Thread: Laguna Bandsaw Experience

Laguna Bandsaw Experience

I appreciate everyone's feedback on my "what's the best bandsaw" post. Lots of things to think about and great responses. For my needs, which seem to be broad, I am leaning toward a Laguna 14 (2HP) or 16 (3HP) if I can swing it.
    What I'm wondering here is if I could get some feedback from Laguna owner's (preferably the fairly recent models) (or who've used 'em) probably primarily related to the guides (adjusting, wearing, using with small blades for almost scroll saw type work) and ease of blade changes and getting everything quick "reset" without much hassle.
    Thanks ahead of time!

I have the LT16 (I think that's the model) I purchased about 5-6 years ago. The original fence was a waste of iron. Several years ago I sprung for their ceramic guides and although they work well when properly adjusted, the process is painful. I think there was little effort put into the design from an adjustment standpoint. For the money. I wouldn't do it had I known how difficult they are to adjust properly.

That said, I use Lennox Tri-Master carbide blades and they leave a finish that will have you reaching for your glasses when standing at the planer trying to figure out which side goes up. I also bought their (forget the name) carbide blade and have really been disappointed. No comparison to the Tri-Master. Think 2/5 as opposed to 5/5. The table on mine is small and i wish it was bigger. One day I hope to buy a bigger dedicated resaw machine and save this set up with a smaller blade and build a bigger table.

Kevin

I have a Laguna LT16HD, which I bought about eight years ago. It is a good machine. I use it almost exclusively for resaw, with a carbide blade. I may have a different fence from Kevin. Mine is aluminum, and works quite well. My saw antedates those Laguna ceramic guides, so I can't tell you about them. Like Kevin says, the table is too small, but that's true of all bandsaws. I hung a folding push-off table off the back of mine, and that helps a lot. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=bandsaw)

My LT16 was an early model and I replaced the original bearings with the ceramics (I'm a sucker for new stuff). I'm not sure mine is the HD model and has a more basic table and fence. It was way better than the one it replaced.

Kevin

I have a Laguna LT16HD that I purchased used 3 years ago. I was nearly new when I bought it and it came with the ceramic guides. The performance of the ceramic is fine, but I thought the performace of the ball bearing guides on my old saw was fine for 15 years. I will say that adjusting the ceramic guides is pretty fussy. There are allen bolts at the top and bottom for each piece ceramic. So, when you tighten one screw, the guide moves a little. I have to set and reset each of the 4 ceramic guides several times to get it just right. I spend maybe 10 min setting guides with the ceramic, and with the old ball bearing guides on my old saw, it was maybe 1-2 minutes...joe

I can't comment on the 14", but for the 16", the general commentary over the years has been to go for the HD model. The lighter version did not seem to provide as much satisfaction to folks. I would agree with that idea based on my experience with a competing machine that is similar to the heavier Laguna 16" saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was originally planning on buying the LT14. When I called Laguna to price it out there was only a minimal difference in price for the LT16 once a stand and shipping were factored in so that is what I bought. I've found the ceramic guides to be a pain to adjust. They need to be readjusted when you raise or lower the blade guard. You need multiple varieties (t-handle and L shaped) of hex keys in the same size to effectively adjust them. I've found the fence to be decent for my needs. Dust collection is about what most people report for bandsaws.
    The customer service I encountered was a disaster. I've read many accounts of similar treatment. If I suggested to my wife that I wanted a new Laguna tool she would hit me on the head on my instructions.
    There are so many alternatives out there these days in the size range you are looking at that you can get a very serviceable saw at a reasonable price.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Don't have the latest version, but I have owned a LT18 since 2001 and love it. My machine pre-dated the ceramic versions, but I later upgraded to the ceramic guides. I agree, they are fussy to adjust whenever you change blades, but I don't change very often anyway. I purchased a Rikon benchtop to compliment the larger machine for small scroll-type cuts, so the LT has a
    1" blade on it 90% of the time.
    As for choosing between the 14 and 16; I would go for the larger machine in the HD configuration. You will never regret the choice of a larger capacity machine with more muscle, and you can always use smaller blades for the smaller curve cuts.
    Stay safe and watch those fingers.