Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DeWalt Radial arm saw a good purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by James Williams 007 View Post
    The motor is powerful and spins for a few minutes after I turn the saw off. The motor is missing the reset button and something else, look at the pictures and see if you can give me any advice.
    I wonder if it has been rebuilt once?

Besides the reset button, the motor is missing its on/off toggle switch. I believe the GW or GWI series was the only model to have that feature.
    Check out Delphi forums Dewalt radial arm saw group. It is the same bunch as the Yahoo DeWalt group, and besides OWWM (already saw your pictures there), the best chance to find one (I know of one other person looking).

That is a good saw. My dad actually has what appears to be the exact same one. He has had it since he was in high school. I used it to build two vanities for my folks when I was there visiting them. It impressed me because as old as it is and the condition appeared a bit worn but boy was it accurate and worked great.

Have fun with it.

Jerry

You got a really good buy on that saw, they don't make them like that anymore. Here is a link to a company that specializes in DeWalt RAS's, they buy up all the saws they can find and rebuild them. I'm sure you could get parts and plenty of info for your saw.

http://www.wolfemachinery.com/
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

You did very well..IMHO, You'll appreciate it even more as you clean it up, repair, etc...congrats!!
    Jerry

DeWalt Envy

James,

I'm envious. I think you got a very good deal.

I picked up a model 1400 Powershop about two years ago, and am just now getting around to getting it set up, tuned up, cleaned up, and fired up. I got mine for $150, and it's in real good condition. But, I didn't have space to set it up until just recently.

Last year, our house burned to the gound in the wildfires here in CA. The old RAS, which was stored under the house, was one of the only tools saved. Insurance has allowed me to retool with TS, BS, DP and planer, but the RAS is getting a place of honor in the garage-workshop of the new house.

I'm not planning on painting mine...just cleaning and using. But, I'll post pics in the not too distant future. Keep us informed.

Lon
    Last edited by Lon LeBlanc; 08-27-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Consider putting new bearings in the motor. They're 50 years old and probably dried out. Even if it sound OK now, after a few hours of use it may start getting noisy and scoring the shaft. It's cheap insurance.

Good buy!

Kirk
    who needs to change the bearings on his 45 year old Dewalt...

Blade Guard

Quote Originally Posted by James Williams 007 View Post
    I picked it up and it's in better condition than I expected. It only needs one knob the one to adjust the tilt and the rubber bumpers are a little cracked but nothing major. The motor is powerful and spins for a few minutes after I turn the saw off. The motor is missing the reset button and something else, look at the pictures and see if you can give me any advice. The saw seems to have a newer model blade guard for some reason? If anyone knows where I can find a round blade guard For a 1956ish GWI let me know. I would like to restore it completely but I plan on putting a new table top on it and using it until I get everything together then I'll tear it down completely and put a new paint job on it.
    James,
    I am new to this sight so I do not know how old this information is. Are you still looking for a blade guard for the De Walt gw saw?

Contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx (PST) and leave call back if I am out.

Tom
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-09-2020 at 5:58 PM. Reason: Removed phone number...Contributors can use Private Messages to communicate with others here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bennett View Post
    James,
    I am new to this sight so I do not know how old this information is. Are you still looking for a blade guard for the De Walt gw saw?

Contact me at 805 527-9193 (PST) and leave call back if I am out.

Tom
    It's been twelve years since James created this thread and two years since he visited the SMC.

I've had three RASs and would not be without one. I had a monster 16" Comet back in the early 70s that we towed to work sites and did everything, a Sears Electronic RAS for my home shop which I loved, and presently have a 12" DeWalt Rockell Black and Decker (there are three plates on it) probably from the late 1950s, 240v which does a lot. Learn how to tune it up and do so a couple times a year. Its nice for quick tenons.
    Regards,

Tom

Necrothread

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”