Thread: $100 for a Delta 14-650 mortiser still in the box....

$100 for a Delta 14-650 mortiser still in the box....

I have the opportunity to pick up this tool new in the box for $100. Some reviews I've read though didn't look too promising and I'm guessing I'd need to get some good chisels if I were to get this unit. On the other hand, the price is promising and maybe worth it even with a few upgrades.

I'm not running a professional shop or anything so I don't need anything heavy duty, but I do think that a mortiser would come in handy in some situations. But I wonder if it's one of those tools that's typically bought with good intentions and then collects dust

What do you think? Is it worth the investment? How much would decent chisels run? Anyone have experience with this unit?

Thanks!

These are great if you plan to do a LOT of mortises. Do you build arts and crafts or mission pieces? Chances are you will want one of these.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

It's a good machine. The chisels need to be honed before use. I use a waterstone on the outside and a diamond cone on the inside. BTW that's a great deal!

Be a little careful

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    Some reviews I've read though didn't look too promising and I'm guessing I'd need to get some good chisels if I were to get this unit.

What do you think? Is it worth the investment? How much would decent chisels run? Anyone have experience with this unit?
    Hey, Michael.

Check this thread out: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88680 - I just purchased this 650 on CL for around $50 with some chisels. You can see the results. I used it for all of 2 hours before it broke.

From the responses, there were several things I was doing incorrectly, but now I'm left with a really, really slow setup time. Had I bought a new one, I wouldn't have had to deal with that older style fence and these problems, but if I did, I'd have an out - the warranty.

It's still functional, and was a big help, but the mortises will still need a lot of hand cleanup. The bulk of the work is complete, but is in no way perfect.

Here's my take - if you're doing a bunch of non-through mortises that will be hidden by the shoulders of your adjoining piece, go for it! If not, you can do mortises with a router and less cleanup with a corner chisel. This would gain more skill and joy (in my opinion) than using the Delta. Not that there's anything wrong with it, you'll just need some practice and cleanup time after each one.

Good luck!

Engineering

The engineering on these leave much to be desired. If you don't mind having to rig up a better hold down system and fence, then it's not a bad tool. The chisels will absolutely need to be sharpened. Also, you will have to dedicate benchtop space, as this tool needs to be bolted down. It requires a bit of force to plunge the chisel through hard woods and if you have shoulder, back or wrist problems this may not be the tool for you.

But the price is great! A good opportunity if you plan on making blind mortises.

Hutch