Thread: Other Digital Readout Display Options

Other Digital Readout Display Options

I came across these DROs while sifting through the Reid Supply Catalog. There are 3 basic types, plastic (which is actually repackaged as an optional accessory for the Jet J/P in Europe), metal, and heavy duty metal. You basically detach the height adjusting wheel, insert the DRO box, then reattach the wheel. You only have to match the bore size (easy) and the ratios (I would call as units are not given). I copy/pasted the info below. Ohh and I am just an end user not a salesman of any sort.

"Easily mounts on all types of machinery and equipment where there is an adjusting hand wheel or crank. Ideal for packaging, woodworking, textile, printing, and converting machines. Reduces setup time and allows repeatable manual position changes and settings. Provides exact, incremental position readings on manually adjusted control shafts or spindles from a fraction of a turn to multiple turns. Sealed to prevent cover separation and dust free operation. Steel black oxide shaft collar and "positive drive" internal gear mechanism for smooth, exact operation. Available in either injection molded plastic housing or heavy duty metal housing. Five digit counter with clockwise and counter-clockwise rotation available in various standard ratios. Rear foam mounting gasket included. Fastens on to shaft with set screw. Other ratios, and readout configurations available as special order. Please call for price and delivery. Made in the U.S.A."

"And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon." -- Scotty

http://www.elesausa.com/

The above site has direct drive displays as well as gravity type displays.

The gravity type are used on many European machines such as Felder and Hammer, and function exactly like the odometers that you see in truck wheel hubs.

The gravity instruments have matching handwheels that they fit into, making retro fit applications easy. The only issue is that the shaft cannot be more than 60 degrees from horizontal.

Regards, Rod.

Tejax Engineering, the manufacturer, also has many Analog Readout Display & Wheel combo options available as well. Very worth looking into to see how these perform/cost.

I know a couple of machinists who modify digital vernier calipers for readouts in their home workshops. They are great for linear distance, and most of the caliper boxes will read out more distance than just the travel of the caliper if you join several lengths of "track" end to end. Great for a table saw fence if you are into that much precision.

Rod,

I actually was looking at what else was out there other than the Felder/Hammer offering but I should just get theirs since it has already been tailored fit for their machines and guaranteed to work without a hitch.

Hi Steve, my Hammer A3-31 has the readout built into the elevation handwheel and it has good accuracy and repeatability...Rod.

The issue with this style of read out is that it doesn't take backlash of the worm gears into account. Since the backlash in the system changes from saw to saw so will your accuracy.

Also their accuracy is totally dependent on the counts per revolution. I took apart one on a general saw once and it only had 32 counts per rev so it only has accuracy within 11.4 degrees of handle moment, not counting the backlash.

I would be hesitant to use one of these for accurate table movement. Now if it was a magnetic type sensor attached to the cast iron that would be a totally different story.