just be sure to clean up all of the mating surfaces before installation. There was some heavy over-spray on my riser block that I had to remove prior to installation. Other than that, it's just a hunk of metal so not much can really go wrong. Thus far a 1/2" re-saw blade has been working great for resawing up to 11" oak and maple.

I have a G0555 bandsaw with riser block and it works great.

You don't want to (or need to) take it off once installed.

Also, while do-able alone, I recommend having a helper around when you install the riser block. The top unit is heavy and awkward enough that it will be a lot easier and safer) if you have some help getting it off and back on.

Ditto. I'm an old skinny guy and I installed the riser myself. No hernia! Buy it, you'll love it!!!

Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kinn View Post
    I've got the riser block in my G0555x, no issues what so ever. No reason to remove once it is in place, that would just mean having to have blades in both sizes. Just be sure to clean up all of the mating surfaces before installation. There was some heavy over-spray on my riser block that I had to remove prior to installation. Other than that, it's just a hunk of metal so not much can really go wrong. Thus far a 1/2" re-saw blade has been working great for resawing up to 11" oak and maple.
    I hadn't thought about the cost of two sets of blades. I'll be sure to remove the over-spray, etc. What 1/2" blade are you using? I was considering a Wood Slicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rowe View Post
    Also, while do-able alone, I recommend having a helper around when you install the riser block. The top unit is heavy and awkward enough that it will be a lot easier and safer) if you have some help getting it off and back on.
    Thanks for the caution. I lifted the saw unit onto the base, and that was enough for me! I'll ask LOML to help me with the riser block. I'm old (not very skinny) and I seem to be hurting something every few months.

I have the Grizzly riser kit on my Ridgid bandsaw. The Grizzly kit is high quality, all nice heavy parts. Installation is pretty straight forward, you'll need large wrenches for the nut and bolt. Do it and you will really enjoy the extra capacity.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Stevens View Post
    What 1/2" blade are you using? I was considering a Wood Slicer.
    I use a 1/2" Wood Slicer for resawing, and find that it does an exceptional job. It also works great for ripping and long gentle curves, but not as well on tighter curves that other 1/2" brands would handle easily. I think it might have something to do with the tooth set on the WS which I believe has been designed specifically for resawing.

Make sure you have a few other 105" blades of 1/2" and smaller in your arsenal as well as the WS to cover all types of cuts you will encounter.