Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw/aftermarket fence question

Table saw/aftermarket fence question

I am just getting into woodworking, and I have a bit of a dilemna that I wasn't able to resolve with the search feature.

I bought a run of the mill contractor saw to get going from craigslist. It came with a nice Freud blade, but the fence is worthless. So I need to get a new fence which got me looking into Incra, Biesemeyer, Vega et. al. Since I don't have a lot of tools, the more versatility I can squeeze out of my table saw the better I will be. But I am apprehensice about dropping $300-$400 on a fence on a cheap contractor saw.

I want to build furniture, and I am a perfectionist, so a good fence seems like it is a must. My train of thought is that I can always transition any fence onto my next saw. But I wonder if I am putting lipstick on a pig.

So how bad of an idea is it to put a high dollar fence on a contractor saw? Thanks for the help.

A good quality fence will make life much easier and improve precision greatly. If you are looking for something for your start up saw, I would recommend picking up a RIGID aftermarket fence (AC1036 I think). While all the other brands are great the RIGID is much less expensive (around $120 maybe less) and it is a great fence. Just ask other RIGID table saw owners. It was a night and day improvement on my father in laws craftsman. Just my 2 cents

Mike

Sounds to me like a fence like the Delta T2 for $150 or less would make the most sense....you'll get about 95% of the fence at about 50% of the cost. It's like a "Biese Lite".

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

It's not a bad idea at all. A contractors saw can be just as accurate as a cabinet saw. The differences in the two saws lies with dust collection, footprint, weight and adjustability not with accuracy. If you are a stickler for accuracy and repeatability go with th incra. The down side of the incra is that you loose your right side table space.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Depends

Depends on what brand of table saw.
    The Delta Contractors saw is a great saw for furniture building.
    Although a good fence is a definite plus, how good is the saw itself?

Tony B

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    So how bad of an idea is it to put a high dollar fence on a contractor saw? Thanks for the help.
    I bought the Incra TS for my Jet Contractors saw. It is a pleasure to use every time I set it. And yes it will go with me if I upgrade to a cabinet saw.

If you are going to be doing furniture of any size. Think about also investing in an EZ-Smart or Saw guide system of some type. It is very difficult to work with large sheets on a table saw without lots of in/out feed tables etc. For the price of those roller stands you can get an EZ Smart 112" guide.

The combination of my EZ-Smart and my Table Saw does everything that I ask of it.

The other fences talked about here are also great options. But either way consider some type of saw guide or make your own for sheet breakdown or for cross cutting backs of dressers / bookcases etc. It's much safer and if you do a Zero Clearance setup for the handsaw, you can get a very good quality cut.

Good Luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Sounds to me like a fence like the Delta T2 for $150 or less would make the most sense....you'll get about 95% of the fence at about 50% of the cost. It's like a "Biese Lite".

Ditto. Put one on my older Sears saw, and it makes a HUGE difference. The Bies is better, but the T2 is the value leader IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Brooks View Post
    I bought the Incra TS for my Jet Contractors saw. It is a pleasure to use every time I set it. And yes it will go with me if I upgrade to a cabinet saw.

If you are going to be doing furniture of any size. Think about also investing in an EZ-Smart or Saw guide system of some type. It is very difficult to work with large sheets on a table saw without lots of in/out feed tables etc. For the price of those roller stands you can get an EZ Smart 112" guide.

The combination of my EZ-Smart and my Table Saw does everything that I ask of it.

The other fences talked about here are also great options. But either way consider some type of saw guide or make your own for sheet breakdown or for cross cutting backs of dressers / bookcases etc. It's much safer and if you do a Zero Clearance setup for the handsaw, you can get a very good quality cut.

Good Luck with your decision.
    Wow, I started the thread trying to figure out if I was thinking too big by putting a nice fence on my saw, and it turns out I wasn't thinking big enough. I need more tools

Thanks for the advice guys. Now I just need to figure out how to prioritize between the fence, a bandsaw, clamps/cauls, and a workbench. It is tough because it seems like I need all of them to really get moving, but I just can't afford getting them all at once.

I will probably get the fence and clamps and then pick up the rest of the stuff as I go. I will just have to use the table saw for as many things as possible at first. At least I will get really proficient with it.

I upgraded from my Craftsman contractor TS to a ridgid contractor TS about a year and a half ago. The fence system is very acurate and sturdy. I am thrilled with the new saw. my wife and kids gave it to me two Christmases ago, they rock.
    It ain't broke untill I try to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    ...It is tough because it seems like I need all of them to really get moving, but I just can't afford getting them all at once.

I will probably get the fence and clamps and then pick up the rest of the stuff as I go. I will just have to use the table saw for as many things as possible at first. At least I will get really proficient with it.
    You don't have to get everything at once. Actually much of the work can be done on the table saw, especially one with a decent fence. Picking up tools as you need them is a good approach. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I put a Biesemeyer on my $99 Delta shopmaster, and it totallly transformed my work. Not only did I never have to worry about accuracy, but I felt much safer, feeling kickback was less likely with a reliably parallel fence.

