Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: precision square

precision square

Hello , Im looking to buy a precision square and combination ,pro tract ,center finder kit . Any suggestion at a reasonable price

Incra makes a lot of good measuring devices of any type. I particularly like their T-Rules.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Bite the bullet and buy the Starret. You will use it on every project you do and will never regret it.

BTW, I bought the protractor head and have used it about twice in the ten years I've had it. Unless you're doing a lot of non-90 degree angles you may want to wait to see if you need it.

The Mitutoyo is also very good (combination square). Equal to the Starrett in every way. I prefer the older green body ones to the new grey body ones. I find them to be very smooth and accurate.

Mike

[added comment: I find the green body ones operate smoother than the grey body ones.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-18-2008 at 12:40 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Tucker View Post
    ... Any suggestion at a reasonable price
    Just for comparison purposes, the 12" Starret set (square, protractor head, and center finder) in recently completed eBay sales went from about $65 to $120.

Completed sales of equivalent Mitutoyo sets were $60 to $70.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Incra is better

I have a Starrett 12" set with and extra 18 blade. I like it and it's very accurate. I especially like using it as a story stick. But...

For more precision when checking square, I use an Incra "Guaranteed Square": http://www.amazon.com/Incra-GSQR7-Gu.../dp/B0000639X2.

For precise marking, I find the Incra T-Rules are much better. I have an 18" set and a 6" set, and the 3" Tiny T-Rule.

I think they are spendy, but very reasonably priced. Trust me... There's nothing like wasting work and materials because your measuring instruments aren't accurate to make you appreciate the good stuff. (DAMHIKT) They may cost more now, but you save in the long run.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Knishka View Post
    Bite the bullet and buy the Starret. You will use it on every project you do and will never regret it.

BTW, I bought the protractor head and have used it about twice in the ten years I've had it. Unless you're doing a lot of non-90 degree angles you may want to wait to see if you need it.
    +1

Although I do use the protractor for setting up jigs to sharpen plane irons, etc.

Buy the Starrett and as a bonus you'll actually be buying one of the few products still made in this country
    The other benefit is if you ever decide you don't need it anymore, (not likely, but???), you can sell it and recoup most of your investment, buy a harbor freight or equivelant knockoff and that's a lot less likely.
    JeffD

I second (third or what ever) go with the Starret on ebay they are much cheaper.

I use one if these and love it

http://www.woodpeck.com/1281.html

I have the Incra also, but I think Woodpeck.com is doing a GREAT job with their

http://www.woodpeck.com/media/main_1281.jpg
    Bartee Lamar

I don't think Starrett is the only company that makes precision instruments, but I too have a sentimental attachment to them and would tend to give them a first look.

I also would recommend the Starrett, but for a very practical reason. The lock bolt for it is designed in such a way that it is very easy to flip the rule portion of the square around. On many of the less expensive units the lock bolt will either fall out or function in a fashion that makes changing the blade, and thus the increment of measure, a pain. It is not that it can't be done with the other brands; it is just that the Starrett is a superior system. It is also a better system for moving the blade into a different setting as well. Lastly, the Starrett is very well made; it is definitely a tool that will last you a lifetime. I went from a Craftsman Square to the Starrett and have never regretted for a minute the money I spent on it. The Brown and Sharpe and Mitutoyo squares are also considered to be superior in their design so I am certain you would be well served with one of those as well.

Starrett....IMHO the best.
    Jerry

HF Tools

Always knocking harbor freight. Why in no time at all maybe a day, weeks or even hours or minutes any precision tool from them can easily be used or resold for a small boat anchor. You might even find just the right shaped hole in a concret wall somewhere that it could be used as a filler. So please do not knock the resale value of these fine tools.

BTW - I do have a digital 6 inch caliper from them that has worked perfect for over 5 years. I have a set of guide blocks and they measure right on every time.

Funny thing about squares.

Either it is or it isn't.

Don't get me wrong.

As a conceit I collect squares.

Some people its matchbooks.

So yes I use a Starret in the shop.

But still square is square.

So for those on a budget remember doesn't matter what name is on it.

as long as its square and stays that way.

Find a square in a garage sale for a dollar?

If its square does that make it worth a hundred? Presuming you are working with it and not collecting of course.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence