Thread: Table Saw Startup Sound ... er, NOISE...

Table Saw Startup Sound ... er, NOISE...

Trying to describe a sound is not easy. There's a saying: "writing about music is like dancing about architecture". And trust me, there's nothing musical about the sound of my saw when it starts up...

So here, in full stereo splendour, is a recording of the saw in question:

http://www.rgdaniel.com/tablesaw.mp3

It's a Delta Hybrid left-tilt, new this year, very lightly used.

I know I have power issues, and will soon be addressing these (converting to 220V, dedicated line(s), 20 amp) with an electrician, but thought I would inquire to the collective wisdom of yous guys. Thanks for listening...

Cheers,
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Daniel; 07-16-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    An MP3 is worth a thousand words. Couldn't tell if that was rattling or grinding. If grinding, use the warranty. If rattling, I would tap the top with a rubber mallet and try to locate the (hopefully) minor loose object. Keep us posted.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Soundsike a loose pully hitting the guard on start up.
    Earl

tablesaw start up sound?

Sounds like a loose shroud around the blade ( under the table) or a loose
    pulley, hitting the blade guard.

Blog Entries
    Isolate the noise. Take the blade off and start the saw. If you still hear the noise, remove the belt and start the motor.

It sounds like a loose belt hitting the belt guard.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

What Earl and Jim said

MANY THANKS for all the feedback and opinions guys, appreciate it!!!

Here's the latest: If I remove the blade, the sound does not happen.

Tried it with the only other blade I have, a smaller but heavier finger joint set (until now unused) and the sound comes back. Either blade, the grinding sound is present. No blade, no grind.

There is no contact being made with the blade and any other part of the saw, no sign that it's wobbling, no damage. Maybe just the extra load of the blade itself is enough to set it off? (I'm reluctant to actually cut wood with it right now, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it hog the middle of my garage...)

So that's more food for thought for tomorrow when I speak to the vendor.

Thanks again, further theories still welcome.

Bob.

Can you hear anything at all if you spin the blade by hand (unplugged of course)?
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Can you hear anything at all if you spin the blade by hand (unplugged of course)?
    Tried a half turn or so, seemed normal, no grindy sound or feeling...

Check the machine key that connects the belt pulley to the motor. I have the same saw as you. For about a month mine was making some funny noises at start-up, until one night i went to turn it on, and the saw blade would barely move come to find out the machine key was missing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Smi View Post
    Check the machine key that connects the belt pulley to the motor. I have the same saw as you. For about a month mine was making some funny noises at start-up, until one night i went to turn it on, and the saw blade would barely move come to find out the machine key was missing.
    That's a good thought Jeff. You could check it by holding the blade stationary and rotating the motor shaft by hand or the other way around.

I would also check to see if the belt tension is right. A loose belt can cause all sorts of noise. The flutter of the belt hitting the belt guard would sound like that.

Ooh, Ooh, I just thought of one more possability. Is your blade locking nut tightening all the way down? If the spacer washer isn't the right thickness or the threads were not cut deep enough on the arbor shaft the nut could be bottoming out, leaving the blade loose on the arbor.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

UPDATE:

I spoke to the guy at Welbeck Sawmill who sold me the tablesaw and he was happy to arrange for the authorized repair guy to come. (The repair guy is not all that speedy, based on my first round of problems with this saw, but he lives around the corner from me, so I try to be patient...)

The salesman thought it didn't SOUND serious, but didn't actually have a theory. So I thought I'd try the saw again, I had a couple of quick bevels to cut in some softwood, figured no big deal. Well the grindy noise reappeared immediately that there was some load on the saw, as it appeared to labour heavily. The blade actually stopped once or twice.

Then all hell broke loose. There was a loud BANG, the side door of the cabinet flew open (I'd left it unlatched), and then it got real quiet. The motor was still on, but the blade wasn't turning. Not good.

Looks like not only the belt came off, but this heavy, half-grooved hockey-puck of a thing, which I think is what the belt goes on. It appears to require a small set screw to secure it to the motor shaft, but no sign of that. Also, I was unable to return the saw to 90 degrees, it bogged down about halfway, didn't want to force it. Even with the blade off, something is preventing it from returning to 90.

Not a happy camper. Want a new saw.

Smile Final Update

The Delta saw went back to the dealer today, when they delivered my new Steel City saw, earlier than promised. Can't say enough good things about Welbeck Sawmill, they've been fantastic.

Thanks to all who responded above, it was a learning experience for me.
    Which is not difficult, as I know so little.

Bob - nice to see you problem was resolved with a new saw but I count at least three Creeker's that resopnded to your post that had you problem with the original saw nailed (even the second reply).

most grateful for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Bob - nice to see you problem was resolved with a new saw but I count at least three Creeker's that resopnded to your post that had you problem with the original saw nailed (even the second reply).
    Yes, quite right, and I don't mean to seem ungrateful. The combination of expecting the repair guy to actually arrive, and my own inexperience with machinery (I've been more of a software/wetware guy until recently) meant that I failed to act in the saw's best interests, in time to prevent the final calamity. Jeez, that sounds dramatic... anyway, new saw, and a little bit wiser...

And again, most grateful for the help... my bad for not acting on it effectively