Thread: One of my more recent bowls.

One of my more recent bowls.

This bowl was from a Box Elder blank I bought from a local cast off source. The outside of the blank was very light in color. Which seems to be typical of Box elder. But as I turned out came the most lovely surprise. Not sure what would cause the color and pattern I found in the wood. Is this a burl or more typical of Box Elder or ???

The good news is that it cost me a $1.50, was great practice and... I have several more of them. I wonder if any of the others will have such hidden surprises.

This was also my first go round at rounded walls. It was fun trying to match the inner and outer curves on the walls. I however had a "Duh!" moment as I went to finish it. Because the top of the bowl was rounded I couldn't finish the bottom as I normally would using my cole jaws. The duh moment was because I could have gripped from the inside out but it never occurred to me at the time. *sigh*

What do you guys think? I know it is largely a matter of preference but should the walls be thinner?

Joshua
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the form and the thick walls. Makes me want to pick it up and feel the weight. Nicely done.

Nice looking bow!

It is easy to struggle with wall thickness, and form, (shape) but it comes with expierence. We turn for those "Ah Ha" moments when we find the hidden beauty in a piece of wood.
    Bob

Joshua - first off - that is one beautiful piece of wood! Lots of color and curl! I like the thickness and form of this bowl as it really showcases the variations of the wood. You will find that wall thickness is a matter of taste and also a source of on-going debate. The way you rounded over the lip of the bowl ties the inside and outside curves together and having the wood slightly thicker allows those curves to flow.

If I were to suggest anything, it would be to consider more of a curve on the bottom of the bowl. One such that the sides taper towards the center and creates less of a blocky/chunky feel to it. I would keep the thickness the same - just curve the sidewalls in a little more - if that makes sense.

Nice work! Beautiful wood! I would say you got your $1.50 worth out of this piece! Looking forward to seeing the next one!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Joshua very nice looking bowl and some nice looking wood. I agree with Steve that the only thing I might change is the outside curve.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.