When it comes time to upgrade to a cabinet saw, you can leverage your fence to save money.

If you can afford the fence,,. then get it. You will never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    I put a Biesemeyer on my $99 Delta shopmaster, and it totallly transformed my work. Not only did I never have to worry about accuracy, but I felt much safer, feeling kickback was less likely with a reliably parallel fence.

When it comes time to upgrade to a cabinet saw, you can leverage your fence to save money.

If you can afford the fence,,. then get it. You will never look back.
    Now that I'd love to see pictures of! Did you have to mount the fence to some sort of workstation and just set the saw in the station? Did you have to cut it down at all? I'm trying to envision 75# of fence on a 52# saw.

41nPYsX0a0L._SS500_.jpg
    41N3ZMM8JNL._SS500_.jpg
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Exactly!

Yep. A nasty frisbee incident cause by the unreliable fence and one too many tipping incidents inspired me to embed the saw in a 3' x 7' mobile workbench I had. Needless to say, I chunked the fence.

The miter slots on that little saw are not a standard width, and the puny miter guage that came with the saw was crap, so I leveled the sawtop with the workbench frame, secured it to the stretchers, overlaid it with 1/2" mdf and a formica sheet, raised the blade through to create a "zero clearance insert," and very carefully routed two new 3/4" wide miter slots parallel to the blade. I could have cut a hole for a real zero clearance insert, but never got around to it, so I was restricted to 90-degree cuts. Also, I lost 1/2" cutting depth due to the mdf.

If the slots in the TS had been usable, I would have left it flush with the workbench top and routed slots as needed on the infeed and outfeed sides of the workbench, similar to how you would with an outfeed table.

So, this pic provides an end-shot of the Frankensaw on the right. You can just see the bottom of the Delta Shopmaster peeking out under the workbench's black apron (just above the planer).

About 6 months later I found a 7' Biesemeyer rail on clearance at my local woodworking retailer ($60) and a commercial Biesemeyer "scratch-n-dent" fence from the Biesemeyer site (I couldn't find any dents or scraches on it) for about $120. And there you have it. My cuts have been accurate ever since.

I never mounted the back rail, because its intended purpose is to keep your auxilary table level with the table saw. In my case, it wasn't possible to attach the rail to the actual saw. You can see the back rail sitting on the bottom shelf of the workbench.

Served me well for about 2 1/2 years.

To preserve my honor, I'll say that, recently the Shopmaster died and I upgraded to a "respectable" cabinet saw (JET JTAS-10XL with a 52" Xacta fence; same capacity as the Biese).

The grand jury is still gathering evidence in the case of Xacta v. Biese. We'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 07-31-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Last week I was using my brother-in-laws Bies equipped cabinet saw and realized just how spoiled I've become with the Incra on my contractor saw.

If your saw will hold a truing up then a good blade with a nice fence and miter will make it a pleasure to use. Go for it.

Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    Yep. A nasty frisbee incident cause by the unreliable fence and one too many tipping incidents inspired me to embed the saw in a 3' x 7' mobile workbench I had. Needless to say, I chunked the fence.

The miter slots on that little saw are not a standard width, and the puny miter guage that came with the saw was crap, so I leveled the sawtop with the workbench frame, secured it to the stretchers, overlaid it with 1/2" mdf and a formica sheet, raised the blade through to create a "zero clearance insert," and very carefully routed two new 3/4" wide miter slots parallel to the blade. I could have cut a hole for a real zero clearance insert, but never got around to it, so I was restricted to 90-degree cuts. Also, I lost 1/2" cutting depth due to the mdf.

If the slots in the TS had been usable, I would have left it flush with the workbench top and routed slots as needed on the infeed and outfeed sides of the workbench, similar to how you would with an outfeed table.

So, this pic provides an end-shot of the Frankensaw on the right. You can just see the bottom of the Delta Shopmaster peeking out under the workbench's black apron (just above the planer).

About 6 months later I found a 7' Biesemeyer rail on clearance at my local woodworking retailer ($60) and a commercial Biesemeyer "scratch-n-dent" fence from the Biesemeyer site (I couldn't find any dents or scraches on it) for about $120. And there you have it. My cuts have been accurate ever since.

I never mounted the back rail, because its intended purpose is to keep your auxilary table level with the table saw. In my case, it wasn't possible to attach the rail to the actual saw. You can see the back rail sitting on the bottom shelf of the workbench.
    Wow...Danny, that's easily the most impressive Delta Shopmaster setup I've ever seen. I've seen some nice TS station setups before, but this one takes the cake...Very impressive! Do you mind if I save a copy of those pics for future reference?