Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any musicians/studio jockeys here???

Any musicians/studio jockeys here???

Tyler's thread has spawned a little interest, so lessee who's got game....

I play sax. Tenor, bari and bass. I play bass sax on a VERY regular basis with a mummer's band in NJ. I was member of the year in 2007!!!! We march in 24 parades a year and perform at least 20 senior's centers, hospitals a year.

Some truely awful videos at our website:

http://www.denvillestringband.com/
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I started playing the guitar in Jr high like every young male of the 60s. Played in garage bands through High school and solo-ed through college.
    I began studio training 37 years ago because I new then I didn't have "the gift".

The aviation industry paid the bills, and let the wannabe axman/sound man gig on the side.

Retired now, so I'm working hard at both. Maybe some day I'll be a star.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 07-19-2008 at 9:09 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I took vocal lessons for 4 years. I sang 5 male leads in 5 operettas and started singing in a rock band at age 14. My first vocal teacher and I had an agreement. After a 1 hour lesson, we'd listen to 15 minutes of "My Music" and then 15 minutes of "his music". I introduced him to The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, etc.....He introduced me to Mozart, Bach, etc. The band lost it's bass player who moved to CA so I bought a bass and we kept on playing. Bass became a passion with me. I like those bluesy songs..those driving songs.....I hopped through several bands. When I moved to northern Illinois for a job on oil rigs with my Dad, I heard several bands out of Chicago. I quickly sold my equipment. I was never going to have that amount of talent or skill. Shortly there after, I got drafted and enlisted instead, met my wife and became an instant family of 4 on E-2 pay. 25 years later the LOML walked up to me and gave me the check book and said "Go buy that guitar you've been wanting."

I'm sitting here looking at my Fender Power Jazz bass and 300 watt amp. Since losing the hearing in my right ear due to a viral infection, I play maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I don't even want to chance losing what hearing I have left.

Music soothes the savage beast in me. Though.....I gotta admit.......this close to age 60....the beast isn't as savage as it once was!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

...learned to play the recorder in 3rd grade, took up trombone 4-12th grades... picked up the guitar while in the Army...still playing the axe today(35+ yrs later). I don't gig.. no desire. I had to sell a couple Les Pauls to buy woodworking machines,when I wanted to start into that hobby. I still play daily, in the computer/music/hunting room, butat low volumes(thank the Lord for Master volumes.. ).
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    The aviation industry paid the bills
    Tyler, pilot or other? My son has his licence, we took a 2.2 X-country yesterday. He's looking at UND, Embry.... He's not interested in the cockpit though, he'll be going for busness... more portable.

My brother in-law flys 777's for Air Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I don't even want to chance losing what hearing I have left.
    I had to leave a community band for that reason. The trumpets caused my ears to ring for 2 days after every rehearsal.

Mitch.....Tyler retired from the FAA. He was a maintenance supervisor/manager for a large portion of the Midwest IIRC. Everybody just thought he was a silly guy skiing, sailing, playing his axe and doing a little woodworking. But NO....he was a pro!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Keyboard player since I was 4 years old. Haven't played "out" in a long time, but I still have my Kurzweil and will be putting it back in the house shortly now that I have space. I've also done some sound reinforcement work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I took lessons back in the 60's for about a year before I got tired of what the teacher was teaching. (The guy was a cousin to Hoyt Axton, and a very talented folk guitar player and singer, and music major at the local college) I played and sang in group of 3 at the BSU in college, very small time. All acoustic. My niece has my old Ventura 6 string. (see, I told you small time!!) But I still have my Conn 12 string in the closet. Sure love the way that guitar sounds. mybe I'll pick it back up one of these days. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

"...The guy was a cousin to Hoyt Axton..."

I had a good friend named Victor who played sax. He used to live right next door to Ry Cooder who decided that he had talent and was teaching him stuff. But he pissed Ry off by being so flakey that Ry finally decided he was wasting his time. So Victor had to go back to playing the sax. Talk about blowing a good opportunity!
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries

Wink thunderstorm in progress

I have been a mostly rock drummer for 29yrs.
    Prefer to play 'in', too much hassle to move my big kit.
    No egos, just play along with my favs at concert volume at home.
    Ya, I hear all the concerns about hearing loss, I have been trying to be
    careful for the last two decades. What did you say??

I currently play maple Pearl Masters with a boatload of other shiny stuff.
    My longtime heroes are John 'Bonzo' Bonham and Neil 'god' Peart.
    I used to play a few hours daily, but now just when I can steal some time.
    It pains me that the music I love is now considered classic rock!

I am also a hack guitarist...I will never be any good, and I will never quit!
    (on guitar that is, I have learned my way around the drumkit by now)
    I'm out with a flourish,
    Walt
    Last edited by Walt Caza; 07-19-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Caza View Post
    I have been a mostly rock drummer for 29yrs.
    Prefer to play 'in', too much hassle to move my big kit.
    No egos, just play along with my favs at concert volume at home.
    Ya, I hear all the concerns about hearing loss, I have been trying to be
    careful for the last two decades. What did you say??

I currently play maple Pearl Masters with a boatload of other shiny stuff.
    My longtime heroes are John 'Bonzo' Bonham and Neil 'god' Peart.
    I used to play a few hours daily, but now just when I can steal some time.
    It pains me that the music I love is now considered classic rock!

I am also a hack guitarist...I will never be any good, and I will never quit!
    I'm out with a flourish,
    Walt
    with that attitude, you'll be better than you'll imagine!!!
    and how about Mick Mason of Pink Floyd.. that guy is as rock solid as any drummer out ther, even @ his age!!!
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

Started the guitar about 1963-4 and went from a folk group to a 9 piece fusion group (try putting that on your local VFW stage some time) and more different groups than I care to think of, mostly blues rock but did a stint in a country band once......and only once... hehe

Was lucky enough to have a good friend from high school who was a whiz on musical instrument repair, so I always ended up with some pretty interesting combinations.

Favorite axe was prob the 335 Gibson, Hoffman acoustic and a Gretch solid body model forgotten, also I had a D175 Gibson for awhile and that was one sweet sounding axe, Fender pre CBS Twin was prob favorite amp, it was modified a bit also.

Played till a brain abscess left me paralyzed in my left side and after rehab, just didn't want to start over again, sold all but the Hoffman and I pick that up occasionally to remind me I don't play anymore.

Great ride but its over for me.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Hey Al, every musician needs an audience. Be the best ear you can be... love every note and you'll make someone's day.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Tyler, pilot or other? My son has his licence, we took a 2.2 X-country yesterday. He's looking at UND, Embry.... He's not interested in the cockpit though, he'll be going for busness... more portable.

My brother in-law flys 777's for Air Canada.
    Hey Mitch,
    Solo-ed many years ago and that was that on the flying side. Turned my wing verticle and started sailing.
    Inspected NAV systems from the air for a short time.

UND is a good school. The FAA is hiring controllers!!
    I hired on avionics tech from UND and worked with a lot of ATC from the school.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 07-20-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/