Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need to vent.....

A bit of advice?

I've been through this before and the worst thing possible is to try guessing what folks want. You could prepare a bunch of work with gloss finish and satin is what folks are buying. You could make 12" and they all want 6". Prepare as many nice pieces as you can, showing options and displaying photos. Bring a bunch of business cards, get some other something to pass out. Hold a drawing for a beautiful bowl or set or ?? and use the sign ups for entries to start a mailing list -- GET THEIR EMAIL on the entry form. Try to sell commissioned work. The work you get will be sold and the there will not be inventory that did not sell.

IF the money is bothering you -- and it shouldn't -- $140 is CHEAP exposure for the potential of 15,000 views of your product and advertising. You could not buy that good of an ad in the newspaper or the TV for that price.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Got to start sometime!
    Work on your dry bowls and get as many of those done that you can!
    I don't know how your area is but around here I make just as much money on smaller turnings that only takes 15-20 min to turn and sand.
    Small Oil lamps do well for me, I can sell them from $20-$45 depending on size and type of wood I use.
    I get the disposible type that wal-mart sells around .99 cents for the small ones and around $1.50 for the larger ones. I use my dry cutoffs to make them or I use 4/4 lumber. not a big investment to make them.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

I'd better get started....

Jim what you said is interesting. I may be more successful with this crowd if I have a lot of smaller items.

Well, it's 7:30 AM. Time to head out to the shop.

Hutch

Shows are good,shows are------

I agree with the go get the exposure advice. I have only been to a couple 15K a day shows but they were profitible.
    Bob

As my wife tells me about not doing shows or trying to sell my stuff outside my comfort zone. " I have never seen someone so talented that is not willing to make at least enough selling as it did to buy the "toys" that you have". I know the feeling about not being ready and about not wanting to look amateurish but if you have that kind of exposure available I say go for it. (and yes I am still hiding in the corner not going out and trying to make something off of the masses)

25 pieces isn't a bad showing if they're quality pieces by the way. The last show I did had over 100 pieces by various artists. There was a lot of good work that was overlooked because of the shear number of pieces available in such a small space.

Having tables filled with 100 or more pieces that you quickly hobbled together won't make for a good show anyway. With over a month to prep, I would say go ahead and devote the time into getting it put together. Present the pieces as individually as possible, maybe on raised boxes covered in cloth or something similar.

It does bite that they did not get back with you on your time frame but so it goes. Like others have said, with that big of a show, they aren't concerned about catering to a lone vendor. If you're concerned about that, the show may not be for you.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Matt...Welcome to the art fair world. There is not an event that you will ever participate in that is aggravation-free.

First off...What kind of an event is this?....A juried event?...Community show with free admission or a private event with a paid admission fee? Most shows reserve a few spaces to accomodate a number of reasons such as late entries or last minute changes to the show's layout. so, don't get too upset with the director. She has plenty on her plate at this late stage. At least she finally returned your call. If you go over her head, and this is not a juried event, say goodbye to ever participating in it.

Things to remember.....Do you have a Sales tax license for your state?.....You may need a local vendor's license. Do you have the ability to accept credit cards?......(just a few)

What are your price points? $20 items seem to sell well. If you have a shelf full of nice bowls @$40-80, many people just look and say "very nice" and be on their way. Items like chain pulls and letter openers are always good movers. The smaller items are your bread and butter.

Whether you decide to participate in the event or not, you should attend the fair as an observer. What are the people buying? Are the buying flat art, country collectibles, jewellry or whatever. Talk to the other artists....see how their sales are. Yogi Berra said that "YOU can observe a lot by just looking".

It doesn't sound like you are quite ready for your first show. No matter how preparred you think that you are for a show, there is always something that gets overlooked. What kind of canopy do you have?...Shelving?...Tables? A professional display takes time, money and effort. I've done shows for 15 years and it is my experience that the wood turners doing their first few have the least professional displays out there. I can't say why, but that is what I see. I've seen guys with their preferred wood turning group's hat on, standing there with a few tables of turnings and wonder why biz isn't good.

Finally.....Even the most seasoned art fair vendor can get to a show prepared for anything. You can have high end items and low end items ......and everything in between. And youmay find that the folks attending the fair are only there for their annual fix of $8-a-bag kettle corn!!!!!

