Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What WW Magazines do you like/dislike

What WW Magazines do you like/dislike

I thought this would be an interesting discussion. I subscribe to several WW Magazines and thought it would be interesting to hear your opinions on which ones you like or dislike and why.

Woodsmith - I like it, very good project plans, no adds.
    WOOD - it is OK, I like their tool reviews, sometimes the pictures seem old.
    Woodworkers Journal - it is OK, there are a lot of adds to sift through.

You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...king+magazines

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Thanks that is what I was looking for.

My favorites

I like Fine Woodworking and Wood. I have subscibed to most of the others but cut back. I like the tips and tool reviews in both of these mags. My least favorite are Shopnotes and Workbench.

Cabinetmaker is always a good read for me, it's geared toward the small shop and best of all, it's a true bargan- it's free!

I subscribe to Fine Woodworking and generally like it. I've found, however, that over the years the editors have to try really hard to come up with new material to cover. As with any specialty publication, there are only so many basic concepts to cover and those articles were done a long time ago. I enjoy the features on individual woodworkers and the section where readers submit their work. I find the tool comparisons to be more or less useless: they're generally too beholden to advertisers to say anything too negative about anyone, so the comparisons don't give you much basis on which to distinguish one machine from another, particularly within a given price range. SMC is a much more useful source for that sort of information.

Shopnotes is my first choice.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I subscribe to Popular Woodworking, and always enjoy it. The plans, the tool reviews -- I read it cover to cover. I sometimes pick up Fine Woodworking. I would subscribe to it if I felt that more of it was within my skill set. I am impressed/depressed when I see the reader's gallery.

On a separate note, I used to subscribe to Workbench, and really liked it. Before I owned a house, I always looked at a lot of the "woodworking for home improvement" plans, and thought -- I'll make that when I own a house. Now that I own a house, the magazine has completely changed. They really aren't a woodworking magazine at all anymore. I have since canceled my subscription and have no intention of going back.

Cheers,

Chris

Anybody remember Taunton's Home Furniture? I sure miss that one. My copies are book-marked with projects I'd like to do someday.

I like Shopnotes and Woodsmith. I also get Wood, Popular Woodworking, Woodworkers Journal.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I would add Popular Woodworking's no-ads spin-off, "Woodworking", to that list. [I'm not where I have them at hand, so I hope I'm getting their names correct.]

I like Woodsmith and Wood. I also get Popular Woodworking, but like the first two a little more.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I just picked up the August issue of Woodwork. Never had seen the mag before. Wow. Lots of very beautiful creations out of wood. Based on this one issue, the mag seems more about the result than the process, and more about the art than the craft of woodworking.
    I will be subscribing.
    My other subscriptions are Fine Woodworking and Wood.

I used to subscribe to quite a few...all the usual suspects. I now only subscribe to Fine Woodworking and Woodwork.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking are the 2 i've been getting for several years now, But, Woodworking Magazine is So Much better that i bought all the back issues (in book form) and couldn't be happier.

Jim Becker, you should get this. Trust me.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work