Edit....Is it my eyes or does the thumbnail look soft?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg Savage; 07-30-2008 at 9:53 AM. Reason: thumbnail stuff

New Experience

I obviously don't have any experience with shows, but I can assume such a show (more crafts than art) isn't likely to draw a crowd of big spenders. On the other hand, I may be a sort of 'light in the darkness' which in itself may give a good first impression.

As far as display goes, having dark cloth draped over stands/tables has a decent appearance. I am more concerned with my lack on an awning. Also, I think if my booth looked too much like a gallery people might feel less comfortable. Except for the NE bowls and delicate turnings, I want people to touch the pieces. A balance between warmth and art gallery feel is what I think I will go for. Any inexpensive but attractive awning suggestions?

Here's my plan. I am going to have one or two very high end pieces $600 to $1300, a few between $120 and $250, about 8 between $75 and $120, and about 10 between $40 and $75. If have time I might make some small, thin walled oval bowls priced to move, but that's the lowest priority.

I do have to have a tax ID, but that's it. I don't plan on accepting credit cards. If I can call in a CC purchase for an individual high end piece I would consider it, but I won't offer it for the rest of the stuff. I'll have to investigate.

Thanks again for all the input. Keep it coming!

Hutch

Hutch,

Go to Sam's Club for the easy up, four sided, canopies. The ones at Sam's have removable sides. The cost is under $200. Dick's and other similar sporting goods stores have the easy up canopies. A lot of football fans use them to tailgate.

They are easy to set up. Open the box take it out. Spread the canopy so it is square. Lift the corners up until they they lock. Adjust the height on all four corners and you are done. no assembly required. One less problem on your list.

Doug Rogers

Blog Entries

thats easey

the first bowl is 140.00. watch pricing to cheap so you dont end up working to long on orders, and not able to do what you find fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post

I do have to have a tax ID, but that's it. I don't plan on accepting credit cards. If I can call in a CC purchase for an individual high end piece I would consider it, but I won't offer it for the rest of the stuff.

Hutch
    Hutch.....A tax ID is good....It can save you a lot of problems should the the state dept of revenue decide to check for your sales tax ID license. I have only been checked once in the last dozen years.

Do you have a merchant account with a credit card vendor such as TeaMac, Mobile Artisans, or MerchantAnywhere? With the ability to accept credit cards, your bottom line will likely show an increase in sales.....When I started taking cards, my sales increased 50%. Without an merchant account, you can't call anybody to take a credit card.

As far as wanting people touching your pieces, watch out for the kids with their sticky little hands!

I just got back from a show where a mother was scolding a child for touching things. The kid was pitching a fit. All of this was within 10 ft of my booth. I then hear mom saying..."i told you not to touch anything. You might break something. These artists work hard on their things and don't want them broken. Don't touch anything unless I say so!" She then comes into my booth....Straight at a $3400 work and said...."Here, you can touch this." I quickly snapped..."Do you think so? I think not!". Sometimes you have to get their attention. Somebody once told me that anyone who comes into your booth is a potential customer. At times I think that you need to take a chance on losing the sale.

Hutch
    go for it. Secondly, I'd speak to the director about getting "prime" booth location locked in for next year in response to her lack of responses this year. Best of luck.
    jack

Matt, we're over in Spring Lake and sell bowls at a few art/craft shows around Western MI. and feel your pain. I've learned that in general, show entries are down and most promoters will take almost anybody with a pulse. That's both good and bad news! However, it all depends on who's promoting the show. Most competent promoters want to fill up the show ASAP. But If the people in charge are unpaid volunteers from some organization putting on the show, they may be less than enthusiastic in returning your calls. Personally, if I were you I'd ask for a discount because it's so late. Remember, there are many shows to choose from so you should be selective and not waste your time and money on lower quality or poorly run shows. Good luck.

The work has begun.....

I have about 20 bowls second turned, awaiting their final turning sometime in the next two weeks. I have another 7 or so ready to be finished right now. This morning I skimmed the sealer off the 22" cherry bowl. I am happy to find it will be ready for the show. I can't wait to see people's reaction. 22" doesn't sound that big, but in person it looks huge! Also, I put the first coat of finish on a nice 13" claro walnut root burl bowl. It's gorgeous! I will post a pic soon as the wax goes on.

I'm excited.......oh yeah.

Hutch